No announcement yet.

The Photography Thread 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been toying with getting a compact to use when I can't be bothered to carry the D90 about, and the x20 and LX7 were on the shortlist but decided to challenge myself by using my phone camera for a few months instead. A few examples below, along with a long exposure to get back into photography after health issues have slowed me down recently...

Challenge by GarySmith70, on Flickr

Revisit by GarySmith70, on Flickr

Cornered by GarySmith70, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
      I like that first one Beard, have you got HDR turned on?
      I would suggest not given it's over exposed there's a great shot there though waiting to jump out with the right light.
      Yep no HDR, unfortunately it was really busy the day we went as it seems to be tourist season here : / so didn't have too much time to take the shot. I think if I had a bit more time could have got it right, always time to go back as it's only an hour away.

There were so many photo opportunities there though.

I went to Howes caverns as well and it performed quite well in low light:

I was disappointed with this shot as the sky seemed to fade out:

A couple from Niagara Falls Aquarium with the X20:

Is there any good techniques when shooting a subject through glass?

Comment

Originally posted by Garf View Post

Cornered by GarySmith70, on Flickr
        I like this one, especially how the end of the pier lines up perfectly with the horizon. Nice shot.

Comment

Originally posted by GluedOnBeard View Post
          Don't use flash and get a polarising filter, that'll help cut reflection.

Comment

Comment

Took this little buggers picture today with my phone. You'll have to click the link to see a good sized shot of the insect.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Comment

Can anyone help me out with why my photos are constantly looking so dull and washed out whenever I take a photo? I've recently started using Aperture priority mode on my Nikon D5100 but the results look no better than shots taken on auto mode. Where are all these quality looking shots coming from? Are these before or after extensive photoshop work?

Here's an example of a recent shot taken on AP mode, note how dull and **** it looks (and that's just the downsized version, it's even worse at it's original size!):

I'm using a tripod and a shutter remote so while I've tackled the issue of camera shake, I now need my photos to look more alive.

Here's the same photo but with some minor touch ups:

Now although there's loss of detail due to the contrast, it looks like a more interesting photo on the whole to me.
                Last edited by Daragon; 22-08-2013, 18:27.

Comment

Originally posted by GluedOnBeard View Post
                  Yep no HDR, unfortunately it was really busy the day we went as it seems to be tourist season here : / so didn't have too much time to take the shot. I think if I had a bit more time could have got it right, always time to go back as it's only an hour away.

I always leave HDR turned on on my iPhone, you can set it to save the standard photo and the HDR one simultaneously.

As for shooting through glass? High caliber bullets

Originally posted by Daragon View Post
                  Can anyone help me out with why my photos are constantly looking so dull and washed out whenever I take a photo? I've recently started using Aperture priority mode on my Nikon D5100 but the results look no better than shots taken on auto mode. Where are all these quality looking shots coming from? Are these before or after extensive photoshop work?
                  Do you shoot in Jpeg or in RAW?
                  Do you have a full sized version we can look at?

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                  Nice one FBH, it kind of looks like it's in Limbo or on a weird white moon
                  Last edited by EvilBoris; 22-08-2013, 20:08.

Comment

I always leave HDR turned on on my iPhone, you can set it to save the standard photo and the HDR one simultaneously.

As for shooting through glass? High caliber bullets

Do you shoot in Jpeg or in RAW?
                    Do you have a full sized version we can look at?

Nice one FBH, it kind of looks like it's in Limbo or on a weird white moon
                    I pretty much shoot exclusively in RAW and then save as a Jpeg after it's been through photoshop. Unfortunately I saved over the full sized image. Like I say though, it certainly looks no better enlarged. Must say though, there must be something really wrong when a mobile phone's camera is producing better shots than a DSLR (no offense Yakumo).

Comment

I can see what you mean, it does look very washed out, but I wouldn't say that the lighting was very good in that photo, the flash firing may of lightened up the sign a little.

Is it regular photoshop that you use.

Maybe find another show that you feel is very washed out and we can have a look and see what could be done.
                      Last edited by EvilBoris; 22-08-2013, 20:36.

Comment

Thanks boris, keep getting butterfly's fly in the factory, no idea why. Managed to make something of it despite being a pretty crap initial shot. It's come out all a bit surreal.

@daragon, did you come from a point and shoot? Using a dslr can be a bit of a culture shock at first until you get used to them. Raw files and Lightroom are your friends. It's a nice camera the d5100. Try setting the camera to vivid and upping the contrast a bit. It uses the same sensor as the d7000 I think and can seem a bit dull at first until you start getting the most out of it.
                        Last edited by fishbowlhead; 22-08-2013, 20:53.

Comment

I can see what you mean, it does look very washed out, but I wouldn't say that the lighting was very good in that photo, the flash firing may of lightened up the sign a little.

Is it regular photoshop that you use.

Maybe find another show that you feel is very washed out and we can have a look and see what could be done.
                          Photoshop elements 10 I'm using currently so just basic tinkering really. I've just formatted my card so not got any more shots, hoping to get out tomorrow and give it another go though.

Yep, pretty much came from a point and shoot. Bought myself a couple of guides on the camera but following the advice seems to go nowhere.

Comment

I'd definitely say track down Lightroom, that is generally much easier for actual digital developing and it's a really good tool to manage them.

I often take hundreds of photos on a trip out, only a handful may be worthwhile making into something. It's far easier to take a lame photo than a good one.
                            I sometimes spend ages editing a photo that I like the idea of, but for whatever reason it just doesn't work.

Comment

I'd definitely say track down Lightroom, that is generally much easier for actual digital developing and it's a really good tool to manage them.

I often take hundreds of photos on a trip out, only a handful may be worthwhile making into something. It's far easier to take a lame photo than a good one.
                              I sometimes spend ages editing a photo that I like the idea of, but for whatever reason it just doesn't work.
                              This. That butterfly pic was one of 50-60 shots trying to get it in the position i wanted and still required a lot of editing to match what I had in my head.

Stick with it daragon and itle all click at one point. Awesome pics that get posted online or are printed in mags often have dozens of hours of editing not to mention the trip/holiday/assignment to go get them.

Comment

I reckon I need to shadow an actual photographer again before I see any actual improvement. I can take only so many photos that come out drab and dull looking before I give up for another 3 months or so before I decide to take another whack at it.

Comment

Working...
                                X