No announcement yet.

The car thread 2.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've reconfirmed my commitment to the old man car club and replaced my Nissan Qashqai with the latest model - took delivery today.

Comment

Stuck a pair of Dunlop sport maxx RTs on the back of the Clio F1 about 500 miles ago and they already look worn... Not impressed...

Comment

Originally posted by Spatial View Post
        I've reconfirmed my commitment to the old man car club and replaced my Nissan Qashqai with the latest model - took delivery today.
        Says good things about the car that you'd go back for another one

Comment

Originally posted by The Moleman View Post
          Stuck a pair of Dunlop sport maxx RTs on the back of the Clio F1 about 500 miles ago and they already look worn... Not impressed...
          How about some Falken 453?

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
            Says good things about the car that you'd go back for another one
            Couldn't fault the car last time other than the 1.6 petrol engine being waaaaay too under powered - went for the 1.2 turbo engine this time which you'd think would be a step backward but this thing is a marvel of engineering. For a 1.2 it out performs some more powerful diesels I've driven and wee's all over the old 1.6 petrol from a tremendous height. Still getting used to how it performs because it really does feel that different, but other than a bit of Turbo lag, there's nothing to complain about.

I also thought my last car was gadget heaven but this one's got more stuff that Jason Bradbury's bedroom - lane assist, park assist, hill assist (that's a lot of assists), camera's everywhere. Still trying to get used to the automatic handbrake - keep reaching down and finding there's nothing there before remembering I have to flip a switch

Comment

I really love mine, tis a great car.
              I've not manager to use the parallel park assist yet though, the bay parking one is hamaze.

Pro tip, you don't have to release the parking break when you move off, it will do it itself.

Comment

Tell me earth man, what are these turbos and assists you speak of?

If I'm ever forced to drive something sensible again I'd look at the qashqai I reckon. I'd hack it so it'd Park itself without me being in the car though.

Comment

Off the top of my head:
                  • Lane Assist (alerts you if you have drifted out of your lane or across the road)
                  • Brake Assist (automatically warns you if you are about to hit something and then brakes if you are hitting something to reduce the impact)
                  • Parallel Park assist (steers the car into a spot automatically)
                  • Bay Park Assist (same kind of thing)
                  • Auto Wipers
                  • Auto Headlights
                  • Auto Full beam (turns on full beam at night when there are no cars around and turns them off when there is)
                  • Hill Start Assist (keeps the brake and then releases it as you press the throttle so you don't have to balance on the clutch)
                  • Blind Spot monitoring (flashes and bleeps at you if you are indicating when another car is in your blind spot)
                  • Moving Object Detector (bleeps at you if you are stationary and something is moving around the car)
                  • Traffic Sign recognition (reads Speed limit signs and displays them inside the car incase you missed one)

I love all that ****.

Comment

I've not been brave enough had an opportunity to try the self parking yet - my plan is to master the lack of handbrake (that auto release when it gets to biting point is pretty cool), then the start / stop system (in other words not to freak out when the car seems to cut out for no reason) and THEN try the parking assists.

Handy as they are, I wouldn't want to become reliant on those. After all, my reverse park skills are legendary and I would hate to deprive the world of seeing them... by which I actually mean my reverse parking is notoriously the butt of many jokes and I force myself to do it to stop me being completely crap at it.

Comment

I like to gesticulate wildly with both arms out of the window as the car steers itself into position. To alarm and confuse

Comment

Heheh, that made me laugh a lot! I'm still smiling

Comment

Hahaha, I'm off again, just imagining it

Comment

I think it's got to be done now - I might even add some loud screaming, just for extra drama

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                              How about some Falken 453?
                              Cheers for the suggestion, I'll properly investigate once I've worn out my current tyres. The Dunlops are actually fairly good, nice grip and low noise for a performance tyre its just they're wearing rather quickly.

Comment

Finally got around to buying a new car.

59 plate BMW 318i in SE Spec.

It is quick but not fast but a major upgrade from my crappy old Clio. Just getting used to it now but I need to get a second key made. it is a stop start plug in key, happy to go to a BMW dealer (and to talk about servicing) - anyone got any recommendation for a decent London based official dealer?

Comment

Working...
                                X