Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Post your Internet connection speed a.k.a. How big is my pipe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love how Colin is getting faster speeds than I am, when I'm living in the heart of London and supposedly right near the server being used to test! Up to 100Mb from Virgin Media, allegedly... hah!

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
      I just looked this up because I wasn't 100% myself.

Ping is only especially important when gaming online. Around 30 ping is pretty nice, once you're around 100 ms is when things start to get rocky.
      Back in the day, anything sub-100 had you labelled as an 'LPB' (low-ping b*****d). Some leagues had restrictions on the number you could field per match, and so on

And now I've just stumbled upon http://www.ukccl.net and am having a major nostalgia moment.

Comment

Haha, yeah I was listening to the 8-4 Play podcast recently and they mentioned that term. I think it was 8-4 Play anyway.

Comment

lol, I was that LPB... playing on a dual-ISDN line.

Comment

Heh. Haven't heard the term lpb in ages. I had a dedicated adsl line for work, that was pretty good back in the day

Comment

Last edited by kryss; 04-08-2015, 18:52.

Comment

ooo.. a small fibre cabinet has appeared.

But only looks big enough to service a small number of houses.

Found out that I am on an Exchange only line, so that means either

Fibre to the premises (yay!)
                Fibre to the cab, but the cab will put in very close to the switch (the switch is probably 1000 yards as the crow flies)
                Or a custom copper/fibre cab. Which is A rare and B unlikely

Comment

Use Speedtest on all your devices with our free desktop and mobile apps.

4g on EE in Swindon

Comment

Swindon eh? You are but a stones throw away from me.

Comment

Last edited by Anpanman; 02-10-2015, 18:54.

Comment

Email from Virgin saying another free speed upgrade this autumn.

Comment

I think the entire village is watching and reporting on the fibre installation vans that are floating around.

Comment

Originally posted by k0pp0 View Post
                            I think the entire village is watching and reporting on the fibre installation vans that are floating around.
                            If they're genuinely floating then I'd expect them to be the talk of the town.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                              If they're genuinely floating then I'd expect them to be the talk of the town.
                              If by floating you mean 'up on bricks if they don't keep moving' then yes.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X