Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone here bought their own Council House?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EDDIE M0NS00N View Post
    Hmm not looking so good an idea now .
    I wouldn't want to put my mum in a home tbh & would rather care for her myself if possible.

So if i still went ahead with this how does the procedure go?
    This is just about the worst discussion ever but it's honestly worth thinking about for the future.
    I think given half the chance we'd all like to care for our own family without the need for a care home but if it ever came to it still renting from the council will be a real help.

As Brad said the bills can be phenomenal.
    The lady at work who had to put her mum into a home & they had to sell her house the bills for the home in Wickford was ?850 per week.

Only downside with staying with the council is if your mum is lead or sole name on the tenancy then should she go into a home they could possibly kick you out so that they can arrange to put the property up for rent again.

It might be worth looking into the possibility of transferring the tenancy into your name first & then weigh up the options for purchase afterwards.

I think the procedure is basically just speak to the Council first & see what the discount would be (I believe it's something like upto 35% of the value with a maximum amount but I'm not sure what that is) & then approach the Mortgage lenders as the Council Discount acts as a deposit against the mortgage.

Good luck if you do go for it Eddie.

Keep us posted on what they say.

Neil

Comment

Originally posted by ETC View Post
      It shouldn't be ?700-?1K a week wherever that is (unless its in London W1) they are overcharging by around 75% minimum.
      I'm talking about a nursing home. That's the going rate mate. If you have no money or assets the council will pay a nursing home a set rate and that rate is almost ?700 per week so it's definitely normal practice.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
        I'm talking about a nursing home. That's the going rate mate. If you have no money or assets the council will pay a nursing home a set rate and that rate is almost ?700 per week so it's definitely normal practice.
        I worked in one its not quite that high mate but it is probably council dependant, councils pay less than private I can say that for a fact it depends on the tier grade the place is rated (1-4). It's still extortionately expensive and only goes up in price depending on the care you are using from the basic residential up to special then nursing then T4 care (which is around ?700 a week that one).

Comment

Working...
        X