Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

....or the Soup Dragon.

Comment

I picked up a used copy of Breath of the Wild from eBay a few weeks ago now, described as like new. Really I should have just returned that when I saw the condition of the case when it arrived. Anyway, cut to me ordering a brand new copy from Amazon the other day so that I had a nice minty copy. Of course, this copy arrives with a pressure intend from shipping and I've only noticed this after unwrapping it. I really just wanted a clean copy of this game, but the world seems to be against me. Stupid OCD.

Comment

Exclusive: Australian company resurrects flesh of lost species to demonstrate potential of meat grown from cells

"Meatball from long-extinct mammoth created by food firm"

Won't lie. If mammoths were still around I might be tempted to try a burger, or steak, or meatball.

Comment

Originally posted by wheelaa View Post
          https://www.theguardian.com/environm...ated-meat-firm

"Meatball from long-extinct mammoth created by food firm"

Won't lie. If mammoths were still around I might be tempted to try a burger, or steak, or meatball.
          Just goes to show that scientists watch science fiction to get ideas, but switch off after the oohs and aahs, but before the runnning and the screaming.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
            I picked up a used copy of Breath of the Wild from eBay a few weeks ago now, described as like new. Really I should have just returned that when I saw the condition of the case when it arrived. Anyway, cut to me ordering a brand new copy from Amazon the other day so that I had a nice minty copy. Of course, this copy arrives with a pressure intend from shipping and I've only noticed this after unwrapping it. I really just wanted a clean copy of this game, but the world seems to be against me. Stupid OCD.
            Digital. Always pristine.

Comment

Originally posted by kryss View Post
              Digital. Always pristine.
              But you can’t lick the little cart for that yummy tang

Comment

I put a new sticker on my Switch for each digital purchase and lick that.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                  Just had another copy arrive so this has been resolved.

Comment

General observation

Where I work the average age is probably around 40 and the majority haven't had children/never wanted children.
                    In my daughters class most of them are the only child and parents don't want another.
                    Are people just not having kids anymore?

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                      General observation

Where I work the average age is probably around 40 and the majority haven't had children/never wanted children.
                      In my daughters class most of them are the only child and parents don't want another.
                      Quite possibly. I only have 1 and don't want another. Cost is a factor but so is personal life. My son was born when I was 32, so I was getting on a bit I guess. He's 15 now.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                        General observation
                        I think a lot has to do with money and time for yourself/your partner. Pretty much all married guys in my office have to kids, and once I asked to one of them if he'd have two kids if still living in Italy, and he flatly said no. A good wage, strict rules on how much you can work per week, and basically no commute time do wonders for your willingness to have two or more kids.

Comment

I'm just creeping up on 40 and I don't have kids, so I might as well weigh in here.

In short, I just didn't want any. Can't really explain why other than the same reason I don't do a lot of things, didn't want to. I never had that instinct. I'm grateful that my partner isn't bothered either. Was always told "oh, you'll change your mind" but my attitude never changed about it. My indifference to having kids really annoyed and upset some of my extended family as I got older - my grandma on one side became increasingly obsessive about it and in her last few years started actually getting quite nasty, saying I was being selfish and letting the family down. Bear in mind during that period, I was single and still in my 20s! A few of my cousins used to whinge about it too, to the point where I had to tell quite a lot of them to sod off. My folks didn't seem to mind either way though.

I will say that over the years I've encountered a few "childfree by choice" folks and they tend to be a mixed bag. Some are really weirdly bitter about how much they dislike children - I'm not in that camp at all. I don't dislike kids by any stretch (except babies on planes maybe) and if somebody wants kids I'm happy for them! I can totally see the appeal and what they get out of it, it just isn't something I really wanted to do.

Comment

I find it interesting.
                            I never wanted kids, but then I slowly mellowed. I've got two now and then had the snip so I'm not having any more.
                            There is a complex social and economic dynamic. I saw in Japan people are just not having kids anymore.

Comment

I’m 39 and my daughter is only 3months old, given my age I don’t have any desire to have more. All our friends and family had kids long ago, but we’ve always had money and time to do whatever we wanted, we were ready now for a little un.

Comment

I'm in a similar boat, nearing 40 and no kids in our life plan much to my mum's dismay.

I have PCOS and decided in my late teens if I wanted kids I would adopt or foster, the thought of trying and losing a baby would be devastating to my mental health, especially nearly 20 years ago. Before my teens I thought I might want kids but my career/ a steady and having a house was always my priority.

After the awful time I had from my periods what comes with PCOS, combined with a traumatic experience I had in my teens, I very much did not have babies or relationships high in my priorities. It took me a long time to get over my fears and be closer to people. With that combined with fears of teen pregnancy which was rampant in the town I grew up in, bouts of depression and mental health concerns, I was pretty sure by the time I was 18 I didn't want kids, didn't want to risk trying and if I became very keen I would adopt or foster.

Soon after meeting my husband, years before we started dating, we both didn't plan on having kids. We have said since if the circumstances were different we may have considered it if our careers took off well in our 20's and had a home but in reality kids have never been in our life plan. We want a house, a dog, maybe some chickens and perhaps another trip to Disney World if we are lucky. We love each other and the life that we have.

My mum hates not being a grandmother and I think has made it her life's crusade to guilt-trip me about it for the rest of her life. Shame as she would be a great one but that's life I guess. I firmly believe if you don't want kids, you shouldn't have kids.
                                Last edited by Blobcat; 07-05-2023, 21:58.

Comment

Working...
                                X