Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Post your Internet connection speed a.k.a. How big is my pipe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The cab might be there but the fibre might not

It's what I do with Openreach

Comment

Originally posted by buster_broon View Post
      The cab might be there but the fibre might not

It's what I do with Openreach
      It's pretty much everywhere else in the village so hopefully imminent. Noticed another speed boost so getting a consistent 17Mb now.

Comment

No you are right it can only take a day or two from the cab being stood to getting fibre into it

Just depends on the ducts for the copper (PCP to DSLAM copper ties) and civils depending on how far the blow is

Then once it's commissioned it's Upto the CP's to uptake the slots available in each DSLAM and offer it to their customers (you)

For Openreach engineers a normal copper cabinet is around 15 hours and fibre is around 10 hours of work, so 3 guys on it (one at each copper cab and one blowing the fibre) the work would be done in a day

Comment

No you are right it can only take a day or two from the cab being stood to getting fibre into it

Just depends on the ducts for the copper (PCP to DSLAM copper ties) and civils depending on how far the blow is

Then once it's commissioned it's Upto the CP's to uptake the slots available in each DSLAM and offer it to their customers (you)

For Openreach engineers a normal copper cabinet is around 15 hours and fibre is around 10 hours of work, so 3 guys on it (one at each copper cab and one blowing the fibre) the work would be done in a day
          BT were knocking around digging the road up up to and around the copper cab a few months back - just wondering if they blew the fibre then in preparation for the fibre cab to be installed.

Looks like they didn't do much today. I'd like to go an watch them cuz I'm a nosy git.

Comment

we use contractors to put in the cabinets like Morrison's or CN who always subcontract

so copper and fibre cant be put in until the new cabinet is finished, they can however half copper the older style cabinet which will be within 50metres of the new cabinet, that means terminate 400 pairs into the older cabinet and coil in the other end in the JUF/JRF which will be on the pavement (jointway reinforced/unreinforced footway) an the cablers will get the BFT in place in the same hole (blown fibre tubing)

once the cabinet is stood or is being stood as long as the ducts are complete the jointers (me) come along and cable the last section and stick the BFT into the cabinet and secure it to a dual circuit box we've just fitted, once all that's done we then put air on at the node and check we are getting air at the cabinet, we then blow the fibre at 35metres per minute (top speed) and once it arrives (it can get stuck very easily) we then terminate at both ends, distance check with out OTDR (Optical reflectometer) and as long as light is between -3 to -10 DB, it passes, gets commissioned and then your CP call you with new speeds and lovely new offers, for BT you need the new home hub 5 to get superfast

there can be loads of issues like BFT being crushed when its pulled in so the fibre doesn't pass through, duct sections along the route being full of silt so the cablers can cable or the worst when the duct has collapsed and they have to do an overlay which is a new duct, so roads get dug up etc - now they've perfected overblowing which is passing more cables down established sub-duct when you have congested ducts so collapsed ducts don't get repaired

but I hope you get it soon

Comment

With torrents running.

Without.

Comment

we use contractors to put in the cabinets like Morrison's or CN who always subcontract

so copper and fibre cant be put in until the new cabinet is finished, they can however half copper the older style cabinet which will be within 50metres of the new cabinet, that means terminate 400 pairs into the older cabinet and coil in the other end in the JUF/JRF which will be on the pavement (jointway reinforced/unreinforced footway) an the cablers will get the BFT in place in the same hole (blown fibre tubing)

once the cabinet is stood or is being stood as long as the ducts are complete the jointers (me) come along and cable the last section and stick the BFT into the cabinet and secure it to a dual circuit box we've just fitted, once all that's done we then put air on at the node and check we are getting air at the cabinet, we then blow the fibre at 35metres per minute (top speed) and once it arrives (it can get stuck very easily) we then terminate at both ends, distance check with out OTDR (Optical reflectometer) and as long as light is between -3 to -10 DB, it passes, gets commissioned and then your CP call you with new speeds and lovely new offers, for BT you need the new home hub 5 to get superfast

there can be loads of issues like BFT being crushed when its pulled in so the fibre doesn't pass through, duct sections along the route being full of silt so the cablers can cable or the worst when the duct has collapsed and they have to do an overlay which is a new duct, so roads get dug up etc - now they've perfected overblowing which is passing more cables down established sub-duct when you have congested ducts so collapsed ducts don't get repaired

but I hope you get it soon
                I found that more interesting than you might imagine.

Comment

Sorted out today for the net to be set up at the new home etc. So, taking the opportunity to retest the current home as a benchmark. Thanks to new apartments being built and them all constantly tapping the same well:

Time to wait and see...

Comment

My wired line is 90mb/6mb/15ping.

Still get wallops of lag on Fifa. Is this my connection or just EA?

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
                      My wired line is 90mb/6mb/15ping.

It could be the stability of the line, hiccups from your router, or simply most likely that as I'm guessing it's not using Dedicated servers, that the other player is hosting the game and they have a poor connection

Comment

Well I've just installed a brand new router hoping that would help. Given that I've never had a hiccup with say Mario Kart 8 it would seem that it's EA.

Can I test my stability?

Comment

I don't get any lag on Fifa 16 even with playing with more than 8 players online in Pro Matches

Comment

Who provides your internet?

Comment

Who provides your internet?
                              EE provides mine .

Comment

Well I've just installed a brand new router hoping that would help. Given that I've never had a hiccup with say Mario Kart 8 it would seem that it's EA.

Can I test my stability?
                                Maybe try running a longer term ping test

in the command prompt on Windows type

Ping www.google.co.uk -t

(or any large website)

It will start pinging away, maybe leave it for 5 or 10 minutes then end it by pressing ctrl+C

this will give you a bunch of stats about your average latency and packet losses, which can cause lag

for a shorter term measurement you can use
                                Test your Internet line quality to locations around the world with this interactive ping test
                                Last edited by EvilBoris; 07-03-2016, 17:06.

Comment

Working...
                                X