No announcement yet.

The Photography Thread 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's a really cool photo, but personally I think the framing spoils it from being canvas quality.
    I bet you could crop something really cool from it though.

Comment

Originally posted by smouty View Post
      It would have to be a Nikon F3 for me. I always lusted after one and they still hold their value well today.
      F3's are nice, though apparently at the time a lot of the press guys weren't happy that Nikon only included a 1/90 mechanical speed if the battery failed.
      A lot of them tended to carry around an FM/FM2 as backup just in case.
      Originally posted by MartyG View Post
      I have a whole load of 35mm film cameras, including the tank that is the Nikon F5,
      An F5!

Am all jealous now!

Comment

You can pick them up for around ?200 now - but you really don't want to be carrying them around all day because you'd break your back. The F4 isn't quite as heavy.

Comment

...haha, that's really cheered me up, not only do you have an F5, but to back it up an F4 and a D2 - is it?

Very, very nice collection.

Weight doesn't bother me though, I drag this around with me;

Comment

It's a D2Xs, but that's was traded in for a D7000 a while back, thankfully before the price dropped on the D2 market.

Comment

Originally posted by Ampanman View Post
              ...haha, that's really cheered me up, not only do you have an F5, but to back it up an F4 and a D2 - is it?

Very, very nice collection.

Weight doesn't bother me though, I drag this around with me;

Just a walk around lens then

Comment

I got a new toy yesterday, it was ?20 from eBay - it's so tiny it's fab, truly a just stick in you pocket and forget about it stuff:

Looking at the moment at making some lens purchases; I'm currently considering the Nikkor 10-24mm for my D7000 and a Canon 70-200mm f4 IS for my Canon body. Has anyone used the 10-24mm Nikkor lens?

Edit - Have now purchased both lenses.
                Last edited by MartyG; 11-05-2013, 12:34.

Comment

That 70-200 is a nice lens, I have the old none IS version and that's great.

Comment

I got a new toy yesterday, it was ?20 from eBay - it's so tiny it's fab, truly a just stick in you pocket and forget about it stuff:

I have that camera! It's an Ixus 70 over here. Try out its macro; it's incredible - you can get close ups of insects and stuff. It will focus almost against the lens if you are lucky. It's great outdoors, but a bit pony for everything else. Mainly, it's tiny.

If you drop it while it's open, then it's pretty much broken. Do not get grit in the zoom. Ansmann NB4L batteries are not as good as you might think. ACME MADE camera bag is about right (space for spare battery) http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0048WPPQ..._df_B0048WPPQK

There's an option for retracting the lens immediately when you go to look at the results on the screen - really miss that on my GX1, and it properly rotates with sensors too.

Note: these thing are tiny. I had to stick the camera almost against them to get the shots.

Comment

That last shot is fantastic! Was that really taken on that little cannon?

Comment

Actually I just checked the exif and it was taken with the older Ixus 50 that I had before the 70. They are much the same apart from the pixel count.

Comment

Yeah it does a pretty good job on macro - but what I most like about it is the size.

I have a dedicated lens for macro, the 105mm Sigma which is excellent; the nice thing is that you don't have to get dead close to the subject, which is much better as you don't scare stuff off and you don't cast shadows.

Dynamic range is a bit of an issue though, highlights blown ...

Last edited by MartyG; 12-05-2013, 11:00.

Comment

I love a bit of macro.
                            I have a Fuji S8000 which can focus pretty close.

Comment

Great buy. I could do with something walk around, was looking at the latest Pentax/Fuji/Nikon waterproofs but decided against. I don't need a high pixel count so will probably go second hand.

The macro looks tremendous, might look into getting the Ixus 50 then.

Comment

Dynamic range is a bit of an issue though, highlights blown ...

Is that Stamford Lincolnshire, Marty?

Comment

Working...
                                X