The car thread 2.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's quite a lot for a n.a.
    Always liked those hot Clios. Went in an old rallied up (cage etc) version and it was a gokart!

Do you need a new lambda sensor?

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
      Those wheels are an abomination. Stunning car. Needs some Rays Engineering goodness.
      Abomination? I don't look at them and think "those are the greatest wheels ever made" but I think I can live with them for a while!
      Thinking of putting some 18 or 19" on there though. Good site Charles, nice quick way to try stuff out. The second one down, red lip Rota looks sweet!

Comment

Yeah, I think the fatter 5 spokes look better on this car than the narrow 6.

And the stock wheels look too similar to the Halfords own brand stuff for my liking Not hideous though.

Comment

Those wheels don't even fit the car. Beautiful body styling sat on a set of wheels that don't even fill the arches.

Fat 5 spoke is a good shout. Medium 6 too. Rota Grid would look amazing as they are basically Volkte 37.

Comment

One of the guys at work also claims the wheels are too small as well though so I know where you're coming from but filling the arches is just a current trend. Big wheels and low profile wide tyres in order to get the desired road holding. The stock version of the GT86 in Japan has 16" wheels (1" smaller still). It's just a fashion thing; it's not like Toyota did something wrong.

Comment

I have 16" in my Impreza and big profile tyres. Much more fun through potholes than 18" low-pro and fearing you've bust an alloy. Grips plenty hard enough and predictable at the limit. Doesn't look rad though.

Comment

Potholes round here are so bad that at one point I almost bought a Defender
                There's a school of thought that says that big, wide tyres are there to compensate for other design decisions. They do look pretty cool mind.

Comment

Smaller wheels = less unsprung weight which is never a bad thing.

Comment

Works for F1 cars.

Comment

F1 cars are looking to upgrade to 17'' as we speak.

The size of the wheels isn't the actual issue. 17 is plenty large enough but they have designed a sports car and made it look like a shopping trolley but not kitting out with the appropriate ride height and offset for the wheels they have launched it with.

Filling the arches is not a current trend and it doesn't need to be slammed as close as possible to them. They are not small arches on the GT86 though, they should have lowered the ride a little and fit slightly wider wheels.

Comment

Wider or larger?

The aim with the GT and the BRZ was to give them narrow wheels so the contact patch was small enough to get sideways without loads of power. According to some car journo somewhere.

Comment

Well, a wider offset. They stick in too far.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                            That's quite a lot for a n.a.
                            Always liked those hot Clios. Went in an old rallied up (cage etc) version and it was a gokart!

Do you need a new lambda sensor?
                            It's a known issue with them, nothing to worry about. It's a combination of a cold engine and an ecu limiting the available power until she's walmed up.

With regard to wheels, from my experience 17s seem to be the perfect size for large hatches and saloons, I'm sure BTCC use 17s.

I do have a chuckle to myself though when I see a car with large alloys and the brakes behind them are some puny tiny discs or naff drums...

Comment

Larger arches does leave room for expansion!

Comment

It just seems like an odd choice.

'Hey, let's make a sports car!'.
                                'OK. But not too sporty as to put off the Yaris crowd'.

Comment

Working...
                                X