No announcement yet.

The car thread 2.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Automatics have better fuel efficiency and are better in the snow, two things that make a big difference here. Lots of models have paddles to change up/down manually.

Comment

Yeah I can have mine in manual, or override any time. Rarely do.

Comment

Originally posted by kryss View Post
        Automatics have better fuel efficiency and are better in the snow, two things that make a big difference here. Lots of models have paddles to change up/down manually.
        Autos are worse on efficiency in most cases. It’s only the newer more expensive models like a golf r with DSG that are slightly up on mpg over its manual counterpart. But then your paying a premium price on the car anyway so it swings roundabouts.

Comment

Manual baby! I'd never want to own one, any I've driven have been fine but it makes driving a much less engaging and much more zzz experience. I love playing with my stick

Comment

Not sure where you live SF but driving in and around London there is absolutely zero point in having a manual, traffic as soon as you leave your house. Part of the reason i ride rather than drive.

We have both said we would never have a manual again.

Comment

Up Manchester way so it's not as bad. Traffic during rush hours can be a literal pain in the foot but outside of that, good times

Comment

Downtown Calgary is all one-ways and lights every block. I'd probably barely make it to 3rd for half my drive home.
                Off to the one Subaru dealer after school tonight to check out a 2014 Impreza they have for $17k. I had hoped to buy new, but having to save for IVF has cut my budget in half.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                  In some situations I guess. Others not so much. An auto won’t keep in it 3rd round country lanes to keep something with a turbo in its sweet spot, or whatever gear that is on a given car. For daily commute I’m sure an auto is fine for most people.
                  If I put my DSG box into S mode it will let you do that. In that setting it lets you use the whole rev range before changing up at the limiter. And will let you hold the revs without changing gear. Great for spirited driving days. It will eventually change up if you hold it steady in one gear for a while though.

Comment

Autos are worse on efficiency in most cases. It’s only the newer more expensive models like a golf r with DSG that are slightly up on mpg over its manual counterpart. But then your paying a premium price on the car anyway so it swings roundabouts.

I would imagine despite the weight penalty an auto is probably more fuel efficient. My car is in fifth by 30mph far faster than I would have run through the gears. The average punter isn’t one of these hyper-milers that do the MPG tests for cars.

Comment

What are you driving to get it into 5th at 30mph? 🤔

Comment

On another note. I saw one of the brand new Mustangs this morning driving around my area.

Ok I’m sold. It’s looks stunning in real life, just lovely lines and really captures the essence of the classics, pics really don’t do them justice. The one I say was a deep burgundy with white racing stripes which really suited it.

Comment

Automatics are boring. We will all be forced into having them eventually so stay manual while you still can.

Comment

What are you driving to get it into 5th at 30mph? 樂
                            A Fabia vRS. It has a 7 speed twin clutch box. That’s 7 forward gears and reverse. In D it shuffles up the gears as quickly as possible presumably for economy reasons. It’s in second just past creep.

Comment

On another note. I saw one of the brand new Mustangs this morning driving around my area.

Ok I’m sold. It’s looks stunning in real life, just lovely lines and really captures the essence of the classics, pics really don’t do them justice. The one I say was a deep burgundy with white racing stripes which really suited it.
                              I saw a light blue one today in Kensington, and it looked quite ordinary. A colour can do a lot for a car i think.

I've never understood British Racing Green.

Comment

BRG needs a proper british car for best effect.

Comment

Working...
                                X