Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Post your Internet connection speed a.k.a. How big is my pipe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Screw you Yakumo. Screw you.

Well, I'm just saying what everyone else is thinking

Comment

Chipping in with mine -

As mentioned earlier, whilst the download is great, the upload is terrible. I backup my data to Livedrive and generally get about 1.5MB up, I actually had to take my home PC to work to use their upload. I have over 4TB on Livedrive now, all for ?5 a month
      Last edited by marcus; 18-07-2014, 13:56.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
        What the hell is VDSL? My home internet provider is also OCN but we use Hikari Fiber 1GB connection. We don't actually get 1GB though, normally around 400 to 500mbps which is easily fast enough.
        It's basically ADSL but faster. Similar technology, runs over copper, etc.

I could've sworn we have hikari fibre(the building has it) but the modem says VDSL and it goes through the phone socket like ADSL does.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
          Screw you Yakumo. Screw you.

Well, I'm just saying what everyone else is thinking
          hahaha, I would be too if it was the other way around.

@Randombs, yeah, we used to have ADSL until earlier this year when NTT actually offered to install this new service. We were the first to have it so the whole construction crew came down with a few trucks to set it all up. I crapped myself thinking I'd have to pay for the construction but NTT paid it as it was in their interest as they put it.
          Last edited by Yakumo; 31-07-2014, 02:03.

Comment

After a week in Cornwall with no internet signal to speak of (Ping of 5600ms normally), I now really pity those who live in the countryside etc with poor speeds/signal.
            Nice quiet week though, not getting any calls, text etc etc until driving five miles from where we were staying.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
              What the hell is VDSL? My home internet provider is also OCN but we use Hikari Fiber 1GB connection. We don't actually get 1GB though, normally around 400 to 500mbps which is easily fast enough.
              So I've been doing some research and the VDSL modem is due to how they distribute the internet to apartments in our mansion(Mansion-type). The building's connection to the internet is over fibre but it's distributed internally over copper. It's similar to FTTC(fibre to the cabinet) in the UK but the cabinet inside the building.

Seeing as my speed varies from 10-60Mb/s, I think the speed problem could be due to contention. Or because the building is old. But just because the building is old, that's not to say the telephone wiring is as well.
              Last edited by randombs; 31-07-2014, 00:34.

Comment

hmm, I'd hate to have to share a connection with everyone else in the building. I'm guessing that's why you have the big drops in speed. When I lived in an apartment about 5 years ago We had a 100mbps line although during night the speed would drop to 10 or 12mbps because other people in the same apartment building were using it.

Comment

I've been reading up and it looks like it is shared for the building which has a fibre connection to NTT(I don't know the speed).

But from what I understand, there's not really any other choice if you're renting. Line installation needs permission from the building owner as well as the landlord. Good to know, next time we look for a place I'll aim for a smaller mansion

I'll wait and see how things are when we get our TV. I find Netflix on PS3 is a lot better at utilising the bandwidth than the iPad one.

Comment

Virgin Media upgraded us from 120Mb to 152Mb for free. They also swapped our old cable modem for their new Superhub router (although I got them to install it in modem only mode as I didn't want to stop using our own router).

Since the "upgrade" I haven't been able to get a speedtest to go above 70Mb (when connected to the Superhub directly by Ethernet cable) and we've been having lots of problems with streaming services having buffering problems and slow download speeds.

At least we didn't have to pay to have our service buggered up

Comment

We got a letter saying our line will be upgraded soon. The gits living on the first and second floors(J-style. That's the ground and first floors to Brits) will be getting dedicated fibre lines installed. The rest of us will remain on copper but it says speed will increase from 100Mb to 200Mb, if my Japanese skills are adequate enough.

It doesn't say if this will be a package upgrade or simply an increase in line capability(which would mean we'll remain on 100Mb unless we pay more for 200Mb).

I'm hoping it's the former because when we signed up to OCN we had the choice of 100Mb or 200Mb and I picked 100Mb to save money.

Even if it's the latter, the increased capacity should mean more bandwidth for all of us who'll still be sharing. Either way, it says to hold tight for a leaflet explaining everything in more detail. So that's what I'm doing.

Comment

Originally posted by EJG1980 View Post
                        Virgin Media upgraded us from 120Mb to 152Mb for free. They also swapped our old cable modem for their new Superhub router (although I got them to install it in modem only mode as I didn't want to stop using our own router).

Since the "upgrade" I haven't been able to get a speedtest to go above 70Mb (when connected to the Superhub directly by Ethernet cable) and we've been having lots of problems with streaming services having buffering problems and slow download speeds.

At least we didn't have to pay to have our service buggered up
                        I asked them to put the old superhub back in it seemed like they only just got it running stably before they introduced this new one with all sorts of issues, we had one die on us so it seemed the perfect time to put the old one back in. We use a home-plug with a wifi clone function so we can get wifi at the top of the house and the new super-hub wouldn't allow it to clone, where as the old one did which further annoyed me as it seems the clone function/quick set up button on the new one was not working with everything.

Still its not a great router but it at least seems more stable then the new one, I've been toying with the idea of getting a better router and putting the super-hub in modem mode, what are you using.
                        Last edited by Lebowski; 08-08-2014, 08:49.

Comment

Well, my Japanese has got better since last time.

It says the current situation is fibre for everyone on the ground floor, copper on all other floors. After the upgrade everyone will get fibre (slowest will be 200Mb down, 100Mb up). And the price won't go up, either!

Now I just have to wait...

Comment

i've been with sky fibre pro since april and the speeds are pretty good been contstantly around 61mbps

Use Speedtest on all your devices with our free desktop and mobile apps.

Comment

Internet has been on and off for 2 weeks now. Down from 29Mbit or so, was 4Mbit last week and now this. Ridiculous, can't even stream a 720p YouTube video without buffering.

Comment

Finally getting a decent speed. But it's 2:25am on a Saturday morning, so I expect this much at least...

Comment

Working...
                                X