No announcement yet.

The old NTSC-UK VS GHZ days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is all very interesting stuff. I can't imagine this place being so chaotic. The wildest it gets really is TA causing folk to kick off about retro things, or isolated incidents like S3M's Disney story last week. Sounds like ten years ago an unruly mob tried to turn it into the Wild West.

Comment

it boiled down to conflicting personalities and egos. some mods at the time should have walked away instead of fanning the flames by trying to be Billy big bollix with the ban hammer.

Comment

It should be noted that this stuff was actually just a small percentage of what was going on. Mostly we were still all having good fun discussions about games.

It's funny digging through some old PMs. I don't have context for everything because I have cleaned out my Sent folder many times but it seems 2007 was a year of fire on the old NTSC-UK. Admins dealing with very tough situations, inappropriate posts and snarky in-jokes around other boards, and often no-win situations as Marty alluded to. Some posters feeling villainised or paranoid that they'll be banned next. And generally a negative vibe. Like I say, it's important to remember that there was also a lot of normal good discussion going on too. This was the minority.
        Last edited by Dogg Thang; 14-08-2015, 08:57. Reason: Edited to avoid opening up old and pretty pointless wounds.

Comment

I remember the banpocalypse very well. I was banned!

I was very immature back then though (mostly because I was about 15 years old) so it was probably deserved.

(please don't ban me thx)

Comment

It's almost like you all want a mass banning, just to give you some excitement to talk about, just like the old days.

Maybe I'll start doing a Charles compo style random name generation banhammer, once a week, just to get the moaning on site up to the required level.

Comment

It would have largely been invisible to you if it didn't involve you directly, we removed stuff pretty swiftly so most folks wouldn't have seen any of it. JB was quite correct in that thread - we didn't just hand out permabans. We discussed, often at length, whether do so or not as Charles posted.

As I mentioned quite recently, moderating a forum is a thankless task

Comment

Yep, indeed. No point in opening up old wounds. It's a different board and different times and all water under some bridge somewhere.

Comment

I can't remember you being a mod Marty. Where's Robster and Yorath's Mullet these days, too?

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                    It was a thing enough for the board name to get added to the swear filter, if I remember correctly.
                    I think the word '****' got swear-filtered as well, as a result of someone who got banned winding a mod up with it. Can't remember the details now.

edit: ha, it's still starred out now. The word is 'l u l z'.

Comment

Used to love the old ntsc-uk forums; especially 2004-2007. Some fantastic traders like bleeders and kubrick to name but a few and the trading forum was a vibrant place, overflowing with goodies everyday. There was always something going on and i remember many a laugh (and banning). I remember the mods back then coming in for alot of flak over what was described as 'over-zealous modding' and the whole GHZ event. Its very different here today though. Although its still my fav and most visited forum, its become abit cliquey and seems to be packed full of lurkers who dont really contribute anything to it. The trading forum is a former shadow of itself which is a real shame; i hardly even bother selling there anymore as there just isnt the interest. Great place though!

Comment

the last two posts highlight the fact some mods at the time were not up to the job and in turn culled as many good posters as bad.

Comment

There was definitely an overly, let's say, authoritarian style of modding at points in the past. Much more chilled now and all the better for it. Just had a peek at GHZ and it's very quiet. Same with opensenses (which was the other forum established around that time). Going by the activity on those forums, it can only really have been a handful of people who left in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
                            I can't remember you being a mod Marty. Where's Robster and Yorath's Mullet these days, too?
                            Quite some time ago now.

Probably the wisest thing anyone could take away from this thread is that your Internet footprint is archived and available for anyone to search for and read forever, even with the "Right To Be Forgotten"
                            Last edited by MartyG; 14-08-2015, 09:46.

Comment

Originally posted by endo View Post
                              I think the word '****' got swear-filtered as well, as a result of someone who got banned winding a mod up with it. Can't remember the details now.

edit: ha, it's still starred out now. The word is 'l u l z'.
                              [MENTION=3220]endo[/MENTION], if you continue to circumvent the swear filter, you will get a ban.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                                Quite some time ago now.

Probably the wisest thing anyone could take away from this thread is that your Internet footprint is archived and available for anyone to search for and read forever, even with the "Right To Be Forgotten"
                                Apart from all the stuff that got deleted ages ago. I can't look back at posts from when I first joined- they've all gone. There was a massive trimming of off-topic and other areas wasn't there?

Comment

Working...
                                X