No announcement yet.

That London.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, London is expensive, tube costs are nuts, and it's pretty manic. BUT it's also a great place to live for the culture. There are so many amazing things to do in London in regards to night life which does not just mean ****ty clubbing which I personally hate. From secret late night book clubs, to swing nights, to awesome blues and jazz bars, to late nights at the Science/National History museum events and Secret Cinema, indy cinemas, etc etc, there really is something for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
      London rocks. It's the greatest city in the world.
      Have you lived in them all?

Personally I have lived in four cities (Glasgow, Dublin, London, Osaka) and out of those four only, London would be rock bottom.

Comment

Yes, but have you skated in London etc etc

Comment

I wouldn't even put London as the best city in the UK, never mind the world.

Comment

It is what you make of it, I guess. I've been here for 9 years and there isn't anywhere else in the UK that I'd rather be (at least out of the cities I've visited). I have considered moving back to Newcastle every now and again, as I can do my job anywhere, but don't think it's really worth saving the ?200-300 a month difference between my current place and what a decent place there would cost. I might reconsider when it comes round to getting a mortgage.

Comment

darkangel summed it up for me. London's a bit cack but compared to Tokyo it's heaven. You'd never get something like 5 quid tickets for The Proms over here.

Comment

Originally posted by darkangel View Post
                From secret late night book clubs, to swing nights, to awesome blues and jazz bars, to late nights at the Science/National History museum events and Secret Cinema, indy cinemas, etc etc, there really is something for everyone.
                That sort of thing is contributing to why I like London less these days- people see this sort of stuff, fancy it and move here, when it's just too damn overcrowded already. Even something as simple as buying tickets to see a band has turned into a race against the clock now.

Comment

The trick is to like really obscure stuff then you'll be fine

Comment

So, I basically have two options, take a job at Line (Japanese version of What's App) which would mean remaining in Japan or at job at a Japanese Electronics company in Wokingham, Berkshire. Or, I guess i could always wait for something else to appear.

Just wondering for people who live on the outskirts of London, if there is much going on in these suburban pockets or if they are basically commuting hubs for the big city? After going from Tokyo, I am not sure if I could handle somewhere like....

Comment

I grew up only 5 miles from the town Royston Vasey was based on...

Ah the memories....

Comment

Originally posted by tokyochojin View Post
                        So, I basically have two options, take a job at Line (Japanese version of What's App) which would mean remaining in Japan or at job at a Japanese Electronics company in Wokingham, Berkshire. Or, I guess i could always wait for something else to appear.

Just wondering for people who live on the outskirts of London, if there is much going on in these suburban pockets or if they are basically commuting hubs for the big city? After going from Tokyo, I am not sure if I could handle somewhere like....
                        I used to live in Wokingham and a few places near there (Hurst and Eversley). Workingham has easy access to Reading which is a bit of a dump, but lots of nightlife and stuff. If you like Mountain Biking, there are loads of great trails. It is in between the M3 and the M4, so easy access to London, Wales and the south coast by car.

I enjoyed it for a few years, but have now moved closer to the sea and the South Downs.

Comment

Originally posted by The Moleman View Post
                          I grew up only 5 miles from the town Royston Vasey was based on...
                          So did I.

Also, either stay in Japan, or think about California.

Comment

A house I lived in was painted by Royston Vasey's son, but I'm sure I covered it in the "Lame to Fame" thread!

Comment

Originally posted by tokyochojin View Post
                              Thanks for all of the feedback guys, it's definitely opened my eyes to what's in store. Commuting is not an issue for me as I am more than used to that in Tokyo.
                              Can I just say, I'd take a 90min commute in Tokyo over a 20min one in London. Seriously.

Comment

I wouldn't. My journey in London was 30 mins on the Bakerloo, 40 if I had to use the overground. I had a 60 minute journey into Tokyo for my last job and it was horrible. Guys in blue pushing people into the train, that kind of stuff. My back used to hurt a lot because of it. I'd get on the train all sprightly and get off a total wreck in the morning.

Comment

Working...
                                X