Keep Fit Club - ALL exercise types!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kit View Post
    Trying to record my progress this time. Please excuse the poor dress code - I do not dress to impress around the house!

In the first one I'm 12'9 1/2, In the second (current weight) around 12'2.
    Good work, Kit. Visually recording and taking measurements is a good way to log progress. Simply weighing yourself can be misleading at times.

Originally posted by H-Man
    I did my first 'race' last weekend at Tough Mudder and absolutely loved it. I've never been overly keen on running, but combine it with mud, climbing, electric shocks and ice water and the results are way more fun than they have any right to be It was 12 miles and took about 3 hours give or take. The hardest part was running with shoes filled with mud and always being wet.
    I've always fancied some of the crazier races like Tough Mudder, Tough Guy or even Men's Fitness magazine's Survival of the Fittest. There's a bit of snobbery amongst some running communities about the 'purity' of the obstacle races but the way I see it, there's plenty of both types of event to satisfy all audiences.
    Last edited by Taka; 16-06-2013, 15:01.

Comment

Originally posted by Taka View Post
      I've always fancied some of the crazier races like Tough Mudder, Tough Guy or even Men's Fitness magazine's Survival of the Fittest. There's a bit of snobbery amongst some running communities about the 'purity' of the obstacle races but the way I see it, there's plenty of both types of event to satisfy all audiences.
      Do it The camaraderie is what made the day. Dragging each other through the mud, over walls, and psyching each up for the the evil ones! Everyone's got a smile on their face and wants to help. I'm actually doing Survival of the Fittest in Nov, which looks like a nice quick urban style run (or movie chase scene as it will be in my head), but am a little put off by Tough Guy due to it being in January! It was hard enough being constantly wet on a great sunny day in June. My brother want to do the Monster Race that's also in November (and has a bog of eternal stench!) and I'm going to really try and get fit enough for the Spartan Beast next year. I also don't get the snobbery you mentioned - it's all good fun and good exercise.

Comment

Anyone got the Adidas boost trainers?

I was thinking if they give you more energy return surely that makes your workout less efficient? okay you can run for longer but surely if you you get the energy return from the shoe and run longer your just extending a workout that could have ended 2 miles ago? I guess I am trying to say the shoe is doing some of the work?

I am trying to figure out what trainer to get after my Nike Free 3.0. I loved that shoe but its well battered now.

Comment

Here's my review of the Adidas Energy Boost.

The sole is pretty incredible. It compresses more than EVA, so the impact is smaller (slower deceleration), but then amazingly tries to get back to its original shape. I'd expect people to get injured less in them. I've got a sample of the material and it defies logic. However, that energy return compared to your total weight is very small, so the result from the boost will be less noticeable on short runs. The Adios Boost has already one two of the main marathons this year, and that's the length of race where I'd expect to see noticeable gains.

As for any notion of making it less of a workout, it's probably true. But do you go out running with weights round your ankles to make it harder? Or perhaps you should run in a baggy T-shirt instead of a singlet because it's less efficient (aero)?

The good thing about the boost sole is that it won't get battered. Mine is showing no sign of compression or even any sign that I've used them at all, apart from a slight wear on the rubber outsole. However, for serious running/racing, I'd wait for the Adios Boost, not the Energy Boost. The Energy is an all-round shoe. I'm trying to get hold of a pair of Adios Boost at the moment, but they only did a 500 limited batch, with the rest to follow in August. sweatshop have 7.5, 9.5 and 11.5 (I need 12). Or if you can't wait, then just Adios 2. Quite different from the Free though, with a 10mm drop.

Note: the Adios 2 falls apart after 400miles for me. Half of the knobbles on the sole peeled off. I used them harshly on and off road for marathon training - I would happily buy another. I still use them even though some of the grip fell off - they feel fine and have plenty of miles left in the Adiprene+ forefoot (the bit that takes the abuse from me)
          Last edited by charlesr; 16-06-2013, 20:26.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
            Here's my review of the Adidas Energy Boost.

The sole is pretty incredible. It compresses more than EVA, so the impact is smaller (slower deceleration), but then amazingly tries to get back to its original shape. I'd expect people to get injured less in them. I've got a sample of the material and it defies logic. However, that energy return compared to your total weight is very small, so the result from the boost will be less noticeable on short runs. The Adios Boost has already one two of the main marathons this year, and that's the length of race where I'd expect to see noticeable gains.

As for any notion of making it less of a workout, it's probably true. But do you go out running with weights round your ankles to make it harder? Or perhaps you should run in a baggy T-shirt instead of a singlet because it's less efficient (aero)?

The good thing about the boost sole is that it won't get battered. Mine is showing no sign of compression or even any sign that I've used them at all, apart from a slight wear on the rubber outsole. However, for serious running/racing, I'd wait for the Adios Boost, not the Energy Boost. The Energy is an all-round shoe. I'm trying to get hold of a pair of Adios Boost at the moment, but they only did a 500 limited batch, with the rest to follow in August. sweatshop have 7.5, 9.5 and 11.5 (I need 12). Or if you can't wait, then just Adios 2. Quite different from the Free though, with a 10mm drop.

Note: the Adios 2 falls apart after 400miles for me. Half of the knobbles on the sole peeled off. I used them harshly on and off road for marathon training - I would happily buy another. I still use them even though some of the grip fell off - they feel fine and have plenty of miles left in the Adiprene+ forefoot (the bit that takes the abuse from me)
            Nice review. And thanks for the response. I hear your point about ankle weights and a baggy t-shirt. I tried on a pair of Adios Boost (sweatshop) and they felt amazing, they weigh next to nothing and although I would not class myself as a serious runner like you and Taka I lean towards them more then the normal boost. Unfortunately I just had lunch and they did not have a treadmill so I could only run up and down the shop a few times, with a massive belly of food. They have less boost material then the normal shoes which appeals to me for some reason. Although energy boost look as though they could handle the trail better.

I might wait until August and therefore more opinions/experiences with Adios boost.

Comment

Personally, I think there's nothing wrong with using lightweight racing oriented shoes for everyday training runs so long as your biomechanics are fine and your pockets are quite deep given the faster rate of wear on them.

Comment

Hoorah - I have been waiting for this little sucker to come out after its showing at CES this year, and now it is upon us. I'm already a bit of an advocate for the Withings scales, so I'm hoping these work nicely in harmony.

Haven't posted in here much lately but I've been keeping up with the looking after myself better lark - regular gym sessions, eating better etc

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
                  Hoorah - I have been waiting for this little sucker to come out after its showing at CES this year, and now it is upon us. I'm already a bit of an advocate for the Withings scales, so I'm hoping these work nicely in harmony.

Haven't posted in here much lately but I've been keeping up with the looking after myself better lark - regular gym sessions, eating better etc
                  Now that does look smart! I'm intrigued by the sleep analysis part since I tend to sleep quite poorly and don't always commit myself to rest days in my schedule...

Price seems quite reasonable too, so long as they don't just whack a ? sign where the $ sign is.

Comment

I think you might be best waiting a little while till they show up on amazon UK, I jumped the gun a bit and ordered a pair from their European store; after shipping and ? -> ? conversion it was pretty much ?200 on the nose. I'll report back once I've got 'em and have tried it out!

Comment

Is that not just a fitbit?

Comment

Hopefully I've managed to locate a pair of clown sized Adios Boost, so I'll report back as soon as I've tried them out. With me some time in the next couple of weeks.

Comment

First week back running, though I'm walking the hill on my 4 mile run, Jesus I'm so unfit. That's what a month and a half of working 7 days a week does plus a load of junk food.

Still, good to be out again

Comment

Quick update! Still at the gym loads, down another 2kg (33kg in total!) Weight is stripping off very slowly now, but I am adding weights into my regime.

I'm surprised I've managed to keep it up!! Here's hoping I can make my target sooner rather then later!!

Comment

Originally posted by ETC View Post
                              Is that not just a fitbit?
                              Super similar, yeah. Some different bits though, and different software and so on too

Comment

The mountain biking is eating into my runfit levels a lot. I need to up my game.

I went for a 9km run yesterday and after a few warm up sprints, I did the 5th km in 3m40s. It felt like I was at the limit. This is disturbing. 20 years ago I could happily run a mile in 5 minutes, but if I'd kept running at that pace, a mile would have arrived in 6 minutes. I'm hoping this is just because I spent all last year doing distance running. I need to somehow up the power in my legs, so I'm going to do km intervals on a regular basis to see if I can speed things up a bit.

Comment

Working...
                                X