Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Due to moving circumstances I'm about to start and almost 7 week run where I'll only see SF Jr at the weekends. Sucks majorly but all being well it should be the only time in his entire life it has to be done. It's so going to make him a full on mummy's boy.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
      Edit: Actually, [MENTION=680]Wools[/MENTION] I just read your post from a few pages back in the watches thread explaining your feeling on watches and getting one you want and, you know what? My own post here is a bit dickish. Ignore it. Love your watches you worked for and enjoy them. Don't let some grumpy sod like me take even the slightest bit away from that.
      Please don't apologise, you've got nothing to apologise for!

The Tag Heuer I got was brought purely as a luxury and is nothing more than that. The sub culture that surrounds watches is fairly horrible and I don't plan on jumping further down the rabbit hole (Nor can I afford or wish to!) as it's just people waving their bank statements around. But the F1 Tag is something I've always aspired to buy so it was a treat to myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Wools View Post
        If anyone thinks Videogame communities or chat is embarrassing, elitist, full of fanboys or just plain nasty, take warmth from the fact it's not exclusive to us.

After buying a new watch and visiting various sites and forums, it's full of the most elitist and aligned to one brand idiots I've ever seen in my life. Also the prices people pay for watches, and the supposed exclusivity they buy into, is astonishing. People buying a watch for ?5K, finding another for more money, selling it and then proclaiming anything less then theirs is cheap and nasty...

We have nothing on them for pure arsehole-ness.
        It's something that I've never really spoken about apart from here, I knew there must be watch forums around but it's never really interested me that much to join one whereas video games do and I enjoy the banter

@ dogg - guess it's different strokes
        I love smart watches and don't regret what my watches cost me, whereas I would never spend ?60+ on a pair of trainers, ?100+ for a t-shirt and cars do not interest me in the slightest be it cars going round a track like a fly going around your living room or spending a crazy amount on one - my cars are generally cheap, economical and good for the environment

But people here go mad for Lego, wrestling, models and other stuff that I think is complete chuff - but they like them and that's what matters

But my most treasured watch is the one my partner bought me for my 40th - lovely seiko kinetic
        Last edited by buster_broon; 01-02-2016, 17:39.

Comment

Watches are just like anything else that's a hobby and a luxury (like videogames or figurines). They're not my jam personally but I can see why people get so into them.

I do like my black G-Shock though

Comment

In 12 hours time I will be on my way to Tokyo.

I am scared of flying. I am already ****ting myself. My fear irks me.

Comment

I love flying, I was grinning like an idiot during take-off and landing going to Japan last year.

Comment

I used get big headaches and popping ears from the pressure change during take-off and landing but recently it's been getting better and on my last trip I was completely fine both ways(stop-over in Moscow, too). Going from flying once in about seven years to flying 1-2 times a year has helped!

As for watches, I don't own a fancy one(or even use a watch thanks to my phone) but I can appreciate the appeal. If I were to splash out on one it would also be a smart watch rather than some techno-thingy.

Comment

I used to be in the camp of people who didn't wear watches since the advent of mobile phones, until I was bought one for Christmas 2 years ago. Since then I can't function without one.

Comment

Taxiing, taking off, and landing are the only fun parts about flying; the rest is just going from queue to queue, waiting, then waiting, and waiting some more.

Comment

I find if remarkable people spend so much on watches. I mean, just look at the position of the sun. Sheesh!

Comment

I used to be fine with flying and then started getting nervous about 10 years ago or so. Not sure why. Now take-off and landing are kind of scary and turbulence isn't fun for me at all. But I tend to distract myself with games or work and that does the job. It's better now that they don't make you switch off all devices for take-off and landing.

Comment

Got home from work, my wife had prepared yakiniku meat for dinner, with a little electrical hot plate (stone plate above a heating element). She turned it on to warm up while I got out of my work clothes etc, then I sat down to eat. I was looking at this unusual pattern at the bottom of the hot plate, and wondering why the heating element was so low down... gradually dawned on me that she had placed the thing on the table upside down, put the stone plate on the feet it should have been standing on, and was steadily burning a hole through our placemats and tablecloth.

I think I was quite justifiable in the way I freaked out, but now she's got the hump because 'I always make it her fault'. Gahhhhh

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
                            I find if remarkable people spend so much on watches. I mean, just look at the position of the sun. Sheesh!
                            [hide][/hide]

Comment

Originally posted by Darwock View Post
                              I think I was quite justifiable in the way I freaked out, but now she's got the hump because 'I always make it her fault'. Gahhhhh
                              That reminded me when I witnessed a portable beamer melt on a customer's table.

The little thing could stay on for 30 or so minutes, then it will shut down and keep its fan spinning to prevent overheat; during the cool-off period it had to be plugged in, otherwise it would melt. Literally.
                              After a couple of meltdowns I attached a big red stickers with instructions.

One day one of the sellers and I were at a customer's, I was with other graphic designers talking about technicalities while the seller was demoing with the beamer.
                              After a while he called me about the beamer not working, and I reached the meeting room only to see the beamer melting and becoming an expensive mass of plastic, metal, amd glass on the customer's table. The seller unplugged the beamer during the cool-off period because the fan was too loud.

Comment

Many years ago my dad put an electric deep fat fryer over a ring that was on. It had a plastic bottom. That didn't end well.

Comment

Working...
                                X