No announcement yet.

The Photography Thread 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

two new photos taken today while I was down at the docks.

battered-ship by Yakum01975, on Flickr

fishing boats by Yakum01975, on Flickr

Comment

Nice stuff - there's not enough rusty old shipyard stuff around here, but can't have everything, instead there are some nice woods with wildlife in.

Finally managed to get a shot of the Jay I was after and a Green Woodpecker turned up too, although not in a particularly picturesque spot.

Last edited by MartyG; 31-07-2014, 15:30.

Comment

There used to be 3 rusty "ships" but only that one was left I guess they'll be moving that one soon too.

By the way, your pictures are not showing up. The photobucket message says that they may have been moved or deleted.

Comment

Yeah, I moved them into albums - I'll have to go fix all my posts by the looks of it.

Comment

Really back into photos at the moment

IMG_5535.jpg by EvilBoris, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
              Really back into photos at the moment

IMG_5535.jpg by EvilBoris, on Flickr
              That's a nice pic boris. On another note, just swapped my d7000 for a 7d so a new toy to get used to and play with

Comment

Lovely shot of the road? over the farmland, EvilBoris.

I took a few last night with the Xperia ZL2 to see how it handles night shots.

Rainbow Road by Yakum01975, on Flickr

Big Wheel by Yakum01975, on Flickr

London Bus by Yakum01975, on Flickr

Comment

Had a few hours at the airport Saturday;

Comment

Had a go at some macro shots of bees this evening. Really difficult getting the right part of the bee in focus with the shallow depth of field, but I got a few shots that came out pretty well:

Comment

Looks like you managed okay

It can be tricky with DoF on macro; some folks use photo stacking, but that doesn't really work well with stuff that moves.

I've been watching a few presentations from B&H (the photography store, not the cigarette manufacturer) recently, some of which are well worth a look (they run at 60-90 mins). It's pro photographers talking about their works and techniques/tips on photo taking. This one, this one and this one kept me entertained, but there's loads of good content on there to see.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                        Looks like you managed okay
                        Taking lots of shots helps! For every one where the bee is in focus I must have about five or six where there's a yellow and black blur sitting on a razor sharp flower

Comment

Yup, definitely a lot of throwaway shots with macro stuff - a ring flash can help you get a higher shutter speed, but they can be pricey. I've seen some cheap LED ones on Amazon and eBay; I'm sure one was mentioned in this thread at some point but I don't remember seeing photos from it. Given they are ?20-40 I should get one just to see.

One of B&H's lectures is on macro, which I'm watching now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf1woH6JOxY

Comment

That last one is awesome ej, really nice colours

Comment

Does anyone have a Joby Gorillapod? Looks pretty handy and for the sake of being so cheap I'm considering picking one up as I don't have a tripod yet. Which I guess means any suggestions for an entry level tripod would be appreciated too. Body is a Canon 70D.

Comment

Yes, but not the DSLR one. They're not really a traditional tripod replacement as they're very short, but they can be useful for a carry with you support. With tripods it doesn't really pay to go cheap, especially given you're balancing a grand's worth of kit or more on them. I personally like Manfrotto tripod systems which you can swap the head on, but they also do entry level with fixed heads for around the ?60 mark. Giottos stuff is well regarded too and then there's the stuff from Gitzo but at a premium. These would last you a lifetime though. You also want to have a think about if you're planning to take it on a trek - they can get heavy which is where carbon fibre tripods are a bonus (and = more expensive).

I also had a play with some macro stuff this evening as round 5 of APoY has this as a subject - trying some concept stuff (it's a bit noisy due to high ISO because of low light), can you figure out what it is?

Edit: another try with some better lighting this time ...

Last edited by MartyG; 30-07-2014, 07:55.

Comment

Working...
                                X