Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Visited a website, now getting called by the company, is it legal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's crazy and so invasive.

I guess that initial phone call would've been a good time to ask how they got your number!

If it happened to me I'd be all "wow, you got my number! Cool! How did you do that?" rather than "Oi! How the flip did you get this number you mofos!?!?" as flattery would more likely reveal the truth, but I doubt the phone sent the phone number itself as part of the request.

Were you on wifi at the time or mobile data? Do you use any messaging/calling apps on that phone like Viber? Perhaps they are using some company that linked certain information about you together.

Anyone else willing to try using their website for this investigation?

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
      I doubt the phone sent the phone number itself as part of the request. )
      Yeah, that would never happen.

Comment

Jesus.

That'll teach me to doubt such things!

Comment

So the useful piece of info here is this test site: http://www.mulliner.org/pc.cgi (presume needs to be used when you are on mobile data, not wifi)

For me it says no problem detected

"It is not about the kind of phone, but if the operator uses a transparent proxy"

Comment

I can confirm that NTT Docomo users are safe... For now

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
              I can confirm that NTT Docomo users are safe... For now
              I'm sure both of you are relieved.

Comment

[MENTION=2625]randombs[/MENTION]. I'm on machinery all day and it's to noisy to speak to anyone on the phone even if I had answered the call, which I didn't. I used a whocalledme website to find out what the number was from. I have watsapp but it's set to my contacts only, which obviously that company was not a part of.

[MENTION=25]charlesr[/MENTION]. That website reports no problems on my connection over 3G.

I need to speak to trading standards next.

If anyone else would like to try this to see if they are doing it to every website visitor I'm happy to pm you the details. It would help me out as well in the long run to have others document them doing it.
                Last edited by fishbowlhead; 09-02-2016, 11:56.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification.

Comment

Working...
                  X