No announcement yet.

Mecha Mad and Figure Fixation V 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The thing that puts me off with many of the custom MP's is detail. Feels like they go overboard on it. Whilst the MPs aim to be in scale and G1 accurate they're all also very clean designs and many of the custom models add too many rivetts and details which makes them easily identifiable

Comment

See there isn't one MP figure i am interested in and i'm not really into G1 aesthetics at all, i want my details.

Also i don't really like any of the popular characters, i've never owned an Optimus Prime for instance even as a kid, boring old Optimus lol. So the MP line is pretty much a non thing for me.

Only Grimlock would interest me but he's smaller than the rest of the 3rd party Dinobots coming and the giant shoes really don't work imo lol.

So Menasor for instance from FP is fantastic, it's how i want Menasor to look personally, G1 styling just really doesn't work for me.

Price is a big part too i don't want to be paying ?70 - ?80 per robot in a gestalt, which is what i imagine these larger ones will cost.

Will keep my eyes open to see whats coming i guess.

Comment

Watching reviews of the Warbotron Blast Off.....eeehhh reviews are basically saying he's ok. The thing that worried me was when he's in his arm mode he looks pretty floppy and there isn't any ratcheted joints where i think he really could have used them.

I know they are mainly a combiner but at ?60 a pop you want them to be really good individual robots too and there's really no reason why they shouldn't be.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
          The thing that puts me off with many of the custom MP's is detail. Feels like they go overboard on it. Whilst the MPs aim to be in scale and G1 accurate they're all also very clean designs and many of the custom models add too many rivetts and details which makes them easily identifiable
          I get why some people like them, for example those gestalt's are epic, but agree with you that most of the 3rd-party TF's fall into this category (I said something similar in this thread once) where as the Masterpiece line is a wonderful re-imagining of the toy and cartoon form. That said I think some 3rd-party figures get the balance right and Quakewave is in this category for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
            Yeah some do go overboard but I think that what they are putting out is awesome.
            iGear started it all but have fallen off the wagon massively lately & have been eclipsed by everyone else.

Originally posted by NeoDragoN View Post
            See there isn't one MP figure i am interested in and i'm not really into G1 aesthetics at all, i want my details.

Also i don't really like any of the popular characters, i've never owned an Optimus Prime for instance even as a kid, boring old Optimus lol. So the MP line is pretty much a non thing for me.

Only Grimlock would interest me but he's smaller than the rest of the 3rd party Dinobots coming and the giant shoes really don't work imo lol.

So Menasor for instance from FP is fantastic, it's how i want Menasor to look personally, G1 styling just really doesn't work for me.

Price is a big part too i don't want to be paying ?70 - ?80 per robot in a gestalt, which is what i imagine these larger ones will cost.

Will keep my eyes open to see whats coming i guess.
            I will admit that as I got further into TF as a kid it was the little bit players that were more interesting to me, like Punch/Counterpunch, Wingspan & Pounce etc. as the usual characters were losing their luster.
            But as a G1 fan I need to have a G1 display & so MP are right where it's at, but the current level of 3rd party output is fantastic & means that if Takara don't do it (Gestalts for example) then there are plenty of options to fill in the gaps.

The current Predaking for example from Mastermind Creation looks fantastic & the individual 'Bots are easily on par with what Takara are producing.

Grimlock will hopefully get a version from Fans Toys to fit in with their new scale & if he does I reckon he'll be amazing.
            Have you seen the Giga Power version for Snarl yet?
            He looks massive & much more in the cartoon scale...

I'm really looking forward to seeing some more from them as it's one of the reasons I've held off on Scoria tbh.

Kapow actually still have a couple of the FP Menasor cars for under ?40...

Fans Project is a group of fans intending to serve the Transformer’s (TF) community around the world with better looking toys.

Fans Project is a group of fans intending to serve the Transformer’s (TF) community around the world with better looking toys.

T-Bone & Car Crash might be harder to get & the fact that Motor Master is over ?100 alone means it's a bit pricey still but for the cost you could at least have one to see how you feel about them

Originally posted by NeoDragoN View Post
            Watching reviews of the Warbotron Blast Off.....eeehhh reviews are basically saying he's ok. The thing that worried me was when he's in his arm mode he looks pretty floppy and there isn't any ratcheted joints where i think he really could have used them.

I know they are mainly a combiner but at ?60 a pop you want them to be really good individual robots too and there's really no reason why they shouldn't be.
            I've not watched any reviews but that doesn't sound too good so far.
            Shame as they look awesome

Could be aim for Predaking first?
            the MMC versions are meant to be fantastic on their own right even before you get to forming Predaking.

Also there was that 3rd Party Superion who was by all accounts great

Plenty of choices Alex, look forward to hearing & seeing what you get

Comment

Warbotron sounds like a robot that transforms into a loaf of bread...

Comment

Quakewave is probably the best example of a custom MP. I was never bothered with the character but the one that's out fits the main line really well

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                  Warbotron, yes i'm bored at work again lol, five minute photoshop to the rescue

Comment

Originally posted by Lebowski View Post
                    Warbotron, yes i'm bored at work again lol, five minute photoshop to the rescue
                    Awesome! I love the Northern disguise.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                      I prefer Warbot Ron. You know Ron who works at the local hardware store? Have you see his Warbot?

Gonna wait out see what the rest of the Warbotron Bruticus looks like at this point.

Not a Predaking fan at all so i'd never drop he amount of money the TFC or other 3d party ones cost.

Looking at reviews of the FP Menasor he looks unstable as hell, which is a shame as i think all the individual robots look fantastic.

We'll see...but deffo gonna pick something up at some point...

Comment

Also guy claims he sent my RAH Kamen Rider Faiz last week on the 11th via 1st class and it hasn't shown up....

Not a great start.

Comment

I'm in the middle of painting a 1/144 model of Tallgeese 3, and honestly, it's turning out pretty badly I really can't paint those small details.

Comment

LOOOOL Warburtron if that makes it to a SD plamo kit im IN.

Meanwhile im currently spending my 3 day weekend making my Gundam 00 Quan[T] after much examination of the quite frankly cheating "oh we painted lots of bits for the final model shoot but didn't provide stickers or guides for those bits" box pics i can tell the stickers are not going to cut it with this kit they expect me to put stickers on raised detail parts no way are they going to stay stuck they will just curl up. I think i can paint the missing bit's but don't have all the colours so im having to be creative.

The typical black eye bits on a gundam with glowing metallic green eyes are done with a sticker, i don't have any metallic green paint & i doubt mixing silver with green will work that well so i have cheated as the bit for that is thankfully clear green plastic, so i have painted the back with silver & i shall paint the outer front bits matt black so it will retain it's details & not look like a pile of crap when assembled.

Will see how many other tricks i can use to make it look like the box.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                              I'm in the middle of painting a 1/144 model of Tallgeese 3, and honestly, it's turning out pretty badly I really can't paint those small details.
                              Don't give up, you can always repair mistakes with more layers of painting it will take time but it can be done. I have had kits that as i have been painting look pretty rubbish but using extra layers to tidy up & some steady hands i have managed to rescue them.

Comment

After first few hours of detailing the head is complete, turned out pretty good.

Comment

Working...
                                X