Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you're over 40, it can take a while.

Comment

I think my injury is getting better. Annoying but must be patient. Been doing a lot of cycling and the odd run. Did a Forever C9 review (Clean 9) that I did with great results. Also a little bird tells me I might be getting a TomTom GPS watch for Xmas with optical HR sensor
      Last edited by charlesr; 15-12-2015, 09:46.

Comment

Originally posted by gunrock View Post
        Luckily I'm not quite (38) & I've already started getting some good gains.

I really should have taken some measurements before I started but I am seeing nice improvements week on week & felling much better about myself & how I look.

I'm not back to where I want to be last time I trained but I'm not far off.

I'm happy with where I'm at so far & the best bit is I'm really enjoying the training, been so long but taken to it again in a big way.

Neil

Comment

Originally posted by gunrock View Post
          Yep, twenty years ago I could go on holiday for a couple of weeks, come back and find no problems with my Sunday morning 5k, now it's like I haven't exercised for a year!

Comment

So the New Year is officially upon us & is anyone making any plans for new routines or stuff?

I've signed up for the 10 week Body Building Warehouse Transformation challenge which begins today & I'm looking forward to pushing myself as hard as I can to get some noticeable improvements.

So anyone else aiming for bigger & better this year?

Neil

Comment

I've got myself a mentor so I can progress, but first I have to mend this damn foot, so there's very little going on at the mo. A few bike rides.
              Once it's fixed, I'm going to hammer a sub3 marathon.

Comment

Sorry to hear that man...what happened to the foot?
                Hope it heals up soon

Neil

Comment

Originally posted by Soundwave View Post
                  So the New Year is officially upon us & is anyone making any plans for new routines or stuff?

Neil
                  I’m starting afresh this year and want to re-gain my fitness and loose a lot of weight!

I used to run almost every work day, ran half marathon distance last year in 2 hours 15 minutes, competed in a fun run of mixed terrain and was at the fittest I’ve ever been, weighing in at bang on 13 stone.

However, I left my old job in late summer, started to not bother watching my food and only ran once a month at a distance of about 8km or so. Then Christmas happened and I knew I was feeling really portly and out of shape but decided to keep enjoying myself as what could I do, it’s Christmas! After the big day I got inspired again and rung up the old gym and signed up and along with a few other New Years clear outs with my life and hobbies such as gaming, I knew January was the month to start again! I used to be 13 Stone, this morning I was 14 Stone 10 lbs and I want to aim to loose around a stone this month with my hard diet and work out goals, but if I only loose a few lbs then so be it. End goal is around 12 Stone and I know I can do it.

So I’m cutting hard in January, eating very little and every lunchtime, I’m going to run 5km on Monday, Wednesday, Friday then Tuesday and Thursday will either be rest days or weights. When it hits February I’m going to become more sensible in my diet and eat more but continue the exercise like I used to so I can loose this weight.

As a little motivator, my Wife has just brought us Fitbit Charge HR’s and she’s going to be joining me at the gym a few days a week. Really looking forward to it!

Comment

Sorry to hear that man...what happened to the foot?
                    Hope it heals up soon

Neil
                    Overdid the long runs without backing them up with weekly mileage (long runs should be no more than 1/3 of regular weekly total). Lead to a weak ankle which I rolled inwards on a trail and crushed some nerves and soft tissue around the big toe (September). Taking forever to heal. Taking all my willpower to not be super grumpy.

Comment

Originally posted by Wools View Post
                      I’m starting afresh this year and want to re-gain my fitness and loose a lot of weight!

I used to run almost every work day, ran half marathon distance last year in 2 hours 15 minutes, competed in a fun run of mixed terrain and was at the fittest I’ve ever been, weighing in at bang on 13 stone.

However, I left my old job in late summer, started to not bother watching my food and only ran once a month at a distance of about 8km or so. Then Christmas happened and I knew I was feeling really portly and out of shape but decided to keep enjoying myself as what could I do, it’s Christmas! After the big day I got inspired again and rung up the old gym and signed up and along with a few other New Years clear outs with my life and hobbies such as gaming, I knew January was the month to start again! I used to be 13 Stone, this morning I was 14 Stone 10 lbs and I want to aim to loose around a stone this month with my hard diet and work out goals, but if I only loose a few lbs then so be it. End goal is around 12 Stone and I know I can do it.

So I’m cutting hard in January, eating very little and every lunchtime, I’m going to run 5km on Monday, Wednesday, Friday then Tuesday and Thursday will either be rest days or weights. When it hits February I’m going to become more sensible in my diet and eat more but continue the exercise like I used to so I can loose this weight.

As a little motivator, my Wife has just brought us Fitbit Charge HR’s and she’s going to be joining me at the gym a few days a week. Really looking forward to it!
                      Awesome stuff hope you get back into it & start seeing the results.
                      Should come naturally once you get back to it

What are those Fitbits like?
                      Missus is looking at them but I know next to nothing about them.

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                      Overdid the long runs without backing them up with weekly mileage (long runs should be no more than 1/3 of regular weekly total). Lead to a weak ankle which I rolled inwards on a trail and crushed some nerves and soft tissue around the big toe (September). Taking forever to heal. Taking all my willpower to not be super grumpy.
                      Ouch that sounds ridiculously painful man.
                      Is it getting better at all?
                      I bet it is, hope you can get back to it soon.

Neil

Comment

It is far better now, but failing to notice it early enough meant I continued to run rather than cutting back to pure recovery mode quickly enough. Trainers were hiding the symptoms; when I tried a barefoot run, I was like "man, this does not right at all" and went straight to the podiatrist, but far too late by then. I'll probably have to start doing a more holistic regime including weights to strengthen up muscles that are important for supporting the foot (all the way to the glutes). Booking in with the Physio. He said the strengthening programme would take a long time and mentioned short cuts like orthotics and support trainers, but I don't really want to be lumbered with devices that will further degrade any strength, even if they let me run sooner. Long term plan.

I got a TomTom Runner 2 Cardio for Christmas. It's excellent. Unless you want to be nannied, it's an excellent option for any person doing sport involving distance (run / cycle / swim). It has modes for treadmill and stuff. And will detect the turn at the end of the pool so you don't have to count. It lets you determine intervals in advance (distance or time) with rest periods - a major plus for me because I'm always out of my mind after 6 sets and can never remember how many I've done or how long I've been standing there on a rest (it vibrates to say go or stop). The optical heart rate monitor is pretty good as long as it's snug enough on the wrist. The website and app are pretty basic, but they have only just moved off mapmyfitness, so early days. It automatically uploads to strava. Bluetooth to the phone for gps updates and activity uploads (sleep / daily steps / daily calories / exercise sessions)

Comment

Awesome stuff hope you get back into it & start seeing the results.
                          Should come naturally once you get back to it

What are those Fitbits like?
                          Missus is looking at them but I know next to nothing about them.

Neil
                          Thanks man!

My first run yesterday was very hard (5km run in 32 minutes, used to be able to achieve 25 minutes) but todays run was easier for me and felt better afterwards. Limbering up a bit!

I've only had a Fitbit since 6pm yesterday but it's proving to be very powerful if you're looking for more data about your fitness and sleep. Also, I wanted a fitness tracker as a statement of intent and a bit of a motivator. It's automatically set up to track your steps with a 10,000 step goal so when I'm sitting on my arse doing nothing, I'll know the Fitbit is tracking me so it's best to get up and do something active.

Aside from just motivating, I wanted to track my heart rate during workouts as it's something i never had access to when I used to run and want to know how hard I'm pushing myself. You can hook it up to other apps like My Fitness Pal or Run Keeper and it'll incorporate your heart rate to know how many calories you burn during rest and whilst exercising. Below is a screenshot of my current heart rate activity during today and it breaks it down further on the Fit Bit website:

Also, if you wear it to bed, it tracks how well you're sleeping so you get an idea of whether you need to improve your sleeping habits or whether you're bang on the money!

It's a really cool device if you're an active person so I fully recommend one. I brought the Fitbit Charge HR as it has the heart rate monitoring whereas the cheaper ones don't.

Comment

Anyone have any idea where I can get some tights for cycling designed for people who are tall and skinny? Sizing on these things is so stupid, Small fits my waist but are about six inches too short, L/XL have a decent leg length but are about ten inches too big around the waist. Medium is just the worst of both worlds.

Why are these not sized like normal trousers?

So yeah, is there somewhere I can buy these things?

Comment

Originally posted by toythatkills View Post
                              Anyone have any idea where I can get some tights for cycling designed for people who are tall and skinny? Sizing on these things is so stupid, Small fits my waist but are about six inches too short, L/XL have a decent leg length but are about ten inches too big around the waist. Medium is just the worst of both worlds.

Why are these not sized like normal trousers?

So yeah, is there somewhere I can buy these things?
                              you could get some 9" length under armor boxers and just wear normal shorts over Amazon sell them

Comment

Try some with stirrups?

Comment

Working...
                                X