No announcement yet.

Keep Fit Club - ALL exercise types!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Runners keep asking me what speed to do Tempo runs or what even they are, so I wrote this Tempo Run definition article.

Comment

I've been getting back in to mountain biking. The running has been mostly not very much fun since the 50 miler. It was always a risk due to how I was under-prepared, and it really mashed my whole system. I'm enjoying getting out on the trails, but not the actually running bit. So I'm doing very short runs and some bike rides for smashing around and having fun and going fast.

I think it's good to have a fall-back for when running isn't fun. Pilates, swimming or whatever. It's sometimes called a running slump so I wrote about it.

Comment

My GF has started going to a personal trainer with her son. She can barely move I hope he doesn't beast them too much - he sounded sane, but not everyone is good at spotting when people are doing too much.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
          I've been getting back in to mountain biking. The running has been mostly not very much fun since the 50 miler. It was always a risk due to how I was under-prepared, and it really mashed my whole system. I'm enjoying getting out on the trails, but not the actually running bit. So I'm doing very short runs and some bike rides for smashing around and having fun and going fast.

I think it's good to have a fall-back for when running isn't fun. Pilates, swimming or whatever. It's sometimes called a running slump so I wrote about it.
          After my off last year I've just got back in the saddle a few weeks ago though I do now sport elbow protectors.

On a side note just back from meetings in London last two days, pre-covid since I was last there, lot's more cycle lanes and seemingly lots more people on bike which is great - plus loads on these battery scooters.
          The stunts some of these cyclists pull though in traffic is crazy, we had all noticed it. If any of them came up to Manchester and tried the same on the roads here they'd be dead inside five minutes.

Comment

Am on a bit of diet, in prep for July having some big events on; 2 Weddings, my Wife's Birthday, best friends 40th, 10 day holiday and an old work reunion. Hectic is an understatement!

Started 2 weeks ago at slap bang on 100kg and tipped the scales yesturday at 94kg. I'm completing a 5.5km run each Tuesday and Thursday on my work lunchbreak and a 10km run each Sunday, although today I pulled a 14km out the bag! Diet wise, I'm not eating a breakfast, having just a Bananna and Apple for lunch and a massive but healthy dinner with no desert.

If I hit 90kg by the end of June then I'm good, but hope to be comming closer to 85kg, and the dream is to hit 80kg before I ease off and then maintain that weight.

In the past, if I just exercise or eat a so-so diet then it doesn't work but if I commit and skip breakfasts, maintain my running and stay away from all diet style foods / bread / carbs then the weight falls off me. Still awhile to go but couldn't be happier with the progress!

Comment

Nice one [MENTION=680]Wools[/MENTION]

Comment

Does anyone have an elliptical cross-trainer? I'm thinking of getting one for the home.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                  Does anyone have an elliptical cross-trainer? I'm thinking of getting one for the home.
                  I’ve used a cross trainer at home for years. Great machines for cardio and ease of use. I have a dodgy knee so I need low impact exercise making an elliptical is ideal.
                  Don’t skimp on the cost of a decent machine. The very first model I bought lasted a few days before going back. When I assembled it I couldn’t see what was keeping the handles from winding off the spindle. Which then happened. I can’t remember the make but the manufacturer sold products under several brand names including Reebok and looking into it their machines all looked pretty shoddy. Didn’t expect John Lewis to sell tat like that.

I have a Kettler elliptical now. It’s rear wheel drive and quite compact. Try to get something with a good heavy flywheel and test the gap between the foot plates. If you’re not tall a wider gap can be uncomfortable. The actual ellipse described by machines varies it shape with some being quite shallow. See what you feel comfortable with if you can test it out. If I can help you with any other questions drop me a PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                    I’ve used a cross trainer at home for years. Great machines for cardio and ease of use. I have a dodgy knee so I need low impact exercise making an elliptical is ideal.
                    Don’t skimp on the cost of a decent machine. The very first model I bought lasted a few days before going back. When I assembled it I couldn’t see what was keeping the handles from winding off the spindle. Which then happened. I can’t remember the make but the manufacturer sold products under several brand names including Reebok and looking into it their machines all looked pretty shoddy. Didn’t expect John Lewis to sell tat like that.

I have a Kettler elliptical now. It’s rear wheel drive and quite compact. Try to get something with a good heavy flywheel and test the gap between the foot plates. If you’re not tall a wider gap can be uncomfortable. The actual ellipse described by machines varies it shape with some being quite shallow. See what you feel comfortable with if you can test it out. If I can help you with any other questions drop me a PM.
                    I was looking at this one as space is at a premium:

As I immediately realised that anything under the £300 mark is probably a waste of time (there are surprisingly many cheap ones which look like they'll fall apart), but this seems to have a good writeup. The weird thing with gym equipment is they tend to go <£200, then £400, £700-1000... Then jump to like £5,000+ which are the commercial ones.

Comment

That looks ok. The cross trainer I have at present is a Kettler model which was about £800 nearly five years ago. The model I had prior to that was a Pro-Form brand machine which was about £500 seven years earlier. There’s a big difference in the quality between them though. The Pro-form had the head unit replaced twice, the PSU once and a couple of bearings replaced too. The adjuster on it snapped and the cost of repair out of warranty was nearly as much as the machine cost in the first place. The Kettler has been flawless and is smoother and quieter in operation. The adjuster on it is magnetic so nothing to snap on this machine.
                      The Pro

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                        That looks ok. The cross trainer I have at present is a Kettler model which was about £800 nearly five years ago. The model I had prior to that was a Pro-Form brand machine which was about £500 seven years earlier. There’s a big difference in the quality between them though. The Pro-form had the head unit replaced twice, the PSU once and a couple of bearings replaced too. The adjuster on it snapped and the cost of repair out of warranty was nearly as much as the machine cost in the first place. The Kettler has been flawless and is smoother and quieter in operation. The adjuster on it is magnetic so nothing to snap on this machine.
                        The Pro
                        I see Jon Lewis have this one:

Comment

Eight resistance levels seems a bit low the Kettler unit I have has 18. I suppose it depends on the step between each unit. Looks like a compact unit and the flywheel weight is ok.

Comment

So my workplace have agreed to pay for my elliptical trainer; they normally give an allowance to pay for the gym, but have let me use it for this - up to £50 a month. So I've been revising my budget as I may as well go for one which is a bit better.

Looking at this one:

Anyone got any experience with these? I mean I've had plenty with ellipticals but not home ones.

Comment

I used to have a Pro-Form machine which I only replaced as the cost of repair after the tensioner went was silly. That model linked above wouldn’t have that issue. The adjustable stride length is a good feature too. Overall it looks pretty good.

Comment

I'm based in Reading part of the week now, so if you know anyone that wants a running coach near Reading, send them my way. Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                                X