Dehumidifiers and damp.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dehumidifiers and damp.

It's that time of year again where my windows are soaking every morning. Last year we just grinned and bared it, with an attempt at using some of those pots with the little crystals in to collect a bit of the water. This year I want to go all out and buy a dehumidifier of some kind, particularly now I see they can be used to dry clothes quickly too.

So my question is, does anyone use one/have any recommendations? I quite like the look of this one, and my research suggests the non compressor ones are best for use in the UK.

I know I could just open the windows but I've just sat for an hour or so in the cold now and it's not much fun, plus the bed sheets feel moist constantly which can't be good...

You can't just open the windows, you will need a dehumidifier. I have no particular recommendation but they are essential in our poorly designed buildings. We have a De Longhi one too and it works a treat.

Comment

You need to get to the source of the problem and then get the room dry. Sleeping in a damp room isn't good for you though so it might be worth getting a dehumidifier in anyway.
      I've had a problem with damp in the bedroom recently and I think we've got it under control now. Seems to have been a problem with the flashing around the old chimney. I'll be stripping the wallpaper next week to start drying the room out.

I don't know if it may be a bit cheaper just to hire a dehumidifier rather than shelling out just now.

Comment

Just seen this and wanted to say thanks to you two for responding!

I bought the DeLonghi in the end and it does a pretty good job but will never rid us of the damp it seems. Property inspection tomorrow so will talk to him about it again.

Found an amazing spray to get rid of the mildew on the walls/windows though - at the risk of sounding like an advertisement HG mould spray is really worth the overpriced ?5 it costs!

Comment

I had a delonghi dehumidifier in my old flat and leaving in on the "low" setting sorted out the problems. it may well not be a problem with damp as such - in my case it was simply that without opening windows there was no way in the flat for the air to circulate and as we dried washing inside a lot of humidity built up that caused mildew to form on walls etc (we also did not have an extractor fan for the hob so that also contributed a lot of humidity when cooking). it was amazing how much water the dehumidifier was collecting even on low! it also helped a lot not to keep furniture against external walls as those are cooler than internal walls so mildew built up much quicker on them

Comment

I'm having a similar problem in my apartment. I've had to stop putting my clothes into the closet because it was causing things to begin to grow on my clothes. They're in a cardboard box for now. I was thinking about buying a small electronic dehumidifier to put in the closet, but I also have humidity problems in my apartment itself. I could get a larger one for use in my apartment, but I'd need to leave the closet open all the time, or just buy two and keep them running all the time.

Comment

Sign me up for the same problem.

One of our wardrobes sadly has to be backed up on to an external facing wall and our clothes are forever cold and feel damp. We try to avoid drying clothes indoors too but our main problem is the amount of moisture we add to the air whilst we sleep at night. Only ever a problem in these colder months - our apartment is absolutely roasting in the Summer.

Will defo look into the Delonghi as it seems exactly like what we need to at least sort the job out for us.

Comment

Working...
              X