No announcement yet.

The car thread 2.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Get some winter tyres on the Aston. I have winter wheels for both cars and it's such a no brainer once you realise how much difference they make. You feel so smug driving in fresh snow with winter tyres when you see everyone around you slipping and driving slowly.

Comment

Winter tyres re the way forward. Even a 4wd car will handle like fish in the ice/snow without winter tyres, but people seem to think otherwise.

In other news my car is finally being delivered next week. Woo!

Comment

Nice early Christmas present! (To yourself)

Comment

Early! Should have had it in August! I'll probably crash it on the way home , I've not been involved in a RTA in a while.

Comment

Jinxing yourself is not a good start.

Comment

Ok I'm in for a set of winter tyres, is it better to keep the same alloys and get a garage to swap them over when needed or get a set on new alloys?

Btw pics when you get it EB.

Comment

Quite a lot of garages will swap your tyres for you and store your regular ones while they are on. Although there is risk of damage with them being swapped so maybe a new set of alloys are the way to go.
                Last edited by EvilBoris; 11-12-2014, 20:14.

Comment

Yeah there is that, I guess they're noisier than normal tyres?

Comment

Yeah and they can technically affect fuel consumption too

Comment

Yeah I'd guessed it would hit the economy as well, ah well safety first Shaun.

Comment

For the winter, get smaller steel wheels and bigger profile tyres. Then you can crash through potholes and over snowdrifts like a boss.

Also, it's also much more attractive to doggers
                        Last edited by EvilBoris; 11-12-2014, 22:19.

Comment

*Strokes beard*

That sounds like something I want to be a part of Chaz.

Comment

See what size the manufacturer recommends. My vRS normally runs on 17" alloys but the winter wheels are 15" steel wheels. The good lady's Golf has 17" alloys and 16" steel wheels for the winter months. You could buy a cheap set of alloys of course. I have some chintzy looking wheel trims on my car during the winter and it's not pretty.

Comment

Well played EB.

Comment

Calipers found and delivered.

Comment

Working...
                                X