No announcement yet.

The car thread 2.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe I'm biased, but I don't see why anyone would get the 86 over the BRZ. Based purely on looks alone, the front of the BRZ beats the 86 hands down - the airscoop looks like it's grinning and the small foglight zone is much more contemporary, whereas the 86 looks really grumpy. Also the BRZ has the Aston style flash on the side by the A-pillar. Not much in it otherwise - both brilliant cars to drive apparantly.

Comment

I'd go for the 86 based purely on looks! It looks better than the BRZ IMO. I gather they're practically the same car so I have compared the two. All things being equal I'd take a Toyota over a Subaru too. All just personal opinion built up over the years and based on nothing in particular :-)

Comment

The BRZ is slightly nicer looking. Both need dropping onto a set of splits with a nice dish.

Comment

Really? All comes down to the front of the car for me (as everything else is so similar). You and Charles prefer the look of this:

to this?

Comment

Yes. For me because the sides of the front bumper appear to be low which gives the car a more sleek look.

Comment

I'm with Brad, think the 86 looks much nicer.

Wheels are ****e on both though

Comment

They are externally identical apart from the front bumper and flash at the base of the A-pillar.

Comment

So it's just taste really.

It seems perfect for me because it (well both of them) look fantastic and the performance, while not incredible, is at least appropriate for the style of the car. I've seen nothing that comes close in terms of appeal to me.

Comment

Another who would go for the BRZ over the 86 here. They're fantastic drivers cars, I've driven a couple now. My biggest issue with them is a lack of torque in the lower rev range, I owned three S2000's and that was a car that suffered a similar problem. If you're going to be new to rear wheel drive then I would recommend slowly getting to know the car too, they can be a bit of a hand full, especially in the wet. All in all a quality package though, and a good buy in my opinion with some real bargains out there right now.

Comment

Better yet, get a 1986 AE86 and get to pretend you're Takumi.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                        Better yet, get a 1986 AE86 and get to pretend you're Takumi.
                        Yeah, get a Toyota Corolla, just like Tak's!

[hide][/hide]

Comment

Colin should write for a car magazine :-)

It's easy to look at the negatives (and there are some as Colin points out) and be put off, but then I have to find another car and there'll be negatives to that too I'm sure. In reality I'll drive it 99% of the time like the middle aged man that I am. Does it feature in GT6? If so I'll buy that and get some practice in. Always wanted a RWD.

Anyway, to keep the conversation flowing, now you guys know how much the GT86 appeals to me, is there anything else I should look at to compare it to?

Comment

From WhatCar

"In the long run, we think the GT86 will hold its value slightly better - after three years it's expected to be worth 47% of its list price, while the BRZ will retain 1% less.

The GT86 offers a longer warranty, too – it's covered for five years or 100,000 miles, whereas the BRZ has a three-year/60,000-mile warranty.

Like all of its models, the BRZ comes with Subaru’s ‘Everything Taken Care of’ (ETCo) package as standard, however. It includes free minor bodywork and alloy wheel repairs, a monthly wash, and winter wheel and tyre storage.

Subaru BRZ and Toyota GT86: What Car? verdict
                            Our money would go on the Subaru.

The GT86 has slightly better residuals and longer warranty cover, but the BRZ's firmer suspension gives a slight handling edge, which is what these cars are all about. - See more at: http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/suba....dqOA5x9v.dpuf"

Comment

I just love cars Brad, that's my biggest issue! If you're going to be driving it 99% of the time just around town and stuff, I would personally consider putting my money in to something that just felt that bit more special. I'm a big fan of the GT86/BRZ but it's not like you're not going to see them everywhere. I went down to Sainsbury today and saw three on that one quick trip. (Black is the nicest colour for the Toyota in my opinion by the way!)

Comment

I've never even noticed one in the wild! Undoubtedly that means I've seen them but paid no attention. The only two cars recently that actually made me take notice were the Scirroco and the Giulietta.

Comment

Working...
                                X