No announcement yet.

Keep Fit Club - ALL exercise types!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there any accepted wisdom on what to focus on for improvement? Faster splits vs shorter rest vs more splits? Or is it best to do all 3 to keep it interesting...

Comment

Terry and I discussed this a couple of pages ago, and I think we were non-conclusive!

This is how I see the differences:

5x 800m reps, 90 seconds recovery: bread and butter session
      Shorter recovery: sharpener by improving lactic acide tolerance/clearance
      More reps: sharpener by improving endurance

Comment

I asked a real runner and he said do more splits or longer splits. He suggested 1mile reps with 90s rest. The terror

Comment

3x1mile was all I could manage. 5:31 (90s rest). Horrible.

Spent this morning on the South Downs hammering hills for 10 miles. Much more fun.

Comment

Went to AirHop today, which was awesome fun, but tweaked my ITB. Bloody painful. Can barely walk. Guessing a few weeks off....
            Last edited by charlesr; 10-08-2015, 22:03.

Comment

On my honeymoon in Thailand and I've given in and completed two 10k runs on treadmills. It's too hot, humid and crazy to run outdoors!

Comment

I ran the Sure Run the Beat 10k today in Wembley. Did absolutely no training at all and had 3 pints of beers on Friday night but really wanted to do this one as I did it last year (my first ever 10k).

Good news is that I beat last year by 4 mins but bad news was I never go close to beating the hour mark which is my goal. It is a very hilly course though and I guess taking 4 mins off with no training is a good results in the end.

Looking to do a flatter course next.

Comment

Did the mountain trail challenge in the Brecon Beacons on sat. 20 mile route through some horrible terrain. Haven't done any training in 2 years really and it really showed by the end, i was a wreck. This was walking btw, sod running that route, especially pen y fan.

Comment

Extreme.

Comment

Easy marathon this morning / afternoon. 145bpm. In Mizuno Wave Ekiden 9s (racing flat with massive toe box).

Comment

Please don't tell me you done that before work!

I've recently just moved jobs so my lunchtime work out buddies are gone but my new office has showers on site so I don't have to travel to a gym and then drive back during my lunch break. But as the new place is really flexible for hours (I can work 8am-4pm with 1/2 lunch break or 8am-4:30pm with 1 hour lunch) it's too tempting to come home at 4pm which means no lunch time run...

I'll have to work out a new plan once I've settled in a bit. Could come home and run outside but I love running on Sunday morning as it's so quiet around my neck of the woods, whereas 5pm on a work day will be jam packed with pedestrians and cars, so that's a non starter. Could run in the morning but I'll have to wake up super early and 6:30am is early enough.

It seems like my only 2 real options are running at lunch and coming home later or leaving at 4pm but signing up at the super posh Surrey Sports Park but that means no outdoor running. Decisions!

Comment

I used to do marathons before breakfast (leave at 5.15am), but I sort of retired, so I can do them during the day now. Or whenever.

Comment

Retired from work? Lucky chap!

Comment

Life at the top of the Pyramid is paying dividends it seems!

Comment

Best thread I could find for my current situation (it was either this or the 'your favourite crisps' one).

Some context for those who didn't read the irk thread: I have massively high hypertension, age 37, weight 61kg, 170cm in height and skinny.

Started on a Paleo diet two weeks ago, or as near as I can manage in Japan.

My blood pressure has not lowered as of yet. I have lost close to 3kg (that I didn't particularly need to lose). Still getting headaches although it's not daily anymore, too early to draw conclusions on this.

However yesterday was my kindergarten sports day, a very labour intensive day for us - hauling heavy wood panels, vault boxes, planks, iron bars, heavy mats into and out of two ton trucks and onto and off the field at high speed. I coped alright with this, although during the short breaks when the kids were on the field I started to get some cramps.

Muscles let me down in the teachers vs parents event though. In pairs, we had to push a giant ball down the field, around a cone, continue to the end, turn another cone, and then sprint the ball back to the next waiting pair in our team. My partner and I were second in the staff team, and we steamrollered the opposition.. up until the final sprint we were way in front. I had to overtake the ball in the final stretch to stop it and pass it to the next pair, but when I tried to lay the power down I could feel my knees just start to buckle. Like the batteries were drained. Rather than try to continue running down the field looking like the ministry of silly walks and being a laughing stock I chose to hit the dirt - rolled into the fall and came out of it alright but it was massively embarrassing to just collapse like that for no obvious reason.

I can't explain it, I knew my limits but apparently they have changed. Is this due to the diet? For the remainder of the event and the meetings afterwards I was getting cramps in my thighs, calves, back, arms... makes me think I'm deficient in some necessary mineral, but I'm eating a lot of mushrooms and sweet potatoes so I should be getting more than enough potassium. I didn't feel any cramping when I was running.

By all reckoning I should have MORE energy, not less, and be fitter now that I've cut all the crap from my diet.
                                Last edited by Darwock; 28-09-2015, 09:25.

Comment

Working...
                                X