Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
    Find out!
    I know, I know. [emoji2] I'm a bit over cautious when it comes to battering my legs, in case it gets in the way of my next training run. I rarely have more than 1 day rest, so this week was kind of an exception (bank hols threw my schedule).

Perhaps I'll do a few more weekly sessions then attempt an all out and just see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Taka View Post
      Positive mental attitude!

In a race environment with other people, it'll happen. Treat it like a proper race with a small taper, a good night's rest etc. Beauty of the 5k is you can recover quickly from it. Each attempt is in effect training for the next time, too.
      Yeah that is definitely true. Even if I do a hard parkrun I always manage my LSR the next day regardless. One thing I could do is visit my nearby running track, and do 5k TT there. Hmmm.

Comment

I also need to sort my diet out big time! Don't know how I've slipped back into awful old habits. Beer on week nights, junk food lunches. It's terrible.

Comment

Avoid lots of beer on evening after a hard run (long or fast). Better policy than weekdays vs weekend

Comment

I think it's easy to get into the mindset that you're burning so many calories a few biscuits and nana mexico lunches won't matter. But I know the reality is that all that crap doesn't fuel you properly or replenish what you need after a hard run. I'm not knocking back kegs or anything. Just talking 1-2 bottled ales. It's the habitual aspect I'm disappointed about.

Comment

Yeah, but even 2 bottles significantly reduces growth hormone production, so will impact recovery. Have them night before a tough run lol

Comment

Man, I reckon hard sessions the day after a beer or two are way more sufferable than a long 'easy' run with that mental fuzziness (aka dehydration). Just feels like it's never gonna end! [emoji16]

Comment

Did you see that BBC documentary about the effects of binge drinking? Looks like my comment about dehydration alludes to a probable myth. Hangovers are more likely due to being poisoned by excesses of Acetaldehyde that breaks down alcohol.

Comment

Walking like John Wayne after my first proper session hitting the iron... My pal is PT so i've enlisted him to get me back on track.. It's much easier training with a partner than trying to push yourself alone, especially when it comes to weights..

Did some tasty leg presses even if I do say so myself, so my strength hasn't completely wilted after such a long break from training.

Comment

Another solid session today, really pleased with how these are going.

5 x 800m

Last week -- Today

1. 3:12 (3:59/km) -- 3:08 (3:54/km)
                      2. 3:11 (3:57/km) -- 3:09 (3:55/km)
                      3. 3:12 (3:57/km) -- 3:04 (3:49/km)
                      4. 3:03 (3:48/km) -- 3:11 (3:56/km)
                      5. 3:06 (3:51/km) -- 3:04 (3:47/km)

Again, 2 minutes walking recovery between reps.

Comment

Are you going to work on faster splits or reducing the recovery time? 2mins seems quite a lot, but I'm not an interval expert.

Bought some Saucony Peregrine yesterday, so going to do the running club trail run today to check them out - if they are ok, I'll try them out in the South Downs Way Relay race on saturday.

Comment

Once again, good looking splits.

Charles is right in that you should now start to reduce the recovery period, perhaps by 10 - 15 seconds. A general rule of thumb is to try and get the recovery down to half the time it takes to run the split when running 800s, so around 90 seconds as you get closer to 3:00 splits.

Keep up the good work!

Anybody catch Panorama tonight about Alberto Salazar and Galen Rupp's doping allegations? Will be a dark, dark day for athletics if true...

Comment

Thanks chaps. Yeah, I feel confident that I could do this session consistently each week now, which means I need to make it a bit tougher. I wasn't sure which to do next time: 5x800m with shorter recovery (1:45ish), or keep the 2 min recovery and attempt 800>1600>800. Either would be a big challenge! [emoji16]

I heard about Panorama but didn't catch it. Have to check it out, it sounds quite concerning.

Charles, I dread to think how many pairs of shoes you must own by now! [emoji3]

Comment

Been to the hotel gym each night this week. Weights today. Trying to make up for the amount of training course biscuits I've been consuming.

Comment

Excellent. More biscuits!

Comment

Working...
                                X