No announcement yet.

The Photography Thread 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today's photos were brought to you via the Canon 10D and a Pentacon 50mm f1.8

Comment

Today's photos are from the D200 - I really do like using this camera despite having a D7000

Comment

Brought a brand new Nikon D3200 a week ago and took my first batch of photos.

Paint by M Woolgar, on Flickr

Metal Light by M Woolgar, on Flickr

Arch by M Woolgar, on Flickr

Water Wood by M Woolgar, on Flickr

Dial by M Woolgar, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
          Today's photos are from the D200 - I really do like using this camera despite having a D7000
          Have you had any problems with picture quaity on the d7000 marty? im having real problems getting sharp pics out of it, it never focuses on what i want even in single point af or mf, pictures always seem soft and with multiple points out of focus. Dont know whether ive got a duff camea or lens but its certainly not right or filling me with confidence .
          Last edited by fishbowlhead; 25-03-2013, 07:59.

Comment

MartyG, you've sure been busy taking photos. Liking the results. Just out of interest, how many cameras do you own and how many lens sets for each of them? Also, could you tell me your preferred shooting priority? Aperture priority is what I normally go for but with shots featuring movement I need to use shutter priority is using my Lumix 35mm–140mm lens since the lowest aperture on that is f5.4. A fantastic lens for stills, video and landscape but a bit heavy for real fast action.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
              Have you had any problems with picture quaity on the d7000 marty? im having real problems getting sharp pics out of it, it never focuses on what i want even in single point af or mf, pictures always seem soft and with multiple points out of focus. Dont know whether ive got a duff camea or lens but its certainly not right or filling me with confidence .
              No can't say that I have - are you sure it's not down to technique? Camera shake can make it look like a focus problem, so if you have long shutter speeds and zoom it can be down to this.

Just out of interest, how many cameras do you own and how many lens sets for each of them? Also, could you tell me your preferred shooting priority?
              I tend to shoot mostly aperture priority.

Currently I have:

DSLRs

Nikon D7000, Nikon D200, Nikon D40, Nikon D70 x 2, Canon 10D, Canon 20D, Fujifilm S2 Pro, Fujifilm S3 Pro

Digital compacts:

Casio Exilim EX Z850, Olympus C-50, Olympus C-480, Olympus C-2040Z, Olympus C-3030Z, Olympus C-4040Z, Olympus C-5050Z, Olympus C-420L, Olympus C-920, Canon A420, Canon A540, Canon A800, Canon G11, Minolta Dimage 2330 Zoom, Mustek DV5200, Mustek DV4000, Vivitar DVR-310 ( x two ), Vivitar DVR-510, Vivitar 3345, Nikon L11, Sony Cyber-shot DSC-S650.

Film Cameras

Canon EOS 3, Canon EOS 5, Nikon F5, Nikon F4, Nikon F100, Nikon F80, Nikon F50, Nikon F90x Pro ( x two ), Nikon EM, Olympus OM-1, Olympus OM-10 ( x two ), Olympus OM-30, Olympus Trip 35 ( x three ), Praktica MTL50, Praktica MTL5, Pentax K1000, Pentax MV, Pentax ME Super (this one is in bits at the mo).

And camera phones
              Samsung Galaxy SIII, HTC Desire, Nokia 5800, Samsung G800.

I have numerous lenses 50mm, 35mm, 17-70mm, 18-70mm, 105mm macro, 18-200mm, 70-300mm, 200-400mm and various others, none of them are really top-of-the-range. I should probably trade in all the bodies for some better glass

Comment

Im using the 35mm 1.8, usually on 640 iso with an fstop of 3.2 for a bit less dof. Shutter speed hasn't been an issue at all as the camera is so quick even in very poor light, though i suffer from very shaky hands which i thought was the problem at first but turns out its the focus points being off. Never focuses dead center despite the settings telling it otherwise. The below pic is the best quality I've got out of it so far, which was a massive chore to get, and still isn't very good plus the fstop on 1.8 produces to much dof.

Ive read up on it and apparently the d7000 suffered from a lot of focusing issues when it came out and afterwards, people came up with work arounds adjusting the micro adjustment in focusing, but thats not working on mine, well it does then it doesn't as i adjust it then the camera needs re adjusting again if i shoot something different.

Very unimpressed so far.

Comment

That shot looks pretty bang on to me.

Maybe you got a lemon as the D7000 is a superb bit of kit - this one is from mine:

Bright Moon Rising by MartyPG13, on Flickr - sharp as a tack.

If you think it's a problem get it sorted under the Nikon 2 year warranty.

Comment

I know, i did my research on what dslr i wanted if i stepped up to one. I watched the digitalrev review plenty of times to get a good look at his shots and they were amazing, sharp as anything and all at night, which was what drew me to it as im often in poor light where point and shoots struggle. I know what the camera can do, mine just refuses to do it, bah.

Going to send it back to get them both looked at, camera and lens and see what nikon says. Poxy cameras, thats every single camera I've had now that has either broken outright or gone wrong.

On the plus side, at least it still has a warranty being second hand.
                    Last edited by fishbowlhead; 25-03-2013, 09:24.

Comment

I've been bitten by the focus issue problem on two DLSRs now which is why I'm sticking with micro four thirds :-)

Comment

Originally posted by FSW View Post
                        I've been bitten by the focus issue problem on two DLSRs now which is why I'm sticking with micro four thirds :-)
                        Its daft, there supposed to be as good as cameras can yet, yet can't even focus properly, it quite common apparently, which is shocking.
                        Last edited by fishbowlhead; 25-03-2013, 09:33.

Comment

Panasonic's contrast detect AF is fast enough for me in most situations and I'll take 100% accuracy over speed usually.

Comment

Im glad others have experienced this too, i thought i was going mad when reviewing the pics, the x10 i had produces far better pictures than this d7000 model i have, all because it just refuses to focus properly.
                            Last edited by fishbowlhead; 25-03-2013, 09:39.

Comment

x10 uses contrast detect AF I believe? which would explain why it focuses without issue.

Comment

Originally posted by FSW
                                The Micro Four Thirds system is basically a DLSR though but without the mirror. I know a few people who scoffed at my GH2 until I challenge them to a photo shot. They soon shut up once they saw the results.

A good friend of mine has a Canon EOS Kiss X6i which is a really nice camera that can take very sharp images with fantastic detail but it's awful when it comes to auto focus. So bloody slow on any one of his 4 lens set ups. You can forget about using it for video.

Here's a picture of his camera taken with my old GF2 using the stock 14mm - 42mm lens (I think that was the lens)

Canon-kiss-x6i by Yakum01975, on Flickr
                                Last edited by Yakumo; 25-03-2013, 10:52.

Comment

Working...
                                X