The car thread 2.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Colin View Post
    Still looking for my Lotus Evora replacement, but think this could well be mine by the end of the week. It's no Seat Leon, but I like it.

God damn. One of my favourite cars, very jealous

Don't laugh but I'm actually very close to handing the money over for a new Seat Leon 1.4FR, I know it's nothing like what most of you guys drive but it has really surprised me how fun it was to drive. I admit that coming from a 2005 1.4 Fiesta anything is going to be fun but still, I prefer it to the Golf or Focus. No interest in the Cupra or anything of that ilk.

Only thing, as always, is the cost. Am I mad to consider a new car on a ?200 per month three year lease?

Comment

Pretty much yes. If you can't afford to buy it outright (without a loan), then I'd suggest you can't afford it. Loans are evil. Surely an older Leon would be just as good?

Comment

I see Charles' point of view but don't totally agree. I bought mine new via finance but only because Toyota gave me a ?1000 towards it if I did and I'll pay it off next month but even if I couldn't afford to I don't think it's necessarily a bad idea. If you want a brand new car then you pay more but you get a warranty, no MOT hassle for 3 years, hopefully more reliable than an older one. Buying used where do you stop? How old? A 3 year old car is still really expensive compared to a 12 year old one but it'll be nice and more reliable probably. I think if you want it and can afford the payments then there's nothing wrong with that. More important is to make sure the car you buy you can afford to maintain; some people at work were telling me I could afford a used Cayman for the same money but IMO if you can;t afford to buy the car new (even on finance) then you can't afford to run it.

Leons are nice motors.

Comment

Just seen it's a lease. So you don't even end up with a car at the end.

Comment

You don't end up with a car at the end, but you do get to swap it for another brand new car, which you then keep for another three years...

There are obvious downsides in not being the owner but it is seriously tempting. I could buy if I put up 50% deposit and then pay the remainder at 0% over three years, which is also tempting. It's probably the smarter move long term but leaves me with less of a rainy day fund!

If I go to the second hand 'nearly new' market then immediately the finance deals you get are rubbish, so over the loan period the savings aren't worth it. Your argument of if I need a loan then I can't afford it is valid and one I very much live by (I've never used or even owned a credit card!), but for whatever reason I see house purchases and cars as different beasts that can be treated differently

Comment

Mortgages are evil too The bank creates money out of nowhere and gives it to you to buy the house and then requires you to give it back the money it didn't have to start with and then has the cheek to charge you interest on top. Seriously weird. And it relies on the fact that x% of people will default (unlike banks, most people can't make money out of nothing so the interest charges have to come from someone not making enough money) and have to give the bank their house. How on earth banks lose money is beyond me.
              Last edited by charlesr; 28-08-2014, 17:28.

Comment

?7k 1.4L 2008 http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...xperiment=true

Blow the rest on booze, drugs and fast women.

Comment

Very popular with the young lads where I live in Scotland those Seat's. Won't be getting the Vantage until Tuesday now, but I have five days off after I collect it so will bugger off on a nice highland road trip probably.

Comment

Dashcam please!

Also was chatting to my Porsche dealer friend. He said most of his customers don't use their cars much. He said one chap bought his GT3, drove it home, the weather was rubbish for 3 months, so he drove it back again. Didn't drive it once apart from that. One of the cars in the showroom, he was selling for the 3rd time in 2 years. They swap around so much, it's like rental. LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by PeteJ View Post
                      You don't end up with a car at the end, but you do get to swap it for another brand new car, which you then keep for another three years...

There are obvious downsides in not being the owner but it is seriously tempting. I could buy if I put up 50% deposit and then pay the remainder at 0% over three years, which is also tempting. It's probably the smarter move long term but leaves me with less of a rainy day fund!

If I go to the second hand 'nearly new' market then immediately the finance deals you get are rubbish, so over the loan period the savings aren't worth it. Your argument of if I need a loan then I can't afford it is valid and one I very much live by (I've never used or even owned a credit card!), but for whatever reason I see house purchases and cars as different beasts that can be treated differently
                      I think the leasing options are a very attractive way to go, especially if you like to have newer cars. It gives you lots of flexibility when you are at the point of purchase too. The lease companies get some mega crazy discounts due to buying in bulk too, so some cars can be had for amazing value.

Comment

Any dash cam recommendations Charles? They're actually a very good idea for insurance purposes. Can I edit the videos so that I could just post a section of what was recorded?

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post

?7k 1.4L 2008 http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...xperiment=true

Blow the rest on booze, drugs and fast women.
                          That's the old model, I think the new one was introduced in 2012 and is (apparently) much better. I admit I haven't driven the old one though!

Comment

Those new Seat's are nice, I looked at the FR model a few months back. Have you looked at anything else? a friend just started the lease on his golf R and that is ?300 per month

Comment

Originally posted by PeteJ View Post
                              That's the old model, I think the new one was introduced in 2012 and is (apparently) much better. I admit I haven't driven the old one though!
                              But the old model looks much better imho

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                                Any dash cam recommendations Charles? They're actually a very good idea for insurance purposes. Can I edit the videos so that I could just post a section of what was recorded?

Lots of recommends on his homepage on the right hand side too.

And youtube will let you do simple cut and splice edits.

edit: or you could ask MartyG - his car is hooked up with cameras at the front and back.
                                Last edited by charlesr; 28-08-2014, 19:18.

Comment

Working...
                                X