Keep Fit Club - ALL exercise types!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Taka View Post
    For those interested, a report of my results from my recent visit to the Asics Running Lab in London.
    Thanks for posting that, that was a really interesting read. I love all that stats and analysis stuff! Plus there's information in there that you can take on board to become even faster. Maybe if I've still got the same enthusiasm for running this time next year, I'll put it out there as a possible combined birthday/Xmas present - this year it's all about the PS4 though.

Well done, M0by! Sub-19 is a great achievement - really pleased for you! Did you say you were a club runner? If not then that's some great quality running from you.
    Nope, I'm not in a club. Running solo! I was part of a running club (18 years ago) from about the age of 15-18 but once I started working full time, the running stopped. Whilst I know being part of one would help me get faster, my training is really erratic. I'll get out 4-5 times a week but what time I'll go out at and where I'll go and how fast are far more 'spur of the moment' decisions than 'every Tuesday at 7, Thursday at 8' etc. I think the club routine would dampen my enthusiasm in the long run.

Indeed, as Charles says I PBd with 19:36 this morning on my home course by 21 seconds! Beats my all time Parkrun PB by some 17 seconds too!
    Excellent PB there and a 'relaxed' joint second best ever today wasn't too shabby either! I'm sure you'll be in great shape for your Cardiff attempt.

How did you get on today, M0by?
    Ran 18:37, my 6th PB in 7 outings. The event is postponed next week & I'm travelling with the family on Saturday morning for a Bank Holiday weekend break, so there'll be no parkrun touring for me either. Definitely intend to get back to the 'flat' Southend course by the end of September though. My mile splits today were 5:36 (slight uphill, large downhill section then flat), 6:18 (flat then long uphill section) & 6:16 (downhill again then back up it again), so at Southend maybe I can take a minute of the last effort & hit 18:17ish.
    Last edited by Mr M0by; 17-08-2013, 20:36.

Comment

Sometimes, you'll find sports scientist students conducting experiments for research etc so you can get similar tests for cheap/free.

I've toyed with the idea of joining a club over the last year but like you, I don't want to overly restricted by when they train and other social commitments they may have. I enjoy the relative simplicity of just lacing up and getting out there.

Right back at you with congrats on your 6th PB. I think the best PB streak I had was 4 in a row and that was ages ago during my early Parkrun days. Looking forward to hearing you blow Southend to bits. I'm toying with Wolverhampton Parkrun after checking its profile, but I may save that one for when I start to plateau again for an easy PB.

Comment

Quick progress update.

14 stone, 12 stone something, now I'm around 11.

Really want to reveal those lower abs but it's tough.

Any tips would be helpful from those that have achieved this.

Comment

Looking good, Kit!

Don't have any tips unfortunately but keep up the good work.

Comment

Originally posted by Kit View Post
            Quick progress update.

14 stone, 12 stone something, now I'm around 11.

Really want to reveal those lower abs but it's tough.

Any tips would be helpful from those that have achieved this.
            Lying your your back lift your legs 45 degrees then alternately scissor your feet.

Lying on your back crunch your elbows and knees together then cycle elbows and knees so they avoid one another.

The plank!

When the above gets easy put your feet on a step or something.

Enjoy!

edit: Well done bud, great results!

Comment

Good of you to put an image up of your progress Kit. Over how long of a period are those 3 images btw?

Getting back on jogging as of this week as my local city has loads of routes to get out for half an hour. Once I get my stamina back and my bones stop aching as much I'll be right back where I want to be (in about a month's time probably).

Anyone got any good recommendations on tracks for jogging/running?

Comment

Assume you mean music tracks... I have a rekaxing trance album that suddenly goes nuts after 15mins which really gets me going, punching the air and stuff.

Comment

Quite pleased with this morning's run. 6km.
                  100m climb in first 3km. 100m descent.
                  5.35 warm up cos I literally woke up dressed and ran out of the tent.

It was my second run after a 3 week break since the 24hr

Comment

ty gents and for the tips, press start.

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                    Good of you to put an image up of your progress Kit. Over how long of a period are those 3 images btw?
                    1 pic a month for 3 and a bit months. I'll post a recent one tomorrow or over the weekend. I'm kind of surprised tbh as I kind of look alright (chest arms) a month on from the last pic but that waist is stubborn.

Comment

Went out hard at Cardiff Parkrun this morning for a 19:23 PB. Been doing a good amount of high quality sessions which have left me destroyed but it's clearly doing something right. Scored more PBs in the last 2 months than I have for all of 2013!

Comment

Excellent progress Kit The last bit of stubborn fat will almost always be diet based, as is anything when cutting (well and bulking for that matter).
                        What are your goals mate, to lose weight, gain mass etc. etc.?
                        3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

Anyone done P90x or insanity workout?
                          Have done Insanity - didn't really fit into my goals as I'd argue the cals are too low to maintain muscle and cut (which they are )
                          It's a great programme for shredding but you WILL lose muscle unless you're on roids. I found the bulk/cut method (when I was bodybuilding) was much more effective. Insanity, much like BB, never really got me that fit, but I looked pretty good. Doing fight training with some MMA I potentially look 'worse' but am much fitter. Thing is Insanity and all these short-term programmes are a bit faddy I find. To get what you want (which of course varies) you need to invest in the long-term. I'd argue also Insanity isn't really beginner friendly, again largely due to the diet programme, which while ok, lacks the required level of protein for decent muscle synthesis and (much like cutting in BB) leaves you feeling pretty ****ty. Sure people will argue with me, but I weghed about 205 lbs at about 13/14% bf when I did Insanity which is pretty built and cut and I struggled, as all it did was strip fat and muscle imo.

Also for those interested in getting decent scales, a lot of the measurements are ****. Buy a mid-range pair of scales and some body calipers, far better for fat loss measurements. All that fat percentage nonsense on the scales is way off. I've yet to see a pair that's correct.
                          Last edited by Escape-To-88; 24-08-2013, 15:19.
                          3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

Went out hard at Cardiff Parkrun this morning for a 19:23 PB. Been doing a good amount of high quality sessions which have left me destroyed but it's clearly doing something right. Scored more PBs in the last 2 months than I have for all of 2013!
                            Congrats on the time. 30 seconds of your previous Cardiff PB wasn't it? Is it just coincidence that I start running the Parkrun at the end of June & posting in this thread and your competitive edge kicks in and you keep smashing your PB's?
                            Last edited by Mr M0by; 24-08-2013, 20:47.

Comment

Originally posted by Escape-To-88 View Post
                              Excellent progress Kit The last bit of stubborn fat will almost always be diet based, as is anything when cutting (well and bulking for that matter).

What are your goals mate, to lose weight, gain mass etc. etc.?
                              I'm just wanting to get down to 7% bodyfat atm but it seems to be melting off (another 2lbs in a week). I want decent sized forearms and a hercules belt (unsure if that is more genetic though) so what would you advise?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr M0by View Post
                                Congrats on the time. 30 seconds of your previous Cardiff PB wasn't it? Is it just coincidence that I start running the Parkrun at the end of June & posting in this thread and your competitive edge kicks in and you keep smashing your PB's?
                                Hehe! I am a wee bit competitive but it is just coincidence. I've been working hard on speed ever since I completed the London Marathon where I just seemed to lose all of my speed. Really pleased with how my running has been going lately where I seemed to have plateaued earlier in the year, stuck with the same-old times with little to no improvement.

And yep, 30 seconds off my previous PB set in Cardiff 8 weeks ago. I think sub-19 might be within grasp before the year is out! My autumn half marathon target keeps moving around too as a result where I've now settled on a sub-1:33 finish.

Comment

Working...
                                X