This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blobcat View Post
    People talking/swearing loudly in a public place.

Went to a wetherspoons
    Let me stop you right there. Lol

Comment

Noticed that the date on ym wristwatch was wrong, so changed it. After putting the knob back to its position the watch started beeping...in the middle of the German class. No chance to make it stop, the case is pressurised and requires a lot of strenght and leverage to be opened, so no way to take the battery out. It's still beeping, and the only place I've found that stops the beep (very high-frequency) is the fridge.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
        Control Panel > Uninstall a program > Scroll to "Windows Update KB3035583" or something to that effect and then hit Uninstall on the bar above the scroll list.

I'd suggest disabling Windows Update too, otherwise it will just download that again. Unless of course, you can blacklist that update or whatever.
        I have my updates set to download but don't install unless I say so.

After you've installed the update in question, you will probably need to restart the PC. Then go back into Windows Updates, get it to rescan, it will ping up with the update. right click, HIDE! Problem hopefully solved.
        Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
          Noticed that the date on ym wristwatch was wrong, so changed it. After putting the knob back to its position the watch started beeping...in the middle of the German class. No chance to make it stop, the case is pressurised and requires a lot of strenght and leverage to be opened, so no way to take the battery out. It's still beeping, and the only place I've found that stops the beep (very high-frequency) is the fridge.
          Hilarious. Tech fights back.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
            Hilarious. Tech fights back.
            Yep, I laughed too.

Comment

Someone told me they didn't like Kill Bill on Twitter.

Comment

They were fun at the time but for me, it's now the watershed moment where Tarantino pissed away all of the excellent style he developed up to and including Jackie Brown. After that he just started making slavish homages to films he watched when he was younger. The best thing I can say about his modern films is that they're occasionally funny but that's it. (Sadly The Hateful Eight looks like more of the same brand of tripe he served up with Django Unchained.)

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                  Someone told me they didn't like Kill Bill on Twitter.
                  I didn't like the Asian version that doesn't switch to black and white for the tea house fight scene. Far too much red spray.

Comment

Kryss promising beer photos then them not appearing irks me.
                    Last edited by Colin; 12-12-2015, 20:45.

Comment

I told you to meet me in the beer thread. Then I went to sleep instead.

PSst, meet me in the beer thread!

Comment

Originally posted by Decider-VT View Post
                        They were fun at the time but for me, it's now the watershed moment where Tarantino pissed away all of the excellent style he developed up to and including Jackie Brown. After that he just started making slavish homages to films he watched when he was younger. The best thing I can say about his modern films is that they're occasionally funny but that's it. (Sadly The Hateful Eight looks like more of the same brand of tripe he served up with Django Unchained.)
                        Killjoy.

Kill Bill was kinda my introduction to Tarentino, an impressionable 13 or 14 year old finding the sheer comical violence very novel. I adore it. Last Tarentino I saw was Inglourious Basterds and I enjoyed that. I definitely get what you mean though, but I'm fine with it largely. Pulp Fiction is another favourite alongside Kill Bill - can watch both over and over and be amused by them. Still have many to see.

Hell, I even liked Death Proof.

Comment

I liked Inglourious Basterds purely for the fact that it was a fantastic comedy that played very liberally with actual history. Listening to Aldo Raine speaking Italian was definitely a high point. (I liked Death Proof as well. )

My introduction to Tarantino was through a VHS tape of Pulp Fiction that my parents let me watch, after news about it spread like wildfire across my school. I was about the same age you were when you saw Kill Bill but I suppose there was an inescapable phenomenon around Pulp Fiction that Kill Bill just didn't have and it was hard to not get caught up in it, especially when you're on the cusp of adulthood and discovering wider culture for the first time. I enjoyed Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs and True Romance a lot but Jackie Brown really hit a sweet spot for me. I went to see it on my 16th birthday and I immediately liked the way it had dialled back some of the excesses of Tarantino's previous films and gave the characters some room to breathe between the snappy dialogue- they're much more than cutouts built around witty patter, engaging anecdotes and extreme violence. (It's probably quite telling that the film's most shocking, violent moment also happens off-camera.) I think it's still my favourite of all of his work.

For years afterwards, I'd read snippets of information here and there about how Tarantino had become reclusive and was struggling with his next film. After Jackie Brown, I'd had high hopes that we were going to see him reach a new level of storytelling that broke new ground and unfortunately that just didn't end up being the case. I went to see both parts of Kill Bill when I first started dating my wife and I was just so disappointed. He seemed like he'd gone from being ahead of the curve to being stuck in the past completely, making indulgent fan projects playing on tropes from b-tier Kung Fu and Blaxploitation fare. That's fine for one film but he just seems to keep ploughing the same furrow, to ever-diminishing returns. It's such a shame, because deep down you just know that he's capable of much better work than what he's been turning out for the last fifteen years.

Comment

The amount I spent on cocktails last night.

Comment

Got tickets to see Amelie at the BFI South Bank tonight but I had norovirus on Saturday (I think) and now my other half has got it (oops) so we can't go. Gutted.

So if anyone can pick some tickets up in Kingston and wants to go see Amelie at half eight, do be quick.

Comment

Just wash your hands after handling them...

Comment

Working...
                                X