Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TommyG View Post
    Thanks mate. It's a 7D with a 400mm f/5.6 prime
    Intentional to use a crop sensor to get more focal length or just what you use?

Comment

I think I've used up Normanton Church for a while now - still more areas of Rutland Water to go to though.

Comment

The 7D has great auto focus and a high fps for birds in flight. I've just been discussing this very question on Rllmuk as to weather it's better to have a full frame camera due to the better image quality. But I got my 7D second hand from eBay so was happy I didn't pay a lot for it. I'm wondering if the 5D mark 3 would give better results...

Comment

Also can anyone recommend a good all round camera for ?500?

Comment

Originally posted by TommyG View Post
            The 7D has great auto focus and a high fps for birds in flight. I've just been discussing this very question on Rllmuk as to weather it's better to have a full frame camera due to the better image quality. But I got my 7D second hand from eBay so was happy I didn't pay a lot for it. I'm wondering if the 5D mark 3 would give better results...
            The 7d is a lovely camera, takes really nice pictures and I'd say one of the best all round dslrs, coupled with the 1.4 50mm it's almost perfect, I've weighed up getting one a few times.

I got my d7000 for ?450, pretty good camera for the money.

Comment

I believe my 70D has the same AF system as the 7D and I have to say, it's amazing. The 5D Mk III appears to have an even better AF system too!

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                I believe my 70D has the same AF system as the 7D and I have to say, it's amazing. The 5D Mk III appears to have an even better AF system too!
                5d mk 3 is on another level again being full frame. Anyone here used both the 5d mk2 or 3 and a d610? Plenty of vid reviews but I'd be interested to hear someones take on the two cameras.

Comment

I'm quite tempted to pick up a Canon 5D mk1 given you can get them for ?300 now - it would be interesting to see how they compare to newer APS-C cameras. If I was going to go full frame I'd probably go with Canon over Nikon because of the lenses I've got.

Comment

Canon are buggers for splitting up their models

You've got the 6D and the 7D, with the 6D being better optically due to being full frame and then having GPS and some other consumer features, but the 7D having better auto focus and faster continuous fire.

Then you've got the 5D MK3 which is even more expensive again,has the better optics and the auto focus, but no GPS and is missing various other video modes and stuff.
                    Why can't they just make one that does all of these things?!

Nikon are just as annoying too, with certain features only being available on certain models.

I would have gone for one of Nikon's full frames as I think their sensor tech is a few steps ahead of Canon for the same price, but they were missing features too and would have required me to move to a new lens system.
                    Last edited by EvilBoris; 11-07-2014, 13:20.

Comment

A couple of shots I took this morning of a slug having breakfast:

I only have a 30mm macro lens so you need to get pretty close to the subject, which isn't ideal when you're trying to avoid scaring it away! A Tamron 90mm or Sigma 105mm would be nice, but I need to find a second hand one for a decent price.
                      Last edited by EJG1980; 11-07-2014, 13:31.

Comment

I'm revisiting my RAWs of days gone by and am finding some nice stuff I never touched or things I want to redo now my tastes and skills have changed.

Corto Maltese by EvilBoris, on Flickr

Storks and Satellites by EvilBoris, on Flickr

Shepherd by EvilBoris, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by EJG1980 View Post
                          I only have a 30mm macro lens so you need to get pretty close to the subject, which isn't ideal when you're trying to avoid scaring it away! A Tamron 90mm or Sigma 105mm would be nice, but I need to find a second hand one for a decent price.
                          Look nice and sharp - the trouble with having a Sony is there aren't as many 2nd hand lenses about. Canon or Nikon you'd be able to pick one of those up < ?200 no problem.

Had a play with the Samsung NX10 with an M42 28mm f2.8 today - not that easy to manual focus with the EVF actually.

Last edited by MartyG; 25-07-2014, 07:51.

Comment

It looks like you managed ok!

Comment

Cheers. Upped the aperture a bit and with the 28mm there's a bit more depth, so it gives you more of a chance to get something in focus. It's not terrible, it could just use a few more dots - the one in the Nikon V1 is a lot better.

A heads up - it's a super moon this evening, so there might be some good moons shots available so long as it's not cloudy: http://www.theweek.co.uk/health-scie...w-can-i-see-it

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                                Look nice and sharp - the trouble with having a Sony is there aren't as many 2nd hand lenses about. Canon or Nikon you'd be able to pick one of those up < ?200 no problem.
                                At least there are old Minolta lenses available to boost the selection, but as you say, it's still nothing compared to Canon and Nikon.

I really like the Sony SLRs though and have been using them since 2006 and have had the same three lenses (16-105mm, 100-300mm and 30mm macro) for quite a few years. Having said that I have found a Minolta fit Tamron 90mm macro for ?199 which is fluttering its eyelashes at me

Comment

Working...
                                X