No announcement yet.

Keep Fit Club - ALL exercise types!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure. My legs hurt all the time My left thigh is killing me. Does it stop you running? I think with shin splints, it doesn't go away either, so if you say it's worse at the start, then it's possibly not that.

Are you warming up properly? At least a minute brisk walk before breaking into a slow jog for a couple more mins and maybe some gentle lunges to activate the glutes.

Injury is always a tricky one though - if you are worried, see a doctor.

Comment

Yay, made the BBC sports page - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rowing/22888198 (front rower, facing the cox. I'm also one in one of the boats next weekend ).

Comment

Hah. Quality. And on the same page as a picture of Ennis.

Comment

2lbs for this week, gents. So half a stone for the month.

Getting to just under 11 again is still far off but I'm seeing results now; in the morning (and only in the morning mind) I can see my upper two abdominal muscles again - they disappear towards the end of the day.

A stone and a quarter to go. Can see this getting tough.

Comment

Originally posted by Kit View Post
            2lbs for this week, gents. So half a stone for the month.

Getting to just under 11 again is still far off but I'm seeing results now; in the morning (and only in the morning mind) I can see my upper two abdominal muscles again - they disappear towards the end of the day.

A stone and a quarter to go. Can see this getting tough.
            Well Done. How is the craving for sweets going? hopefully that question has not triggered the urge.

Comment

Oddly enough the chocolate cravings have completely disappeared. I have a pack of low fat crisps now and then and the occasional cereal bar if there's no fruit, but I just don't feel like eating them anymore.

Maybe it's because my stomach is shrinking because I'm having smaller meals?

The appetite just isn't there.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                Not sure. My legs hurt all the time My left thigh is killing me. Does it stop you running? I think with shin splints, it doesn't go away either, so if you say it's worse at the start, then it's possibly not that.

Are you warming up properly? At least a minute brisk walk before breaking into a slow jog for a couple more mins and maybe some gentle lunges to activate the glutes.

Injury is always a tricky one though - if you are worried, see a doctor.
                It only hurts really at the start of a run but then sort of goes away if I power through it. Has only been happening this week so I may have caught on to this problem early or it could just be that I'm not stretching enough at the start. Anyway I will be stretching more and will get some better trainers or padded in-soles to take away some of the battering!

Kit - Are you building up muscle yet? I lost half a stone of weight until the muscle built up and most of the weight came back! I'm feeling a lot bigger around the chest and shoulders area just from basic exercise (no weights) and my legs are looking in good shape. Really want to go below 11 stone though so will be addressing my diet more, especially with evening meals.

Comment

Fader, I was wrong (if you can trust wikipedia)

"In early diagnosis, individuals may experience pain at the beginning of a workout, which may go away by continued activity and then occur again at the end of the activity. As the syndrome progresses pain may stay throughout the whole training or during low intensity activity and may continue at rest. Range of motion in the ankle and foot should not cause pain."

Comment

Yeah that was pretty much the kind of thing I found the other night, I'm just going to rest for a little while and do gentle exercise for the time being. It did start when I decided to run every night instead of every other night so that does make sense.
                    Was just getting good at running too!
                    You guys know anywhere for some decent trainers without spending too much money? I would check the sports shops but most of them seem to have shut down in Norwich.

Comment

Do you know what gait you are? If not, try the "wet test". If you need a neutral shoe, then you don't need to spend much money. But if you need a support shoe, then be prepared to spend anything up to ?100.

Comment

Fader, does it feel like your shins are burning at the beginning of the run only?

If so, it's just tight shin muscles that haven't been warmed up properly. I used to have this very problem when I used to land on my heels and like you, they used to loosen up partway into a run.

I used to do a number of things to loosen them up during my warm up. I would stand on my toes and raise my body up and down 10 - 20 times slowly. If you can find a kerb, place the middle of your foot on the edge and drop you heels lower then the kerb 10 - 20 times. Also, rotate your feet in and out, from left to right. If I had the time, I would adapt this final warm-up and write out the alphabet with each foot.

Went for another Parkrun PB attempt today and came back home with 20:00 for a 2 second improvement. I could have smacked my head against a brickwall - this sub-20 minute finish is doing my nut in!
                        Last edited by Taka; 15-06-2013, 20:28.

Comment

Have you tried doing some other form of training for a while?

Comment

Like cycling, or swimming etc?

I would like to and I've been told many a time to "train like a triathlete, race like a runner". Sadly, I don't have a bike (did consider getting a BMX in the bike thread, but didn't come through) and swimming is a real inconvenience here in the middle of the city.

I have shaken my running schedule up in the last 2 months and that's helped produce a 20-30 second average increase in pace to get me to where I am today. Additionally, I know my body doesn't take to training in a linear manner so what I'm doing today may not materialise for another 2 weeks, maybe 2 months.

I'll get to sub-20 minutes. A guy I occasionally train with and regularly race with has agreed to train up for a big PB attempt in 4 weeks' time. We both know we can eke out a few extra seconds from each other when we're really racing hard against each other.

Comment

Trying to record my progress this time. Please excuse the poor dress code - I do not dress to impress around the house!

In the first one I'm 12'9 1/2, In the second (current weight) around 12'2.

Comment

I did my first 'race' last weekend at Tough Mudder and absolutely loved it. I've never been overly keen on running, but combine it with mud, climbing, electric shocks and ice water and the results are way more fun than they have any right to be It was 12 miles and took about 3 hours give or take. The hardest part was running with shoes filled with mud and always being wet.
                                Last edited by H-Man; 16-06-2013, 01:45.

Comment

Working...
                                X