Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any tips for learning to make electronic music?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any tips for learning to make electronic music?

Been taking some lessons on music theory, and now I really want to start applying what I know in actual music creation. Looking to be making something that sounds a bit like College or I Break Horses stylistically. I'm sure somebody in here has dabbled in this.

Any good tutorials to guide me through it, special software recommended to begin with or general tips?

There are some great electronic musicians here who I'm sure will help. I'm a bit rubbish but I still enjoy it. One publication I would recommend is called Future Music magazine. I haven't read it in years so hopefully it is as good as it used to be and I won't be steering you wrong. It used to have loads of tutorials, tips and tricks but also discs with samples, free VSTs (virtual synths), drum machines and all sorts of stuff. Loads of it you can find on the web anyway but what I appreciated about it is that it basically just took the good stuff and usually showed you how to get the best from it - the amount of free stuff on the web can actually be overwhelming sometimes.

As for a place to start, people will probably recommend some software but so much of it is very similar so I'd say have a look at what people recommend and just pick one to try. I use an old copy of Cubase. Many enjoy Fruityloops or whatever it is called now... FL Studio maybe? Heard great things about Reason. But I'm out of touch with any newer software.

Comment

Where's Ady- does he still post?

Comment

Become a Robot, that's what most do.

Comment

Hoolak in da house?

Comment

Working...
          X