No announcement yet.

America's Darkest Days II: Blackest Night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep. Agreed. This was not the blue wave. The opposing party almost always takes the House so that’s just normal rather than a sign of a swell of resistance. The amount of people still voting for the Republicans after everything that has happened in the last two years is really sad. As SF says, maybe you could excuse some of that in 2016 (although I have become far less willing to do so) but now I don’t care what anyone thinks their reasons are - they have had to be okay with the worst kind of people and the worst kind of actions and words.

The ongoing problem is the divide. It really feels like America is at war with itself in a way it never was in my lifetime.

Comment

I've looked pretty closely and 219 : 193 is definitely not 50:50.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
        I've looked pretty closely and 219 : 193 is definitely not 50:50.
        It's an approximation. 50% is 206. 219 is only slightly higher than 206 and 193 is only slightly lower.

The rhetoric was that Trump came in because an undercurrent of society - a vocal minority - were galvanised into action because they felt ignored by politics. Given that voter turnout in the US (and many western nations) is generally low, this meant that these malcontents were able to swing the vote.

Today, we've seen a vote with high turnout and nearly half of it went Trump's way. It's no longer a vocal minority; it's nearly half the nation that are okay with building the wall, grabbing by the pussy, "clean coal", responding to thrown stones with lethal force and believing that all news they don't agree with is fake.

Admittedly, this is a problem with the two-party system, as opposed to a specific Trump issue. For instance, there are many Americans with very specific problems (such as their views on abortion) who feel they have to vote red because to vote blue goes against one of their entrenched beliefs. However, that doesn't change the outcome.

Comment

Please don't come and do any building work in my house

I'm not sure what people were expecting, everyone to suddenly vote Democrat? That was never going to happen.

With the Democrats taking the house they can now start making life difficult for Trump. Far too many glass half empties here.

The outcome is Democrats now control the house of representatives.

Comment

Don't get me wrong, two years of watching Trump tweet himself to the brink of psychosis because of the House snapping at his backside is going to be glorious.

Comment

Agreed. It's like if we had a second EU referendum now. I'd expect remain to win, but only by like 1%. I wouldn't expect EVERYONE to change their mind.

Comment

I'm expecting Trump term to come to an end and he'll refuse to accept it.
                They'll have to drag him out of the White House while he screams "I'm still PRESIDENT! I'm STILL THE KIIIIING!"

Comment

Trump: "I've asked the Mexicans, they agree. I've asked the LGBT folks, they agree. I've even asked our Korean friends, everyone agrees. Best. Impeachment. Ever'

Comment

Oh man, is anyone else watching this train wreck?

Comment

I'm waiting for the transcript. The expedited version.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                        Agreed. It's like if we had a second EU referendum now. I'd expect remain to win, but only by like 1%. I wouldn't expect EVERYONE to change their mind.
                        It's massively unlikely in the republican sphere - the Texas GOP opposes critical thinking because it interferes with patriotism and challenges beliefs. Yes really.

Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs that are simply a relabeling of Outcome-Based Education (OBE) (mastery learning) which focus on behavior modification and have the purpose of challenging the student’s fixed beliefs and undermining parental authority.
                        This formed part of its 2012 platform on education policy. It isn't fake news :/ Want to ask again why people vote for Trump?

Comment

Jeff Sessions is gone. Here we go......

Comment

Trump is getting desperate now - if this is a move to get rid of Mueller, he's just digging himself into a bigger hole.

Comment

Senior Republicans warn Trump to back off the Mueller Investigation and let it conclude without interference

Comment

you are a rude, terrible person.

Comment

Working...
                                X