RIP Richard (Jaws) Keil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RIP Richard (Jaws) Keil

2014 continues to suck major backside as yet another celeb is lost. This time it's Bond villain legend Richard Keil who infamously portraid Jaws in two films plus other media.

I will opt to imagine that he was taken out by Roger Moore with a laser pen whilst holding onto a woman in one arm and skiing down a mountain. Legend.

Read about this a little earlier, sad, a true legend in the two Bond films. Not seen him in anything else that I recall.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
      http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-29152398

2014 continues to suck major backside as yet another celeb is lost. This time it's Bond villain legend Richard Keil who infamously portraid Jaws in two films plus other media.

I will opt to imagine that he was taken out by Roger Moore with a laser pen whilst holding onto a woman in one arm and skiing down a mountain. Legend.
      Pretty sure it was either due to chewing on the only cable holding up a suspension bridge, being Pippy Longstocking-ed to death by a petite blond, or carelessly drinking champagne while the space station he was in crashes to Earth.

Comment

I also remember him from Cannonball Run II, Pale Rider and Happy Gilmoure.

I saw the sad news of his death and I'm going to read/listen to the Roger Moore autobiography.

During the section about The Spy Who Loved Me, he says:
        "At the Temple of Karnak we had a wonderful fight scene between Bond and Jaws, the seven-foot-two giant of a henchman, resplendent with steel teeth and played by the wonderful Richard Kiel. I can’t think of two more different characters–Richard is so kind, so gentle and indeed an accomplished writer as well as an actor, whereas Jaws is, well, a hired killer without much soul. Jaws did have a dry sense of humour, thanks to the little nuances Richard gave him.

Despite being so tall, Richard is terrified of heights. When Lewis told him he would have to cross the top of some scaffolding high above the Temple ruins, he went pale.‘I don’t even like being this tall,’ he said.

In the event, Martin Grace–my stunt double–stood in for Richard and, despite being a foot or so shorter, I defy any of you to say it isn’t Richard up there. Martin captured Richard’s movements and the way he moves his head–being blind in one eye–so perfectly that even the man himself had to think twice about who it was when he saw the rushes."

I saw Richard Kiel at a bi-mon sci-fi con thing once and I was actually a little starstruck. I wanted to grab somebody and go "Woah! That's Jaws!"

Comment

The man was an icon. Is an icon. There aren't a massive amount of movie characters with as much instant presence as Jaws.

Comment

Maybe he was killed by someone standing very close to him with an uzi so that his long arms prevented him from retaliating?

Comment

RIP, Always the bad guy but in reality a Gentle Giant, so many legends have passed away this year

Comment

met him a good few years ago at a convension, quiet chap, but man his hands were MASSIVE! the other half got a signed photo.

Comment

Donald Sinden has passed away too

Theatre, film and TV actor Sir Donald Sinden dies at his home aged 90 following a long illness.

Comment

Working...
                  X