No announcement yet.

The Photography Thread 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you want to challenge yourself, go to a small wood and try and find a composition that actually works.

I found myself with a new aqcuisition this week, taking ownership of a Sigma DP2, which the above photo was taken with. I have previously owned a Sigma camera, namely the Sigma SD Quattro which I actually didn't enjoy using and didn't think that the images out of it were that great. The DP2 has a bit of a reputation for being slow and useless above 400 ISO, but it has a different Foveon sensor in it where all three layers have the same number of pixels and I think it actually captures a better picture.

It is slow, it is useless at anything other than base ISO, but it's much more fun to use. Will be the next vid on the YouTube channel most likely (started doing some filming for it, but the battery that came with it only lasted for 28 shots, the two new replacements I got seem better), either that of the Fujifilm X100 I bought as a birthday gift for my brother (the originals are still a good buy and possibly a better sensor/lens match).
    Last edited by MartyG; 09-03-2021, 19:17.

Comment

Another camera!

Well done, I'm looking forward to the vid.

Nikon are rumoured to be announcing their pro Z body tomorrow.

Comment

The Z9 it seems - it's official now, but there still aren't a lot of details about it: https://www.dpreview.com/news/721567...mirrorless-z-9

Seems more like a "Please don't buy the Sony Alpha A1 yet" annoucement.

I do like the look tho - definitely has the same kind of form as Nikon's Pro DSLR line, cameras that were built to last.
        Last edited by MartyG; 10-03-2021, 09:06.

Comment

Was really getting into Photography before lockdown, I started taking pictures of people during parkrun's but when lockdown happened obviously stopped.

I really want to get better at City shots and portrait pictures.

I currently have a Nikon D5500 DSLR and use my iPhone 12 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
            The Z9 it seems - it's official now, but there still aren't a lot of details about it: https://www.dpreview.com/news/721567...mirrorless-z-9

Seems more like a "Please don't buy the Sony Alpha A1 yet" annoucement.

I do like the look tho - definitely has the same kind of form as Nikon's Pro DSLR line, cameras that were built to last.
            Yep it's the battery Marty, it takes a version of the 18 size they use in the D3/4/5/6, the 15's are in the 'consumer' cameras.

Battery life is something I've been banging on about for ages, it's the main thing for me I want a all-day power supply. D4 gave me over 4000 shots per battery.
            With the D4 sold I was waiting for this announcement to come I just now want to know what sort of life it will give me.

Comment

I'd be surprised if the Z9 is anything close to 4,000 especially if it has a high refresh rate viewfinder. CIPA rating of the Z7 is 330 shots, so I'd expect about 1,200-1,500 for the Z9 (I'd probably err towards the lower end of that too).

If you're using LED displays all the time, then it's going to impact on battery use, probably going to need a spare or two to match the current DSLR bodies.

Comment

Yes sorry didn't mean to infer that my mistake.

If it could get over 1000 I would be happy. Current airline regs are generally no lithium batteries in the hold and usually three batteries, one in the camera with two spares - both with their contacts isolated in some way. Probably many people don't follow these rules but I keep to them.
                Three batteries should be enough for me.

Though yes, I really do applaud Nikon for not making the body a medium or small size.

Comment

The new batteries in the Sigma DP2 got 130 and was down to 1 bar on the battery indicator, so I think it might get about 150-160 on them. I spent a couple of hours filming for the vid this weekend and I'm actually quite surprised at the quality the DP2 is producing. I think having the different layers helps the blue hues in particular and the black and white capture appears to have more tonality to it (or it could just be my imagination).

I've not been shooting raw as the processing is a bit of a pain, so these are jpgs with a bit of contrast and clairty work.

Comment

Pic one is terrific, sax?

It's really captivating, feel I can look at it for hours.

I've never done any post production work on my pics - l know I should...anyway I just downloaded the new Nikon FREE replacement for Capture NX (it should have always been free) and it is very intuitive and much easier at least for me to get to grips with.

Comment

Post processing isn't a requirement (well, unless you're only shooting raw) - in camera JPG is post processing on its own.

The top pic is a crop of a 3:2 image (the Sigma DP cameras have an APS-C sensor in them) of a Saxophone. You can't do a lot of cropping on them as the output file is 2640x1780px, but once I got image into LR, I thought the top left didn't balance well with the rest of the image.

Last edited by MartyG; 15-03-2021, 16:00.

Comment

Yep the planes are always RAW, I only put them into JPG along with sometimes an adjustment on exposure.

If I'm putting examples up here then I might crop a bit in Irfanview but that's it, never sharpen or do anything else to them.

The new NX Studio I've found interesting though, playing around with the D-Lighting is fun.

Comment

Cutting the video on the DP2 at the mo, still a bit to do on it, but I have been enjoying using the DP2.

There's currently a DP2 Merrill on MPB, but for £300. I am quite tempted but I'm not quite sure it's worth the price tag given the limitations of the camera, these are not cameras for sports and require a lot of patience to use, take your time though and they can produce images you'd not think possible on such a small compact. There's also a DP3 (75mm equiv) there atm.

Comment

Ah that's great the above picture!

I like MPB, I look frequently. I might have to get a stopgap if I can travel in the UK in the summer so a Z50 + f mount adapter might do the trick.

Yes, I like that shot the more I look at it.
                            Last edited by Anpanman; 30-03-2021, 20:15.

Comment

Mid-day sun, never particularly great for photography, but it was too nice not to have a lunchtime walk.

I've been toying with the idea of trading some kit in and downsizing the wad of digital sensors - I could probably get by quite happily with a fullframe and 50mm

I've been looking at either a Nikon Z7, Nikon D850 or Sony A7RIV (possibly an EOS R). Tilting towards the A7RIV - I do like the A7II I have and the costs aren't too unreasonable given the specs (esp. compared to the D850).

One is from the E-P1 the other the A7II - so really it comes down to which I'd enjoy using the most, more than anything else.

Comment

A standard lens is where most of us started, well in my case it was a Helios 58mm f2 on my Zenith TTL.

I don't think there are any poor cameras today, as you say if you enjoy using it the ergonomics can outweigh a deficiency compared to another model.

Comment

Working...
                                X