Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to create windows 10 USB drive on the laptop...

Comment

In 25 years, I've never had a single HDD die on me. Tempting fate now probably heh. I do wonder how given so many people report it...
      Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

I'm 25 but I've never had a HDD die on me too. Even Maxtor drives...

Comment

This is my second casualty How often do you replace them? Is there something I can do differently? The PC never gets turned off.

Comment

Well 5 years is pretty good if they've been spinning all that time. My PC rarely goes off, but goes into sleep after 45 mins of no activity and the disk spin down. They are both 7 years old (no backups though - I've just bought a USB 3 drive to do a backup).

Comment

Man, I must have god awful luck with hdd's as I've had loads die on me. 5 mechanical and one early SSD.

Comment

Originally posted by gunrock View Post
                They are both 7 years old (no backups though - I've just bought a USB 3 drive to do a backup).
                You must love to live dangerously But that comes from someone saving files on a RAID 10 array, then backing up on a separate RAID 1, and then to one more non-RAID drive.

Comment

I do manual mirrors to a 2nd drive when I feel it's the right time (with free file sync batch job - click a shortcut on the desktop), like after ripping a new CD - this is what I used to copy and paste everything back to my new HDD. Everything gets backed up to Sugarsync in case the house burns down.

Comment

I've never backed up anything before. All this dead drive talk is scary :/

My brother dropped two HDDs a few years back with about 10 years worth of photos on them neither worked

Comment

I told a lie. My 32GB original SSD died on me, but still, no HDDs. I tend to upgrade them before some years of usage - though I haven't since I got my 2TB years ago.

I think using XP with the SSD is what killed it though, no TRIM.

Comment

I was utterly shattered last night. Flagging at 19.30.

Made it to 19.50 and decided I had to go to bed.

Fell asleep pretty much straight away. Woke up at midnight utterly wired and couldn't get back to sleep until about 4am.

I'm now sat here at 19.15 and I'm fooked again.

Comment

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
                          You must love to live dangerously But that comes from someone saving files on a RAID 10 array, then backing up on a separate RAID 1, and then to one more non-RAID drive.
                          Yeah I saw your 4 x 6gb wd red drives in the new hardware thread recently. Your setup sounds cosmic, do you regularly check for bit rot?

Comment

I backup regularly with replication jobs between the two NAS. Never lost a bit ever since I started to use those.

Comment

I'm scared if my hard drive does conk out. I should do at least one proper backup. I never cared before because my music was the only thing I didn't want to lose and that's always been mirrored on my iPod anyway but now I have photos I would want to keep.

Comment

BT. Suddenly I'm paying for BT Sport, a product which I've never asked for but now see that I have always had but the price has been discounted to zero every month until now. I'm going to have to...

PHONE THEM

Not looking forward to that

Comment

Working...
                                X