No announcement yet.

The Japan trip resource thread 2.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had a quick question for anyone here living in Japan or anyone with knowledge about travel out there.

I'm considering booking a trip to Japan next year and have always wanted to stay in Tokyo as a base, and go during cherry blossom season. I've noted that it takes place around March in Tokyo so was considering March / April in 2023 as the perfect time to go. I've also been told to stay away from Japan during Golden Week as loads of places are closed and all of Japan have that week off.

Is Golden Week always best to be avoided and if I wanted to stay in Tokyo for 2 weeks, is March or April good months to consider?

My super rough plans are to stay for 2 weeks in Tokyo in mid March 2023. Would love to get some taste of cherry blossom season in the area, be located in Tokyo with 1 eye on the idea of 2 long trips on 2 of those 14 days to 2 other areas of Japan by train or car hire if I was feeling brave!

Finally, had a look at lots of hotels and settling in on this; The Gate Hotel Tokyo.

Any impressions or advice, much welcome!

Comment

[MENTION=680]Wools[/MENTION] There were loads of cherry blossom out in late Feb too last time I went.

It's all that climate change messing up with the world, innit?!

Comment

You don't want to come in Golden week. Not because everything is closed, in fact everything is open but the cost of hotels will be expensive and public transport will be packed!

Comment

Good to hear [MENTION=2540]teddymeow[/MENTION] not about the globalwarming part, of course.

Thanks [MENTION=1524]Yakumo[/MENTION] I've only heard about Golden Week recently, will work out what week it falls in 2023 and stay away. Reminds me, all those videos you've made about visiting Hard Off have made a lasting impression on me. Might be the first place me and Mrs Wools visit!

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
            You don't want to come in Golden week. Not because everything is closed, in fact everything is open but the cost of hotels will be expensive and public transport will be packed!
            I was gonna say though, while Yakumo's right, guidebooks will tell you to avoid Golden Week like it's some sort of apocalyptic event. It's not the end of the world if you're there during it. In fact, I found when out and about, there was something nice about it, in that you'll see lots of people and families who are off work, doing touristy stuff, it can be pretty cool. Just things will be busy.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
              I was gonna say though, while Yakumo's right, guidebooks will tell you to avoid Golden Week like it's some sort of apocalyptic event. It's not the end of the world if you're there during it. In fact, I found when out and about, there was something nice about it, in that you'll see lots of people and families who are off work, doing touristy stuff, it can be pretty cool. Just things will be busy.
              That is a good point but I think from the prospective of a tourist is could be too hectic to deal with. Personally I don't travel in GOLDEN week for this exact reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                That is a good point but I think from the prospective of a tourist is could be too hectic to deal with. Personally I don't travel in GOLDEN week for this exact reason.
                I don't doubt it, and you're totally right. Just I've in the past had books like the Lonely Planet Japan and Time Out Japan etc. and the way they describe Golden Week is atrocious

Comment

Questions, a bit random....
                  1) are masks still mandatory?
                  2) I scarpped my original plan of doing Kyoto-Osaka-Tottori-Tokyo-Hirosaki-Tokyo, way too many day lost to travel as you can see. So I'm skipping Hirosaki and explore the area near Tottori before going back to Tokyo for the flight back home. Any suggestions on what to see in that area of Japan, past the Tottori prefecture also?

Comment

Tottori, no idea but masks are still worn. While the government said they're not mandatory you will still need to wear one inside most places and definitely on public transport.
                    Most people also still wear one outside too.

Comment

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
                      Questions, a bit random....
                      1) are masks still mandatory?
                      If you’re not worried about judging looks and side glances, you’ll probably be fine in most places. I often see people without masks these days walking in and out of shops and trains and no one says anything to them. Even my local Family Mart staff don’t wear masks when I go after midnight.

I went to a shop in Akihabara that said they won’t allow you in without a mask because it’s super crowded and tight but otherwise I only see “please wear a mask” signs.

Comment

Cheers. Found two locations near Tottori: Izumo and Matsue. Now to submit holiday request and hope it gets approved.

Comment

Another question about driving in Japan: should you always move to the sloest lane available (left, right?) like in Europe or it's like America where you pick a lane and move from it as little a possible?

I've just discovered one of my hotels is an uphill 30min walk from the nearest train/subway/bus station, so I'm going to totally rent a car.

Comment

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
                            Another question about driving in Japan: should you always move to the sloest lane available (left, right?) like in Europe or it's like America where you pick a lane and move from it as little a possible?

I've just discovered one of my hotels is an uphill 30min walk from the nearest train/subway/bus station, so I'm going to totally rent a car.
                            Same as the UK. Many motor ways are two lanes only so drive in the left lane and use the right one for over taking. Or if you're fast enough, just drive in the right lane.

Comment

Some motorways are one lane!

Anyway, wife was saying that the Japanese gov are dithering on whether to classify covid as flu thereby excluding PCR tests if you aren't fully vaxed.

Comment

If you have three doses you no longer need a test already, but you still need to register and submit your vaccination certificates for review before entering the country.

Comment

Working...
                                X