Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Little things that bring a smile to your face 2. (The sequel)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kryss View Post
    That could be in Saitama in all fairness.
    It's in Chiba. The place is called Nagareyama and is one 25 minute train from Akiba, which is 25 minutes from her place on the Yamanote line. I'll look around that area or a few stops towards the schools. Speaking of the schools, I'll be at two and both are about 2 minutes' walk from the station with an Ikea in between

Considering some of the placements people have been lumped with(some people were told they're having to go to Kansai even though they applied for Kantou only), it looks like the company has placed me as close to her as they could manage, which is nice.
    Last edited by randombs; 22-03-2013, 03:36. Reason: Saitama -> Chiba

Comment

Dog is weird, obsessed by voluminous smoke! Had a Hamlet the other day, she was gazing up at the smoke, following it with her eyes, making all these uncertain dog-type noises. Had a Cuban sitting around for aaaaages, tried it earlier and she's *mesmerized*, keeps snapping at the space between where the smoke leaves the cigar, or barking at ascending wisps, even was fascinated by the stub of it.

Last dog was not as 'visual' as this one, dog psychology is awesome.

PS: I do not make dogs smoke.

Comment

The Internet—the global system of interconnected networks that’s become an increasingly central means of commerce and communication capable of bringing far-flung civilizations together—reached its apex this week, after a man claiming to be the fiancé of My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic character Twilight Sparkle…

Comment

It's my birthday on Sunday and one of the kids in my class made me a birthday cake iced with a birthday message. Made me smile lots and lots.

Comment

Originally posted by billy_dimashq View Post
            It's in Chiba. The place is called Nagareyama and is one 25 minute train from Akiba, which is 25 minutes from her place on the Yamanote line. I'll look around that area or a few stops towards the schools. Speaking of the schools, I'll be at two and both are about 2 minutes' walk from the station with an Ikea in between

Considering some of the placements people have been lumped with(some people were told they're having to go to Kansai even though they applied for Kantou only), it looks like the company has placed me as close to her as they could manage, which is nice.
            Yeah, I used to live in Shinmatsudo at the other end of the [Tobu?] Nagareyama Dentetsu. I used to take the Tsukuba Express (that "one train") from Moriya where I worked occasionally.

Comment

Apartment is sorted. It's 20 mins from Akihabara.

I went with an apartment with Leopalace which I'll move into on Monday. It's a brand new building so I'll be the first person to live in my place. Soundproofed, all the mod cons like washing machine, telly and internet, no loft bed nonsense and no thin walls that let sex noises through. Like a tw*t, I forgot to book hotels in the meantime and almost all of them bar a few capsules got booked. I'm in Akihabara now in a groovy hotel called APA but tomorrow I have to move to a hotel in Tsukuba. TSUKUBA! With two suitcases and a rucksack. But it's got an indoor swimming pool so will make good use of that.

Akihabara hotel room is small but the telly is around 40" or something. Never seen a telly that big in a hotel room before. First thing I did was hook the laptop up to watch Netflix on it, but not before this HILARIOUS incident occurred:

Me: *hands passport to Hotel reception desk guy*
              Guy: *checks passport, opens it at the visa page instead of ID page and runs a name search. Comes up blank*
              Guy: Sorry, it seems there's no reservation here for you...
              Me: Yep. Here... *opens passport to photo ID section*
              Guy: Ah! *points to my name* this is your name? You're not Mr. London?
              *does a search. Finds my reservation. Naturally*
              Last edited by randombs; 29-03-2013, 15:26.

Comment

First Easter Sunday I haven't had to work in 3 years.

Comment

That first few minutes after coursework submission, when it's too late to move on to something else and you can relax for the rest of the evening. Only three modules left to finish before university is over and so much work to do over the next fortnight but right now, this time is mine.

Comment

Free copy of Assassins Creed 3 thanks to an error on Xbox.com

Comment

Comment

Got a freelance translation position at a video game localisation company in Osaka. So excited!

Comment

Where you get to bid on translation projects according to how quickly you can deliver?

Comment

Nah, it's a company called Active Gaming Media. Due to having university commitments, a freelance position works the best for me - they'll send me work as it becomes available. I'm really pleased about it.

Comment

Sounds pretty sweet.

I still don't think the words "freelance" and "position" belong together though.

Comment

Originally posted by kryss View Post
                                Sounds pretty sweet.

I still don't think the words "freelance" and "position" belong together though.
                                I'd agree-you can have a position in a company or be a freelance translator. Unless they guarantee to give you work or something, but that's not how translation works. Congrats anyhow! Are you doing into English? Don't know what rates are like in Japan, but over here you'd be looking at at least ?90/100 per thousand words or ?0.09/0.1 per word. You can charge decent rates for Japanese.

Comment

Working...
                                X