Lego Sites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure those would be for me.

Do any of you guys sort your Lego? Ours is all dumped into a huge box but I'm half tempted to get something to put it in with different compartments to make it easier to find pieces when my kids are building.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post

Do any of you guys sort your Lego? Ours is all dumped into a huge box but I'm half tempted to get something to put it in with different compartments to make it easier to find pieces when my kids are building.
      If you had a few spare days you could separate and catalogue all your pieces then add them to rebrickable to see what sets you can build:

Comment

Originally posted by The Moleman View Post
        If you had a few spare days you could separate and catalogue all your pieces then add them to rebrickable to see what sets you can build:
        http://rebrickable.com/myparts
        I believe if you keep a track of your sets on Brickset, you can import the data into rebrickable that way which saves you actually cataloguing the pieces yourself.

As for storage, at the moment my opened stuff lives in one of those yellow boxes you posted above - it's not a permanent solution but I haven't found any nice little sets of drawers or something to separate the bricks into.

Comment

Originally posted by The Moleman View Post
          http://rebrickable.com/myparts
          Wow, I did not know that. That is a really interesting idea. Would take AGES but could be well worth it.

Comment

Our kids simply have two big plastic boxes full. I'm happy for most sets to eventually go into the mix (though I do urge them to keep instruction booklets) ... as for cataloging/compartmentalising pieces, I think that takes away from the classic kid's Lego experience. It should involve lots of raking and rummaging

Comment

I bought my son 9 clear boxes from B&Q. Took us (me, son and daughter) about 2 solid hours of sorting the bricks out by colour. Originally all the pieces were in 1 very large storage container. The boxes are stackable so it saves some space, too.

Does anyone know when the Lego Shop has its double points promotion? I'm saving for another UCS set, so if I can time my purchase with the promo, I'll be able to boost my VIP points quite a bit.

Also, I was in Tesco's today and saw a small Easter themed set (2 minifigs painting some eggs). Not sure of the price, but I've not seen this set elsewhere, so I'm wondering if it's some sort of exclusive to Tesco's?

Comment

I'm at the point where I need to disassemble my sets - no more shelf space. I think it would actually make my collection more fun, giving a reason to rebuild every once in a while. I still hesitate though, because I've seen the condition that well worn Lego bricks get into (rummaging and scraping etc won't do them any favours). I would want to keep my clear pieces/canopies/stickered pieces separate anyway.

Plus, I've had some bricks and plates fall apart under stress. A brown 2x6 plate snapped using the brick separator to pry it off. Two 1x2 curved pieces in blue (from the polybag snowman) both cracked down the middle (although that wasn't from taking them apart). So I don't really want to mess with them. Which defeats the purpose of Lego.

As for sorting, I believe it's easier to differentiate by brick size and not colour. It's easy to find the right colour in a box full of similarly sized pieces, but it's hard to find the right size in a box full of the same colour pieces.
                Last edited by Darwock; 01-03-2016, 06:48.

Comment

Originally posted by Super Grover View Post
                  Does anyone know when the Lego Shop has its double points promotion? I'm saving for another UCS set, so if I can time my purchase with the promo, I'll be able to boost my VIP points quite a bit.
                  I heard March but I'm not really sure how useful that information is. The vaguest rumour.

Comment

I see there is Angry Birds Lego now. My gut tells me that is going to crash and burn hard.

Comment

Could go either way. It looks a bit rubbish but there are some useful pieces that look printed (wooden panels, etc) that could be worth seeking out. There's a film coming out isn't there? That might save this line. It does seem so late for Angry Birds though, five years ago this would have killed.

I've been craving Technic. I haven't had a Technic set since I was about 10 (a little red car with pistons and stuff) but for some reason, yeah, I just crave something with moving parts as a break from modulars. With Technic being pretty complex though, I thought I'd ease into it gently and so I bought this:

?120, haha. The instructions are nearly 500 pages long

Now I just need to find someone between the ages of 11 and 16 to build it for me.

Comment

Found the old Technic car I had on Brickset: http://brickset.com/sets/8440-1/Formula-Flash

I reckon I'm ready.

Comment

Very nice, sir. I don't have any technic sets myself, but I have done a bit of research on a few sets that I would like to get.

I believe the Arocs is one of the best Technic sets available, if not the best ever made.

And ?120 is a steal. I was looking at it in aToys R Us last week, and it was circa ?169 if I remember rightly.

Looking forward to your build report and photos.

Comment

I got pretty lucky. I'd already run it through Flubit and got ?150 but was umming and ahhing about it and eventually said no. Then I saw one listed on eBay for ?130 with ?10 shipping and just did a "best offer" of ?110 on the off-chance, and he accepted it!

Finished the first part now, this is what it looks like:

It's mad. So cool though, the way all the moving parts work together. And barely a stud in sight - this couldn't be any less like the modulars I normally build, haha. Anyway, that's the internals of the cab, I think, the steering and suspension all in place and some pistons as well just for good measure. You can steer it using the orange lights on the top

Took about two and a half to three hours, but I was being careful as it seemed like it'd be pretty easy to make a mistake, the instructions are very complicated in places! Sometimes I was making sub-builds of sub-builds! Also I spent quite a lot of time just playing with the moving parts and spinning them round and stuff, because of the sheer novelty.

Literally no idea at all how someone could come up with a set like this, I don't even know where you'd begin.

---------------

All the VIP offers finish tonight, and there have been rumours that double VIP starts on the 7th so that all fits together nicely. Free chicken minifigure when you spend ?15 as well.

Comment

A couple of pictures. Relaxing...

And the ghosts of past conflicts...

Comment

Nice pics!

Please forgive me for this semi-rant.

It is phenomenally difficult to get hold of new Lego sets. I missed Hulkbuster and Ant-man last year despite finding them both once at the Legoland shop in Osaka. I hesitated on the days I found those because the yen price was way higher than the $/? equivalent and I balked at it, didn't buy either on the day and never saw either of them again.

At Christmas, when I saw the new Star Wars sets I bought the carbon freezing chamber, the droid escape and the resistance transport. That cost a lot, so I DIDN'T buy a couple of microfighters I liked. Never saw those microfighters again.

Until yesterday, by chance saw on the website that Yodobashi camera had limited stock of microfighters. That limited stock turned out to be a mere 1 of each that I wanted, and I nearly didn't see them in the store. Also grabbed the Giant man set just because they had it and I might never see it again, despite not wanting to spend the money just now. I really want to get the ghost rider set (NEEEED hobgoblin!) but, doesn't even exist in this wave according to Japan. Looks like it's going to be similar to hulkbuster/ant-man - i.e. supposed to be a cheap entry set but is actually rare as rocking horse doo-doo. Asking the staff at Legoland is pointless because they don't know anything.

Japan doesn't have the monthly calendars, polybag promos are unadvertised (I got Red arm C3PO from Yodobashi at Xmas, no idea how or why), regular sets don't show up, there's no VIP program.

It's almost making me give it up already. I feel compelled to buy sets on the spot because that's my only chance to get them. The fun and relaxation gained from building the sets is completely nullified by the stress of actually finding the stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                X