X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ban request

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff D
      I used to really like Gervais, but this **** is why I've gone off him - reduce everything to a soundbite & pretend that a staggeringly intellectual point has been made.
      +1

I was a big fan in years gone by (The Office was a very well observed and original comedy imo) but his Twitter made me realise that he's a massive arsehole who thinks he's much cleverer than he is.

I think a big problem for comedians is that as they become successful, they lose the common touch and are their lives are not 'normal' enough for them to make observations about things everyone can recognise. Another problem is that a lot of them only really have about 90 minutes worth of decent material in them about their childhood, and after that their joke supply is basically exhausted. Peter Kay is a classic example of this. His recent standup return contained a lot of repeat jokes and felt massively self indulgent.

Comment

Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Blasphemy!

Comment

I think I can safely say that a large portion of the people who say that they love Bill Hicks only say it as it's considered cool to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by ikobo View Post
              Andi Osho, absolutely ****ing terrible. If she comes up on any of the panel shows that are usually great fun, I switch them right off. To be honest, that goes for most female comedians though.

Also **** -

Gina Yashere
              Shappi Khorshandi
              Lucy Porter
              Josie Long

All TV regulars, all utter garbage.
              Agree with this, basically black women & lesbian comediens.

The black women do their mums Jamaican accent and talk about rice and peas.

Russell Howard is a abysmal also, one of those that just says words really loudly to denote he's trying to say something funny.

Comment

I think I can safely say that a large portion of the people who say that they love Bill Hicks only say it as it's considered cool to do so.
                That's about as true as saying those who say they hate Jar Jar Binks are just jumping on a Star Wars hate bandwagon. And it's an attempt to invalidate the opinions of others simply because it's different to yours, which is never good. Disagree with it, sure. But please allow others their opinion too.

Comment

I think you are right.
                  I honestly never saw anything funny in what he said.

Comment

No, I'm stating it as experience of 14 years of living in London and meeting many, many pretentious arseholes who will jump on anything that makes them seem cool, yet have probably only seen five minutes of his stand up on youtube. I can 100% say I've met people like that in my life, so my comment stands as true to me.

Comment

I think I've only ever seen five minutes of Bill Hicks on YouTube, and I don't like him. I'm also from Landon.
                      Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

I haven't met your pretentious arseholes so can't speak for them one way or another but your comment reads to me like an attempt to discredit an opinion different to yours. About as valuable to the discussion as me saying most people don't like Bill Hicks because they're not smart enough to get it (which I wouldn't say and don't actually think is true but is about on the same level in terms of making a point).

Bottom line is comedy is incredibly subjective and I think we all deserve an opinion, even those sad souls who like Peter Kay.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                          Bottom line is comedy is incredibly subjective and I think we all deserve an opinion, even those sad souls who like Peter Kay.
                          HEY!

Comment

Sorry...

Comment

Well you're reading it wrong then. I've made no comment on the quality of Bill Hicks stand up, but on bandwagon jumpers. Who as you rightly state, you haven't met the people I have, so it's not for you to decide if I'm right or wrong.

Comment

I love An Idiot Abroad, but then Gervais is barely in it.
                                Alright, Soundwave, I give in - who DO you like??? Ha ha

I don't like Russell Howard's studenty delivery style, and that Jack ****ehall is a smug kernt.

Comment

Working...
                                X