No announcement yet.

The car thread 2.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep. I was looking up the Tickford Capri the other day. My mate's dad worked at Ford and we got to find out all about them; I think Aston Martin were involved. Affordable supercars back in the day but these days their performance figures are available on 20k motors. How things change.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
      All old tin is fetching silly money now, my brother is even considering selling his 2.8 injection Capri before the bubble bursts. Which it will.
      My uncle was telling me about his mate who bought a Ferrari, can't remember specific model, but from the 60s. A few years ago he paid ?45k for it after some payout he got and now they're fetching over ?300k. It's absolutely insane.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
        This is lush. Wanted one when I was about 17:

What do you mean when you were 17??

I still WANT one

I'd also do unprintable things for a Series 1 RS Turbo

Anyway in the never ending saga of my ****ty panzer wagon...Turbo blew yesterday
        It had been a bit lumpy the last 2/3 days & was booked into the Garage today for a VAG check to see if anything was amiss (Mechanic was on holiday so couldn't get in any earlier) but yesterday it went off pop

I had pulled out onto our main road from the flat car park, I literally got one turning away when the power went, clunking from the engine & smoke from the exhaust.

Thankfully managed to ease it into the turning & backed into a space before calling my dad for a rescue...Katie & Chloe in the car so had to get them recovered to Train station & then there house.

Car was recovered yesterday afternoon & currently in the garage...it's not getting repaired.
        Decided to just give up on it & will now be looking to sell it on Ebay as spares or repair...fixing it & trading it in just isn't worth it.
        Looking at almost ?1k for the Turbo & labour.
        Car is probably only worth about ?1500 in trade in so just not worth it.

New car hunt has begun & I'm hoping to whip off over the weekend & look at a couple.
        Luckily as dad has retired now I can use him as Taxi service for a week or 2, past that I'd be right up **** street.

Do not EVER believe anyone who says German cars have good build quality or are reliable...it's all ******** this has been the worst car I have ever owned period & I've owned a few cars.

Neil

Comment

Wait, you got a vag check for your car?

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
            Wait, you got a vag check for your car?
            Lol it's the software system they use to check for fault codes.

VAG stands for Volkswagen Audi Group

Neil

Comment

You've got manky VAG.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
                You've got manky VAG.
                I know but she just won't move out

Comment

Don't pull your punches do you! haha

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                    Don't pull your punches do you! haha
                    LOL nah F' it

Honestly though having owned 2 VAG cars now (Leon & now the Golf) I still laugh to myself everytime I write that or have to say it...I'm such a child

I have spent a ridiculous amount of time on Auto Trader today & I am struggling to find something I really like that isn't of the same age & potentially with issues to come.

New cars are shockingly boring.

Neil

Comment

I've been in the same boat Neil, gearbox went on my car 4 weeks ago, is just a Peugeot 206 Estate that is only used to drive to work and back. Car is worth about ?1400, new gearbox ?2650, reconditioned one ?850. And have just got a used one from a breakers, ?200, plus ?100 for a (qualified mechanic) mate to fit it.
                      One good thing about the car is the ?30 a year tax.

Been looking at S2000, Celicas and other bits and unless you buy something with 100,000 plus miles prices are so high. Just dread ending up with something that will go bang in six months, sometimes better off with the devil you know.

Comment

Speaking of boring, I didn't buy that Jaguar in the end. I bought a Volvo. Yes, I went from an Aston Martin, to a Volvo.

Comment

Lol what model?

Comment

Comment

An XC60. I'm doing tons of miles for work again so wanted something comfy that could carry lots of gear, fit my big stupid dog in the back and was quite a refined drive for weekends away. Test drove a variety of SUV's but either couldn't take to the look of them, or they had very impractical load space. (Evoque and Tiguan are the worst for this) The Volvo just seemed a good car. God I'm getting old.

Comment

Well the XC60 is doing fantastically.

Traded my faithful old Saab in for it Saturday, all seemed fine. Left for work in York at 4am this morning only to have to turn around after half an hour as I thought the bloody thing was going to blow up. It just started violently juddering for no apparent reason, no way I was going to try and push on with the 250 mile drive. On the way back to the house it seems to have sorted itself out, but it's going back to the dealers when they open at 8am. No doubt it will run fine at that point and I won't be able to prove it.

Comment

Working...
                                X