No announcement yet.

Lego Sites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bought the Lego detective's office, one of the modular buildings, and it's great. Unfortunately I now want all the other modular buildings and this would cost upwards of ?2,000 so can't happen right now!

What follows is an absolute crap-ton of photos of the build. Enjoy!

[HIDE]Bags and bags of Lego.

PART 1:

Part 1 comprises the snooker hall. The foundations...

The beginnings of the wall. I'm not sure how I feel about those brick patterned pieces. I like them when they're on their own, but when you put them in a row with some others, it looks a bit messy.

A snooker table! It's so cute.

The snooker table in the snooker hall with a dartboard and a trophy. The small panel under the trophy slides from side to side but I'm not sure why.

A ceiling fan which spins around.

A look through the front windows...

The finished snooker hall! I love that there's a rest in the rack with the cues. Amazing attention to detail.

And some left over pieces...

I don't think much to the darts but they'll do

PART 2:

Part 2 is the barber's shop, which is next door to the snooker hall. This is the floor of Al's and also a barrel which for some reason is full of cakes. I'm not really sure what it's all about. Next to it you can see a small tunnel which leads into the snooker hall via a sliding panel.

Now I've completely covered the barrel with some stairs, it's just... there. But why! Al's got a sink.

This is the barber's chair.

There is an actual mirror! The cupboard at the back hides a secret passage to the outside, and there's also a secret passage under the stairs where the barrel is, so you can sneak out from the snooker hall through the barber's shop. If you want.

Al's gonna cut some hair.

This is the sign, which is held on by that white bar so some bricks can go sideways. It's a really clever part of the build.

This is around the back. That grate with the leaves on it is hiding the secret passage, it swings open. The dustbin, for no reason I could work out, has a baseball cap in it. Like, it was actually part of the instructions. Put the hat in the bin.

So this is the shop fronts and the alleyway between them.

And this is the leftover stuff from part 2.

PART 3:

Part 3 is the second floor, which is where the detective's office is and there's another room as well. Wasn't sure what it was but it became clear quite soon. This is the base, which holds it all together.

This is the beginning of that second room.

I was smiling as I built this.

It has a cistern and a chain and a sink and a tap and everything! And there's a gap under the door, in true toilet cubicle style. It's so cool.

Some windows, all the windows have sills.

The detective's office begins. A couple of the drawers have letters in them. And my finger is there. Hello.

This is the desk, it's brilliant. Also the newspaper has proper writing on it but it's so small you can't read it.

Unless you use Ace Brickman's working magnifying glass, anyway! There's a safe at the side with money and a briefcase in it.

The back wall of the office has a secret behind the painting. Also, there's a wanted poster and it kinda got me thinking. I reckon your man in the wanted poster there did something in the snooker hall, took the secret passage out through the barber's shop, and then ditched his hat in the bin to escape. I'm not sure if that's actually what's supposed to be implied, but if it is, it's just amazing detail.

This is the second floor, including a fire escape which you can raise and lower.

This is it from the back, not super exciting.

This is it all together so far.

These are the leftover bricks from part 3.

PART 4:

Part 4 is the top floor and roof, as well as a couple of extra bits for the front. This is the base.

A little kitchenette!

I'm not entirely sure what the red thing is. It might just be a bowl on a table.

A clock, a cupboard with a saucepan in it, and a working rolling pin!

A skylight down to the detective's office.

The water tower is a really really cool part of the build. You can't see it in this shot, but part of the roof decoration appears to use giant robot fists. You can kind of see them in the photo of it all together at the bottom, they're above the pool sign.

The top roof above the kitchenette.

The pool sign.

A little newspaper machine, with newspapers!

The leftover bits from part 4.

And that was it![/HIDE]

Comment

That is amazing. Thanks for the photos!

Comment

Excellent, ttk.

Some of the detailing is just great. Makes you appreciate what goes into designing them.

My only concern with modulars is that they are great to look at, but no so much from a 'playing' about with them perspective.

Wish I had bought the Haunted House kit when it was readily available, sigh.

Comment

I'm actually surprised at the prices, I was expecting them to be more.

Comment

The ones that are retired are pretty expensive. I want the Grand Emporium but that's over ?200 now. The town hall is nearer ?400! The detective's office is the most I've ever spent on a Lego set at ?133 but it was my birthday so it was fine! I wish I'd been buying these as they came out though, ?120 each is a lot but it's more palatable than ?400. Pretty tempted just to buy the other ones that are available now at RRP even though it'll set me back ?400 for three sets, because they'll cost a grand if I leave it. Decisions!

Originally posted by Super Grover View Post
            Excellent, ttk.

Some of the detailing is just great. Makes you appreciate what goes into designing them.

My only concern with modulars is that they are great to look at, but no so much from a 'playing' about with them perspective.
            I don't have kids because I failed life so I just buy the Lego for me. My fun comes from the building and admiring the little touches. So many times building this I smiled at some clever little piece of design. I don't really buy 'em to play with!

Comment

I'd like to build them and have a whole city, like in the LEGO Movie. But that would make me Will Ferrell, and I'll pass on that.

Comment

Oh yeah, I forgot to set aside extra funds for Kragle

Comment

Picked up the UCC tie fighter last week need to find some time to build it
                  along with everything else Iv bought over the last 6 months

Lego Ferrari might be the next purchase

Comment

I bought three sets today I didn't even want because I was in Sainsbury's and they were cheap so I figured I could use the parts for something.

I've got the bug pretty bad right now.

I've spent ?230 on the Grand Emporium as well. That Detective's Office is going to be the death of me. Someone needs to put a freeze on my bank account.

Comment

Just keep buying that's my approach
                      most of the higher end Lego holds its value unlike so many items that depreciate

lego store tomorrow for a browse Wall E is released sept 1st from Lego ideas be there for that as it'll sell out almost immeadielty

Comment

Lego has been the bane of my wife this year as well, although happily the really nice (i.e expensive) sets can't be bought in this country, not even at the Lego stores. I am desperate to get hold of the Wall-e but don't expect it will even be sold here.

No, my more immediate problem is Bricklink. Since discovering this at the start of the year I have gone a little bit crazy. I am chaining little projects together, just when I think I am done I start obsessing over something else to build and start all over again.

Here's one of the latest:

Hardly an original idea, fixing the official BTTF Delorean so it doesn't hurt the eyes, but I had to work out all the details myself. I wanted to keep it true to the Lego design but just make it look less like a Picasso... parts choice for the windscreen frame was inspired by one that I googled (by Larry Lars) - a really ingenious use of minifig swords that looked good enough to convince me to buy the set and make it happen. This is what I came up with:

Made use of my Alps printer to make a couple of custom decals (the DMC logo is one). So obviously I returned the bonnet to the one that was originally submitted by the creators. Lengthened the front (added the darker band). Due to the darker base I swapped the headlights for completely clear ones, instead of the original dark tinted ones. I also put the black stripe down the side in, and made it so when the door opens the door frame goes with it. The hoses on the side actually line up better with the front greebling, but the clearance between the hose and the front tyres is fractions of a millimetre. They still spin, but I think thats just luck more than anything. There's only one change that disappointed me, and that was the loss of the black 'dashboard' pieces that hide the hinge, but there was no way to include that without raising the bonnet and that upset all the lines. I really don't know why Lego messed this set up so badly, it looks so much better this way IMO.

The rear end of the car is exactly as per instructions, but I redesigned the Mr. Fusion (Lego's looked all wrong to me):

That's where the second decal is, although the photo came out blurry it actually does read 'Mr. Fusion'

Still waiting for a couple of parts to allow for the part III version bonnet to be replaced. I might share some of my other bricklinked builds since I'm in the mood.
                        Last edited by Darwock; 21-08-2015, 07:36.

Comment

Originally posted by Darwock View Post
                          Lego has been the bane of my wife this year as well, although happily the really nice (i.e expensive) sets can't be bought in this country, not even at the Lego stores. I am desperate to get hold of the Wall-e but don't expect it will even be sold here.
                          Of course it'll be sold here! And yeah, I'm picking it up day one.

Comment

Here in my case means Japan, and we really don't get most of the major sets. I have never seen a modular building, we didn't get the hulk buster, no big bang theory, no scooby doo, no ewok village. This is at the Lego discovery centre in Osaka as well. Japanese region on the website removes 25% of the available regular sets. They don't ship, and Amazon also doesnt ship Lego overseas. The fact everyone is buying it day one puts me at the mercy of scalpers I'm afraid

One thing I really don't like about Lego is the inflated costs due to supply not meeting demand.

Comment

I had to massively cut down. My last big splurging was all those Monster Fighter sets. I won't regret the castle and haunted house but, man, I spent a lot on Lego that year with those and a few of the Star Wars sets and stuff. Really had to limit my spending because it was getting out of hand. Missed out on some amazing sets since...

Comment

I should be doing that, but for the moment resistance is useless. Especially when I keep seeing awesome custom stuff that I am compelled to emulate. Here's another one of those that I bricklinked - again not an original idea, but the genius person who came up with this style didn't share the parts/build method so I had to reverse engineer it as best as I could. Changed some things to make it sturdier in the process, and again made custom decals to finish it off.

Tachikoma from Ghost in the Shell - Stand Alone Complex:

Last edited by Darwock; 21-08-2015, 15:50. Reason: spoiler tags didn't work

Comment

Working...
                                X