This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    Since being in my new job a couple of years, my car has suffered more car park rash than it did the ten years prior. Door dents, wheel arch dents, back bumper nudged/paint cracked ... and then last Monday someone had backed into the front, right across it, nice hole ripped in it.

Bizarrely, after feeling angry about the lowlife who chose not to do the right thing and leave a note, I feel it's been bashed so much they can't hurt it anymore. It's not special anymore. So I ain't worried about it anymore.
    Get a camera that points front and back and leave it on all day, or on a motion sensor to catch the f*****s out.

Comment

Got to the car this morning to get to work and...dead.

Think the battery must have somehow kept running overnight, this has never happened with this car before and I have had it for over 5 years.
      No idea what to do as I was nearly locked in as the lock light flashed like crazy like the alarm was going to go off so I jumped out with my bags and it locked soon after, not responding at all with my key.

I have to be in the car to pop the hood so no idea what to do. A collegue said apparently my Nissan Micra may have an easy to install battery. My crappy old Ford KA died all the time at work so I called the AA for it a few times but my cover doesn't cover within 3 miles of where I live. Don't really know anyone to rely on jump cables.

What to do...

Comment

Originally posted by Blobcat View Post

Think the battery must have somehow kept running overnight, this has never happened with this car before and I have had it for over 5 years.
        No idea what to do as I was nearly locked in as the lock light flashed like crazy like the alarm was going to go off so I jumped out with my bags and it locked soon after, not responding at all with my key.

I have to be in the car to pop the hood so no idea what to do. A collegue said apparently my Nissan Micra may have an easy to install battery. My crappy old Ford KA died all the time at work so I called the AA for it a few times but my cover doesn't cover within 3 miles of where I live. Don't really know anyone to rely on jump cables.

What to do...
        A lot of the time The AA will let you upgrade your cover mid term so you can add homestart, makes sure its an AA van that comes out to you though as they will be able to tell you if its the battery as they have battery testers, you can replace the battery in most cars pretty easily and they may also do it for you too.
        Last edited by Lebowski; 01-06-2018, 10:33.

Comment

What to do...
          Use your key in the passenger lock. That’s actually the master lock. You should at least be able to get into the car.

Also, check your key battery, if the battery has run out the transponder in it won’t work, which will lock the car down from powering on.

If you have a ford key they can actually fall out, check you key has a little blue bit of plastic in the end.
          Last edited by fishbowlhead; 01-06-2018, 10:38.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
            Use your key in the passenger lock. That’s actually the master lock. You should at least be able to get into the car.

Also, check your key battery, if the battery has run out the transponder in it won’t work, which will lock the car down from powering on.

If you have a ford key they can actually fall out, check you key has a little blue bit of plastic in the end.
            I used to have a ford but no more, my current is a nissan micra which has a battery key.

Can I replace the key battery easily? I see places like key cutters do it but do I have to go to a nissan place? I'd like to get that replaced first as I am pretty sure now that may have died rather than the car battery (the distance to unlock it has been getting shorter).

Thanks for your help guys, I had to get the bus this morning which luckily only meant I was 10 mins late for work. Weekend job to fix I hope.

Comment

I used to have a ford but no more, my current is a nissan micra which has a battery key.

Can I replace the key battery easily? I see places like key cutters do it but do I have to go to a nissan place? I'd like to get that replaced first as I am pretty sure now that may have died rather than the car battery (the distance to unlock it has been getting shorter).

Thanks for your help guys, I had to get the bus this morning which luckily only meant I was 10 mins late for work. Weekend job to fix I hope.
              If the battery has died for more than 10mins (roughly) the transponder has probably lost its coding, which will mean re-coding when it has a fresh battery. This will mean the immobiliser is now locked on.

Replacing the battery is a price of cake. Reprogramming the key usually isn’t unfortunately. You’ll need to look up the procedure for your make and model to re-program the key once it has a fresh battery.

Unless you have a spare key which has a good battery in? Then you can worry about reprogramming the dead one later I guess.

Comment

I'm currently in a soft play centre.
                Obviously, that's an irk in itself, but I think they're missing a trick not catering to the dads.
                They would make a mint if, as well as the kids' arcade machines, they had some retro cabs.

...and maybe a "What The Butler Saw" machine.

Comment

That would be ace!

There's a big pub where we live that was refurbed a couple of years ago and when it reopened, they'd put a pretty big soft play area in it, with tables and booths so parents can keep an eye on the kids. Great idea and I'm surprised no one else did it before. Only bummer is it's utterly rammed on rainy days, so much so they actually turn people away.

Comment

So, I was reading a BattleTech manual and I've found myself wanting to play MechCommander again. But the game's disc is still at my parents' almost six years after I moved to Switzerland, so the yarrh way it is.
                    Finding it was easy enough, but whowever did that disc image thought Nero was a cool program and I had to download a converter from NRG to ISO. Fine enough.
                    I start to play and after a while and the NAS and computer reboot. Both are behind their own UPS...that's strange I thought. Well, the UPSes are kinda old and it'd be time to replace them...well, kinda hard to do on a Friday afternoon. And then again, why both NAS and computer at the same time if they're behind separate devices? And no other device connected to those UPSes rebooted.
                    I might have wired something wrong.
                    Oh well, back to MechCommander.
                    I almost finish a mission and poof, same thing as before.
                    Mhmmm. Is a 1998 videogame causing all this trouble? Who knows, but the computer (or the NAS) didn't flicnh before while rendering a video today, yesterday, and a few days back, plus they went through BattleTech (2018 game) without any problem. I'm more than half an hour since the second and last power-induced reboot and everything's fine. Unzipped a few things, run a VM.
                    Oh well, ordered two new UPSes anyway.

Comment

Sanwa chassis broken in pink capcom cute.

Need to send it to Kent for repair. That's a long journey and can't really afford the repair.

Might replace it with a spare Nanao, but that would need new rgb cable made for it. Wouldn't even know where to buy the parts for that!

Comment

The word "Dorothy". It's my Kryptonite. My tongue can't process the "ro" quick enough. It's a word that makes me feel like ol' pillow-tongue, Jamie Oliver.

I had to move two Dorothys today and they were very old and very deaf and I had to say "Dorothy" many times and it all sounded like my mouth was foaming out white pudding material like a sausage machine.

Comment

Like the ass in 2 girls, 1 cup. Drivelling out verbal sludge like a spasticated caveman.

Comment

Gig ticket sales. In recent years, I have been fortunate to want to go to gigs that not a huge amount of other people do so, while I have heard all the stories of ticketing heartbreak, I haven’t experienced it for myself. Yesterday that changed. My favourite kpop boy band has hit the big time and is on tour and demand was insane. Tried to get tickets for the London dates and it was a bloodbath. Four times the ticketmaster app told me I had tickets and then failed to process - seemed like the app was broken. A bunch of coworkers tried too but we got nothing. It was incredibly disappointing. But those of you who go to big gigs probably know where this is going... even before the gig had officially sold out, seatwave (also owned by tkcketmaster) was selling tickets at insanely inflated prices. And if you look at how much seatwave makes per ticket, it’s a massive mark up - making more per ticket than selling them in the first place. So they get a cut of selling them twice, with the scalper prices making them more money per unit. It’s in ticketmaster’s interests to sell them to scalpers rather than people who actually want to go to the gig.

That feels wrong beyond just the disappointment of what happened.

Anyway, if anyone finds their way into being able to obtain 2 seated tickets for any of the London or European BTS dates at not stupidly inflated prices, let me know. It would make me and my daughter very happy.

Comment

I don’t know how it’s not illegal for ticket sites to own secondary ticket sites, scale of thier greed is off the charts.
                              Hard enough competing with touts who treat it like a small business, now the peope who sell you tickets are encouraging the touts to sell via them whilst they take a cut twice, disgusting.

I used an app called Twickets to bag a ticket for a gig, only thing was it was day before gig but they do only sell tickets for face value. I only used it because it was a local gig though but it was pretty handy.

Comment

Update on car - key batteries are fine so pretty sure its Car battery/ immobiliser being an arse.

Never replaced a battery before...if I do that and and its still buggered I dont know what to do short of a call out which I'd rather not do.
                                Or just do a call out to replace the battery for under £100 I don't know, the whole thing is annoying and irritating as this is exactly what I didn't want to deal with this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                                X