The Japan trip resource thread 2.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
    Thank you [MENTION=2625]randombs[/MENTION]! I really appreciate that! Yes, I didn’t get what that visitors part meant because the google translate version seems to have come out a bit weird, using the phrase “bid to the” event. I wondered if maybe they were organising travel for winners within Japan to go but obviously couldn’t do that for people overseas but I couldn’t see anything that suggested that. I guess it only really matters if I stand a chance of winning! Going by previous winners, I think they go for exactly what I don’t do (very minimal style) and I did consider trying to push in that direction but then figured I may as well do what I do well rather than try to do what I don’t badly, if you get my meaning. Anyway, I will do my best!

Thank you again for the help. I really appreciate it! And thanks so much too for the offer to forward any questions. That’s really kind of you and, if I find I need to, I’ll take you up on it.

In other news, on my likely pointless quest to learn Japanese, I read a tweet in Japanese yesterday and understood it right away. That’s a big milestone. Flip side is I watched the two Battle Royale films last weekend and, in spite of doing a bit of Japanese every day for two months, I was able to decipher no more than about 6 words across both films. Obviously my vocabulary is still tiny but I think listening comprehension is going to turn out to be a big challenge. Anyway, it’s fun. It’s like solving puzzles.
    Don't do it my friend. You want the puzzle part of your brain infected by the Jap equivalent of Rupert Murdoch viruses? Probably be fine, just don't read the newspapers. Ackbar it's a trap.

If you want to be cool and respected for real, not just Arnold Rimmer intellectualism, learn some basic words like 'food', 'building' or 'person' and then use emotional intonation and pointing, like Homer Simpson after a car crash or something. And then very importantly, assimilate whatever words people intonate and point with, or they'll probably throw stuff at you like a naughty racoon. Doing everything I just said is Frank Sinatra arrogant if you don't care about learning. Free your spirit or something, your Zen animal - strength of the bear bear bear... (Bravestar).
    Last edited by shimano; 07-07-2021, 04:12.

Comment

Thread revival! Planning a trip to Japan in either early April or October next year.
      Couple of questions to the residents.

How's the weather? For the past two/three years here it has shifted so much that snowfalls are more likely in March/April than December, and October is warm enough to go around in a t-shirt. Can I expect decent spring weather in April?

I was thinking to tour the Buppa prefecture, and some have suggested renting a car. Do you think a westener will be able to get around without too much fuss? I have some experience in driving on the right but what worries me are parking places and such...not to mention that having my current licence recognised is a bit of a pain.

Comment

April is nice and October is still about 28 degrees! Only this week I've started to wear long sleeve shirts for work.
        So for October you'll be fine in T-shirt. In fact last Saturday I was in shorts! Not this weekend though, it is starting to get a bit chilly at 22 degrees.

As for driving, all major signs are in English as well as Japanese. Satnavs may be tricky though as they tend to be Japanese only.
        Driving in Japan is piss easy. It's just like the UK apart from a car can turn left across a zebra crossing while the light is on green for people.
        Last edited by Yakumo; 15-11-2022, 14:22.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
          As for driving, all major signs are in English as well as Japanese. Satnavs may be tricky though as they tend to be Japanese only.
          Driving in Japan is piss easy. It's just like the UK apart from a car can turn left across a zebra crossing while the light is on green for people.
          Yakumo pootling along to work:

Comment

I've always loved February. Crisp, clear skies. Cold enough to mean you have to wear a jumper and jacket but good for walking.

May was hideous the year i visited - muggy, wet, bleurgh!!

October was nice but, according to the hotel, freakishly warm. We'd packed jumpers etc. expecting Feb style weather but it was 20 degrees and blazing sunshine for the whole trip!!

Comment

Was looking forward forward to our 20th anniversary trip to Japan next year, we spent a few weeks in tokyo and the surrounding areas back when, but being quite young and travel noobs we didn't do the rest of the country, so this trip we was really going to blitz it all.

Sadly with my friend passing away a few months back we wont ever be doing that together now , ill have to solo it one day i guess now as i won't be trudging a toddler around with me, they can stay home .

Comment

[MENTION=2561]fishbowlhead[/MENTION] I'm thinking we should arrange a forumite trip to Japan!!!

Comment

I’m planning to go to Japan in September. Hoping to avoid the hot and rainy periods. Still undecided about going on my own though.

Comment

Not been out of the UK for two years, going for a Tokyo wander on my lonesome next year.
                    Not sure exactly when but I’m always up for a meet up and a pint.

Comment

April is nice and October is still about 28 degrees! Only this week I've started to wear long sleeve shirts for work.
                      So for October you'll be fine in T-shirt. In fact last Saturday I was in shorts! Not this weekend though, it is starting to get a bit chilly at 22 degrees.

Yes dead easy driving in Japan for Brits as its the same side of the road, bonuses are you don't have the knobheads we have to deal with here. Interesting fact, Beemer's or Merc's sold in Japan are seconds as their indicators work.
                      The only bit I would add if you are driving in more rural areas is beware of the old people as they basically do whatever they want on the road, easily identifiable as they are usually going at 10 km/h and wobbling all over the shop.

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                      I’m planning to go to Japan in September. Hoping to avoid the hot and rainy periods. Still undecided about going on my own though.
                      That's typhoon season.

Comment

Originally posted by Anpanman View Post

That's typhoon season.
                        Ah! It’ll have to be October then. I’m still waiting on my shift rota for next year before I can start seriously looking. Seen a lot of packages lasting two weeks but I’m wondering if that’s enough time? I’m hoping this trip will be a catch all taster for the country then in the future I can focus on different areas for longer.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                          September is still bloody hot mate and still a bit humid as well. The humidity doesn't really go away until late October.

Comment

Originally posted by Anpanman View Post
                            The only bit I would add if you are driving in more rural areas is beware of the old people as they basically do whatever they want on the road, easily identifiable as they are usually going at 10 km/h and wobbling all over the shop.
                            ol, so true. They're a right pain in the arse.
                            Also, if someone is driving in Kyushu they should be aware there are far more crappy drivers in Kyushu for some reason. Most don't know what an indicator is until they're actually turning. That really pisses me off.
                            But yeah, for brits and Australians etc, driving in Japan is easy. 99% of the rules are the same plus driving on the same side of the road.
                            Oh, if you like speed, you're out of luck in Japan. Most motorways are limited to 80kmph, not that most peoe follow that . In Hokaido there are many areas without speed limits though plus they have British style traffic lights. Most of Japan uses American horizontal style.

Comment

I do my annual Thai trip about January/February and I was thinking next time round I might see if I can get some cheap flights and stick 7 days in Japan on the end. The weather looks not brilliant, but I was genuinely surprised at how cheap the hotels are around that time even once you've narrowed it down to ones in a non-stupid location. Guess it's super low-season, wouldn't bother me that much as I prefer just looking around the place and going in shops over going to the big tourist attractions.

Comment

September is still bloody hot mate and still a bit humid as well. The humidity doesn't really go away until late October.
                                Cheers for that. I’ll look towards the later part of the month then.

Comment

Working...
                                X