The Photography Thread 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
    Got the lens this morning, in nice condition and it focuses closer than I was expecting.

Is the screw driver a crop or is that the focus distance of it? im still after a lens for close up product shots as the macro adapter i got doesn't really cut it for printed material, also would it work on a d7000? could be a cheap work around rather than spending out on an expensive macro lens.

Comment

It's slightly cropped to 4:3 format, the original from camera (resized) is below. The D7000 will work with these lenses in AP and M, they just won't focus to infinity - not that that will be a problem if you're interested in them for macro and of course manual focus. Meant to add, I don't really rate the Nikon F mount DSLRs for these lenses though, I find the Canon EOS bodies work a lot better with them.

Also, you'll be getting quite close with the camera to objects, around 10cm, so you might find the camera and your head impacting on your lighting

If you go here and click on the magnifying glass icon twice you'll be able to see a shot straight from camera full size.
      Last edited by MartyG; 14-08-2013, 13:03.

Comment

It's slightly cropped to 4:3 format, the original from camera (resized) is below. The D7000 will work with these lenses in AP and M, they just won't focus to infinity - not that that will be a problem if you're interested in them for macro and of course manual focus. Meant to add, I don't really rate the Nikon F mount DSLRs for these lenses though, I find the Canon EOS bodies work a lot better with them.

Also, you'll be getting quite close with the camera to objects, around 10cm, so you might find the camera and your head impacting on your lighting

Interesting, think take a punt on one for that price, lighting isn't a problem, ive got a little mini studio in the factory with light boxes etc to angle and cut out unwanted shadows etc. Its that or i plump for a AF-S DX Micro NIKKOR 40mm f/2.8G to do the job. Manual focus isn't a problem either on product shots.
        Last edited by fishbowlhead; 14-08-2013, 13:22.

Comment

You'll need an M42 Adapter too if you don't already have one, they cost around the ?10 mark without glass insert correcting for the infinity focus issue and a bit more for one with the glass.

Comment

In hindsight looking at it im probably better off just going straight for the nikkor micro and being done with it, eventually, or when i need to do macro shots again, which isn't that often these days, seems a nice lens.

On another note, been photographing product shots all day, all plastic bags, and ive decided i hate them the plastic bags i mean, total nightmare with regards to reflections. Going to try a polarising filter and a uv filter when they arrive to see if that helps.

Comment

Polariser will solve the reflection problem. They're basically some kind of dark magic. I don't question it. Just keep one on my lenses permanently unless I really need the extra stop of light.

Comment

Good for cutting through water, glass and darkening skies too. I have a nice set of Cokin P filters, although many of them are redundant now due to photoshop etc.

Comment

Definite face palm moment. Especially as my old Minolta had a polariser perm attached and I never had any problems photographing plastic bags, bottles with liquid etc. Took me until I'd finished it all and sat down to properly think about what I was doing wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                    In hindsight looking at it im probably better off just going straight for the nikkor micro and being done with it, eventually, or when i need to do macro shots again, which isn't that often these days, seems a nice lens.
                    Without a doubt a proper Nikon F Mount macro lens will be a better match to the camera, the 105mm is arguably a better choice for macro lenses though as it gives you a longer reach, the Tamron 90mm and Sigma 105mm (the one I own) are great 2nd hand buys.

The point of the M42 lenses though (or any older film camera manual lenses) is that they give a different look and are fun to play with away from their auto everything cousins.

Comment

Couple form last weekend in London.

Last edited by fishbowlhead; 16-08-2013, 13:14.

Comment

Here are a few I don't think I'd uploaded yet

Comment

I like the 2nd shot of the water. I'd probably crop it to 16.9 though and loose the moon. Maybe something like this.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Comment

Speaking of moons, i was reading a review of the new pentax k-5a/b? i know theres 2 models. Anyway one of them has a gps devices and a servo motor on the lens for tracking the sky, so when your taking night shots of the stars, moon, the lens will actually move slightly to account for the sky moving for a less blurred shot. Awesome idea, not to mention the camera being waterproof and having the same sensor as the d7000, seems a good bit of kit.

Comment

I like Pentax cameras, although some of them can look a little ugly. I have a nice Pentax MV film camera which is fun to use with the f1.7 50mm it's attached to.

One from this morning with the Canon 20D and the 28mm f2.8 Paragon lens - this is at f8.

Comment

I like Pentax cameras
                                Me too, remember buying a 'What camera weekly' back in the day with a review of the LX, what a machine lusted after one for years.

You'll probably make my day by saying you've got one!

Nice pics, Yakky, Fishy, Boris & Marty by the way.

Comment

Working...
                                X