Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Post your Internet connection speed a.k.a. How big is my pipe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

152mb Virgin Media connection...

Comment

Yup, full reset too after the connection effectively died last night. Now nothing at all, gonna ring Virgin tonight

Comment

Comment

Charles when you do a speed test is it using the wifi or ethernet connection?

Comment

Not long ago upgraded for the free Virgin 50mb service - up from 30mb.
            Last edited by Anpanman; 09-02-2015, 21:14.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
              My line has settled down now. I'm too far from the cabinet (600m on ancient copper lines) to get the promised 80/20, but it's rock solid all hours at this speed and unlimited, so I'm happy.
              Believe it or not having the older copper network is superior to the newer stuff (better grade of copper back in the day)

Which exchange are you using? And do you know the number of the cabinet?

Comment

Originally posted by buster_broon View Post
                Charles when you do a speed test is it using the wifi or ethernet connection?
                Ethernet. I just bought a new router and the download is quicker by a few Mb/s. Not sure why that should be because the old far cheaper router was rated for 80down.

Comment

Just tried with the wireless laptop and it gave the same results.

I'm in Sidlesham, but I'm lead to believe the cable comes all the way from Chichester exchange to a cabinet in keynor lane (6 miles of cable??).

Comment

Fibre is nothing, we have 20km of fibre from exchanges to cabinets up here and it still falls within limits of -3 to -10DB

Fibre runs from the exchange to the cabinet (DSLAM - basically an exchange on your doorstep) and is copper tied to the older cabinet (PCP) which will already be jumpered to your house

Ethernet should make it faster if you have the latest HUB, I get 50 wireless and 80 via Ethernet

Comment

Aye you are right about Chichester

Sidlesham and bosham are child exchanges connected to the parent at Chichester

Loads going in there so looks like a massive exchange

Is your cabinet PCP1 outside rose farm (PO20)
                      Last edited by buster_broon; 09-02-2015, 21:41.

Comment

Yeah that's the one. I don't have a BT Hub. I have an Openreach modem plugged into a router.

My neighbour next door gets the same speeds as me though, so I guess it's the line, not the kit.

Actually I realise the copper cables to the house are probably all new because they were all replaced a couple of years ago when they were torn down when trees fell over during a storm (overhead lines).

Comment

When I looked last night for the DSLAM they were still on the repository so have a look when you drive past it next just to see if there are two cabinets beside each other (within 15 metres) one is old and one brand new

Reason I ask is that any job on the repository hasnt been completed yet and a civils job is always contracted to morrisons and the like but only 200 pairs are being tied to the fibre which isnt alot considering ECI cabinets can take 300 and hauwei can take 400 pairs

Again it could be done and they just haven't removed it

Comment

Yeah, they are both still there.

Comment

Be nice to get that ping down. Any suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post

Be nice to get that ping down. Any suggestions?
                                How long has your connection been active?
                                If there has been some instability recently interleaving might be enabled. Once stable it should drop back to fastpath and go to <10ms.
                                Try rebooting your router assuming you have a separate modem to reset the session. You want to keep the modem connected at all times to ensure the most stable connection.

Comment

Working...
                                X