No announcement yet.

Little Things that Bring a Smile to Your Face 5: Rainbow Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think winning means finishing: https://nanowrimo.uservoice.com/know...e-prizes-is-th

Unless all of those novels are read by very quick judges before the month ends...

Edit: yep.

Originally posted by Wikipedia
    No official prizes are awarded for length, quality, or speed. Anyone who reaches the 50,000 word mark is declared a winner. Beginning November 25, participants can submit their novel to be automatically verified for length and receive a printable certificate, an icon they can display on the web, and inclusion on the list of winners. No precautions are taken to prevent cheating; since the only significant reward for winning is the finished novel itself and the satisfaction of having written it, there is little incentive to cheat. Novels are verified for word count by software, and may be scrambled or otherwise encrypted before being submitted for verification, although the software does not keep any other record of text input. It is possible to win without anyone other than the author ever seeing or reading the novel.
    Last edited by Decider-VT; 29-11-2015, 23:50.

Comment

Thanks! I was wondering why the winners list was so substantial

I really like the idea.

In a world where digital trinkets and trophies reign supreme, where FB tells you your friend Jason from Shropshire just finished level 3 of Halo 5, a non-profit organization offers authors recognition for completing a novel without them having to reveal anything about it.

Right, that's the start of my new novel sorted.

Comment

Meta novel!

Comment

We went to this thing at the weekend.
          A winter wonderland event with melting ice sculptures and a 'wheelchair' on fire had visitors demanding a refund. Visitors had to queue for two hours for the event at Woburn Abbey, in Bedfordshire.

I've been enjoying moaning about it online and also how the national press have picked up on it and skewed it into something even more hilariously pathetic than it was.

BBC contacted me to ask if I had any photos of the event, which I did. But they were mostly terrible, so I sent them some of the rejects
          A winter festival is labelled a "shambles" by visitors for its long queues, thick mud, blown-out candles and melting sculptures.

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
            But I sn't it still going on? Or was yours so good they decided to just end it early? I'm confused!
            No, he woke up this morning with no memory and in some kafkaesque nightmare wrote a story for a competition in order to win a worthless prize of getting home to his family and posting on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by gunrock View Post
              No, he woke up this morning with no memory and in some kafkaesque nightmare wrote a story for a competition in order to win a worthless prize of getting home to his family and posting on this forum.
              Oi! The privilege of posting on a forum as prestigious as this one is NOT worthless!

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
              BBC contacted me to ask if I had any photos of the event, which I did. But they were mostly terrible, so I sent them some of the rejects
              http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...herts-34962650
              TIL your name isn't Boris.

I'm sad.

Comment

TIL your name isn't Boris.

I'm sad.
                Have to admit, Boris actually has quite a cool sounding real name.

Comment

Definitely. Sounds like a graphic novel author.

Comment

Thanks! I was wondering why the winners list was so substantial

I really like the idea.

In a world where digital trinkets and trophies reign supreme, where FB tells you your friend Jason from Shropshire just finished level 3 of Halo 5, a non-profit organization offers authors recognition for completing a novel without them having to reveal anything about it.
                    Ha, obviously it relies a fair bit on trust but at the same time, what's the point of lying about it? If someone wants to pretend to have written 50,000 words to impress people they haven't really gained much, where everyone else has gained a rubbish 50,000 word draft of something they'll never want to see again and an entire month of nothing but stress.*

It was an easy choice to just write the words! I don't doubt that some people are making it up though, submitting 50,000 words of Lorem Ipsum, I reckon they're the minority though, it's generally done in the right spirit!

(*In truth, it's a lot of fun and so bloody satisfying when you type that last word, I recommend everyone to try it at least once.)

Comment

I did it last year but finished a couple of days late.

Comment

It's the first of December so the USB lights and snowman have made a re-appearance!

His rendition of jingle bells got a round of applause from my co-workers this morning!
                        I thought last year they'd be ready to throw him in a skip, but they were waiting for me to get in and play the next tune!

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                        I bought a USB-powered drumming snowman, primarily to wind up the anti-Christmas grumps in my office, but he's a massive hit, with people requesting a song every morning and singing along!

Comment

On Monday I wanted to replace a faulty pair of Earpods I bought a few years ago and figured I'd be sneaky and use my AppleCare but I it had actually run out on Sunday.

Seeing as it was Apple and not Comet, I did my best puppy dog impression and they offered to sort me out

That's the smile out of the way. Now, then:

The faulty pair had developed an odour and some green stuff after having been kept in the case since they went funny so I was going to clean them up but the new pair arrived today and I gave the old pair to the postman without thinking(I have ten days to return them). I hope Apple doesn't consider it water damage because otherwise they're ok(and weren't actually water damaged). Unfortunately I had to give my credit card details so they'll charge me 15 quid if they consider the faulty ones out of warranty.

Comment

Originally posted by toythatkills View Post
                            (*In truth, it's a lot of fun and so bloody satisfying when you type that last word, I recommend everyone to try it at least once.)
                            I imagined it would be that in a nutshell.

Funnily enough, they recommend people submit that lorem ipsum stuff if their novel is written in a language the word counter doesn't recognise

Comment

The pub I'm in has King of the Monsters on freeplay.

Comment

King of the Pubs.

I installed RetroArch on my iPhone yesterday. It's buggy as heck but seeing the Streets of Rage intro made it all worth it

Comment

Working...
                                X