X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
    I really like this. Reminds me of some 80's Special K wake up early advert

Comment

Does anyone have fond memories of using film, or still use film on occasion for the novelty of it?

I've been spying on some Canon AE-1 on eBay and was thinking for the sake of 40 quid I would pick one up and mess around with it.

Comment

I still use film and have quite a few film cameras, mostly for black & white. The Canon AE-1 wouldn't be my first choice if I was buying my first one, although they are perfectly decent film cameras.

I like the OM series of Olympus cameras and the Pentax M/K series (the K1000 is decent if you can find one at a reasonable price - they are stupidly overpriced most of the time).

I have three of these too, which are awesome, compact cameras as used by David Bailey

Only thing now is processessing is ?8-10 a pop, which makes it quite expensive if you're shooting a lot of film.

If you want to go Nikon Pro bodies, the F5 can be had dirt cheap now and it's a tank of a camera that will live forever, even if you drag it from the back of a tractor through the mud - serious overkill for most stuff though:

Last edited by MartyG; 09-11-2015, 14:13.

Comment

That Olympus Trip looks very tidy. I guess I was just kinda looking at the Canon as my current camera is a Canon. The AE-1 is very pretty though, but so is the Pentax you posted above.

Definitely got me thinking though, thanks for the suggestions.

Comment

The AE-1 uses Canon's FD mount, so it wouldn't work with any of your current lenses.

Comment

Oh I know that. Just a brand loyalty kind of thing... Nothing that makes sense!

Comment

Also use a film camera every now and then. I picked up a lovely Pentax Spotmatic which is pretty much the same age as me. As Marty said, it's not cheap though. The camera and 2 lenses cost me around ?70, and processing is quite expensive per roll, plus I seem to need a battery for the light meter every several months. I had to get the camera repaired a while ago which was another ?50.

All that said, I feel much more ownership of the film photos than I do of anything digital. I love the slower process of shooting film too.

Few samples plus the camera itself - must get another roll in that soon actually..

Excited... by Gary Smith, on Flickr

Door by Gary Smith, on Flickr

Untitled by Gary Smith, on Flickr

Barbican Curves by Gary Smith, on Flickr

Was amazed I got this, manually focusing !

Flung by Gary Smith, on Flickr

Comment

The Pentax Spotmatic has an always on light meter - you might find it drains less if you put a lens cap on the camera. Great thing about the Olympus Trip 35 is that it doesn't need any batteries.
                  Last edited by MartyG; 09-11-2015, 18:45.

Comment

That Pentax looks beautiful.

Is there a process to get film into a digital format, or are you just scanning/taking a photo of end product?

Comment

It's usually an option to scan the negatives as they are developed, price depends on resolution of the scan usually. The default option is pretty poor tbh and are only about 2MP - you might be better off getting a film scanner and doing it yourself if you start using a lot of film.

Home processing of B&W film is pretty easy and only requires fairly basic kit; I still have all the chems and kit to do it, although the borrowed enlarger I had for prints went back to its rightful owner a while back.

Comment

Haven't been around for a while but just checked out some of the pictures on the last few pages and it makes me sick how talented some of you guys are! Keep up the great work.

Comment

You've just reminded me I'm not on the last few pages :P

IMG_5864.jpg by Adam Fairclough, on Flickr

IMG_5994.jpg by Adam Fairclough, on Flickr

IMG_5879.jpg by Adam Fairclough, on Flickr

Comment

Garf, the third one down, love it .

Comment

Hey folks, it's been a while You guys have been posting some lovely shots, been nice to flick through the last few months worth of shots! I've been really busy for the past few years so not had much chance to get out with the camera but hoping to turn that around now. Here are a few from the past few weeks.

5C5A0417 by Pete Johns, on Flickr

5C5A0279 by Pete Johns, on Flickr

5C5A0169 by Pete Johns, on Flickr

5C5A0523-2 by Pete Johns, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by PeteJ View Post
                                Hey folks, it's been a while You guys have been posting some lovely shots, been nice to flick through the last few months worth of shots! I've been really busy for the past few years so not had much chance to get out with the camera but hoping to turn that around now. Here are a few from the past few weeks.

5C5A0417 by Pete Johns, on Flickr

5C5A0279 by Pete Johns, on Flickr

5C5A0169 by Pete Johns, on Flickr

5C5A0523-2 by Pete Johns, on Flickr
                                Those are great Pete, is that the isle of Skye?

Comment

Working...
                                X