No announcement yet.

Little Things that Irk You 4Ever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wait until they land on my face and then slap myself. It takes a few goes but usually works.

Comment

As for poor Jen and the others, where do we draw the line? Is there a lesson in this?

They didn't do anything wrong, other than trust their data to iCloud. So the lesson could just be to treat anything online as potentially public. Fine.

However, I don't think it's wrong for them to expect a certain level of security from a company like Apple. This isn't Facebook, whose purpose is to mine all that lovely boob data for advertising.

I do believe some restraint is in order, but definitely not moral restraint - the only immoral thing here is the theft and subsequent viewing of the photos. A commenter on that link said stealing from his home would be a crime whether he locked the doors or not but the level of sympathy will be different. But I don't want to equate backing up to icloud with leaving your door unlocked. Maybe it's more like locking your door but leaving a spare key with a neighbour.

In any case, I'm not going to look for the photos. I think anyone who does is part of the problem.
      Last edited by randombs; 03-09-2014, 05:58.

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
        As for poor Jen and the others, where do we draw the line? Is there a lesson in this?

They didn't do anything wrong, other than trust their data to iCloud. So the lesson could just be to treat anything online as potentially public. Fine.

However, I don't think it's wrong for them to expect a certain level of security from a company like Apple. This isn't Facebook, whose purpose is to mine all that lovely boob data for advertising.

I do believe some restraint is in order, but definitely not moral restraint - the only immoral thing here is the theft and subsequent viewing of the photos. A commenter on that link said stealing from his home would be a crime whether he locked the doors or not but the level of sympathy will be different. But I don't want to equate backing up to icloud with leaving your door unlocked. Maybe it's more like locking your door but leaving a spare key with a neighbour.

In any case, I'm not going to look for the photos. I think anyone who does is part of the problem.
        I think if your a person that is in such a spotlight like JL then if your going to take said pics, don't back them up, make sure find my phone is on and you can instantly wipe the device and keep the phone secure with a decent password and biometrics in the case of iphone5s.

Or not take the pics in the first place, it's a given that people like that will be a target for this kind of thing.

Or there's always Polaroid.
        Last edited by fishbowlhead; 03-09-2014, 07:43.

Comment

Make it a criminal offence to post stolen nudes.

Comment

Or use long passwords. If you get done by a brute force password attack, you can blame someone else, but it's like riding a motorbike without a helmet and then moaning that you get hurt when someone else knocks you off. By then, it's far too late....

i.e. there's an element of risk involved and you should therefore do everything in your power to protect yourself.

Comment

it already is an offence, and I'm pretty sure brute forcing passwords to break into someone's phone is illegal too. Apple could step up its security by adding a three strike and your account is locked password system but then this costs money as you need someone on a phone there to reset your password and unlock your account, googles two step verification via a text msg is pretty good (needing a code texted to you to start using your email on diffrent computer or device) could be a system to stop these icloud hacks.

Comment

BT engineer has been here for 2 hours now. No sign of any high speed internet access yet!

Comment

From my understanding of the articles that I skimmed, it wasn’t a brute force attack on the passwords, but rather the password reset functions that have seen the scumbags get in. It seems that the "industry-standard security practices and strict policies” don’t actually involve the mandatory use of their two-factor auth process, but I would imagine there will be a big push to move people over to this shortly. I agree entirely with randombs that it’s not wrong to expect a certain degree of security from Apple, and they do deserve a kicking over this. Not as much as a kicking as the thieves, mind.

Just in case it wasn’t clear enough, I am more than a little disappointed in all of the victim blaming going on though. To say “don’t take nudes” is missing the point entirely IMO; it’s private property, stored on a service that you’ve been sold under the guise of being protected, and whether it’s pictures, letters or financial information that someone is making off with, the point is that it’s theft. Protecting against every single aspect of theft is nowhere near as easy as some of you seem to think it is, especially not in light of the frothing demand that these kind of things generate, and the measures that people are willing to go to. If your reaction is to chastise the victim for being popular and having any kind of private life rather than to look at the thief, or the culture that celebrates and benefits from invasions of privacy, then I think you could really do with thinking the subject over again.
                  Last edited by fuse; 03-09-2014, 10:10.

Comment

It's the world's biggest ever global masturbation event.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                      It's the world's biggest ever global masturbation event.
                      The Spunker Games!

Comment

Completely with Adrian here, the victim is a victim and it's her right to save those photos, now matter how silly it was to put her trust in the iCloud.

It's one of the downsides of celebrity life nowadays. Can do you or say anything without having it splattered all over the world? Must be quite a lonely experience.

Comment

It was called the fappening on imgur

Comment

I also completely agree with Fuse.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
                              From my understanding of the articles that I skimmed, it wasn’t a brute force attack on the passwords, but rather the password reset functions that have seen the scumbags get in. It seems that the "industry-standard security practices and strict policies” don’t actually involve the mandatory use of their two-factor auth process, but I would imagine there will be a big push to move people over to this shortly. I agree entirely with randombs that it’s not wrong to expect a certain degree of security from Apple, and they do deserve a kicking over this. Not as much as a kicking as the thieves, mind.

Just in case it wasn’t clear enough, I am more than a little disappointed in all of the victim blaming going on though. To say “don’t take nudes” is missing the point entirely IMO; it’s private property, stored on a service that you’ve been sold under the guise of being protected, and whether it’s pictures, letters or financial information that someone is making off with, the point is that it’s theft. Protecting against every single aspect of theft is nowhere near as easy as some of you seem to think it is, especially not in light of the frothing demand that these kind of things generate, and the measures that people are willing to go to. If your reaction is to chastise the victim for being popular and having any kind of private life rather than to look at the thief, or the culture that celebrates and benefits from invasions of privacy, then I think you could really do with thinking the subject over again.
                              id agree up to a point but I think some responsibility for keeping your privates private should be taken when you in such a high profile position in the media, trusting icloud to keep things safe and private, is a bit like making a ship out of toilet roll and complaining when it sinks.

Comment

No, it's more like making a ship out of toilet roll and complaining when it's stolen. An active crime and invasion of privacy was perpetrated here. 100 celebrities didn't just lose their photos through carelessness. They were hacked and the photos were taken.

Comment

Working...
                                X