Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Given that May said she would deliver contradictory things and the total lack of consensus into any idea of how Brexit works, the withdrawal agreement alone was a minor miracle. If anything, that the deal still doesn’t work for people should have proven some time ago that there is no such thing as a good Brexit.

Comment

Much of this is down to May's red lines though, things she wouldn't budge on, mostly to appease the hard right in her party (something she continues to do). This whole thing is down to hard right of the conservative party, there wouldn't have been a referendum had it not been for what became the ERG.

Comment

The red lines were broadly fine, without them you end up with a form of Brexit whereby there's no point leaving at all. As soon as the deal was done and no-one wanted it then it made the decision as simple as No Deal vs Remain. It's always boiled down to how, despite how much of a mess it all is, the decision MP's face is starkly simple - it's just they refuse to decide on it.

Well, I say that. They said they don't want May's Deal and they ruled out No Deal meaning the default position becomes Remain. If they're unsure of committing to that considering the 2016 result > Second Referendum

In short - Cowards.

Comment

[MENTION=42]MartyG[/MENTION] Yep, I completely agree on the hard right point.

Comment

I was a bit late into work today.

It wasn't traffic or me hitting the snooze too many times.

It was the politicians.

Comment

Jeremy Hunt makes his surname look like cockney rhyming slang as he actually attempts and fails to justify May's speech last night. On the other hand he has directly commented on what would happen in the final 96 hours of Brexit if May's deal is defeated for a third time next week:

01 - The UK Withdraws Article 50: He says it's an option but incredibly unlikely
              02 - The EU Offers a Different Extension: Coming from next weeks EU Summit, they may offer a long term extension with several conditions applying such as a second referendum which he doesn't believe parliament would support (they would)

Comment

No-deal should under no circumstances be on the ballot of a second referendum. That would be incredibly irresponsible given the known consequences of that outcome – the politicians should have learnt their lessons on referendum by know. A 2nd ref should be Ireland-safe Leave outcome (eg Norway Plus) versus Remain.

Comment

A new Government E-Petition calling for Article 50 to be revoked has attracted 675,000 votes

As usual, push for a public drive and aim for the wrong target. A second referendum they might very reluctantly go for but an outright revocation of A50 isn't going to happen so it's pointless aiming for that option.

Comment

If I'm right in thinking Norway+ isn't on the table and never has been despite a couple of MP's repeating calls to adopt it. I can't remember why but I have it in my head that MP's and the EU ruled it out long ago.

Comment

The reason it's not on the table is because of Theresa May's red lines. It involves being an EEA member which means accepting the four freedoms, including the free movement of people.
                      Last edited by MartyG; 21-03-2019, 10:10.

Comment

Ergo - Revoke, no point at all being that closely aligned and still outside the EU

The laugh is that Macron is pushing for reform and playing hardball but it's being shut down to the idea of reform that was one of the factors that helped lead to Brexit in the first place. Still, it wouldn't be surprising for Macron not to be around to see that reform either.

Comment

Petition to revoke article 50 is "down for maintenance":

The government repeatedly claims exiting the EU is 'the will of the people'. We need to put a stop to this claim by proving the strength of public support now, for remaining in the EU. A People's Vote may not happen - so vote now.

Like hell! I sense foul play. It hit well over 600,000 last night.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaki View Post
                            Petition to revoke article 50 is "down for maintenance":

The government repeatedly claims exiting the EU is 'the will of the people'. We need to put a stop to this claim by proving the strength of public support now, for remaining in the EU. A People's Vote may not happen - so vote now.

Like hell! I sense foul play. It hit well over 600,000 last night.
                            I think it's down because it's being hammered, which says as much as the number of signatures on it.

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                            The laugh is that Macron is pushing for reform and playing hardball but it's being shut down to the idea of reform that was one of the factors that helped lead to Brexit in the first place. Still, it wouldn't be surprising for Macron not to be around to see that reform either.
                            I guess the thing with this is that the EU will always need reform and pretty much every new organisation will but reform should come from the members who stay rather than for the members who leave. You sell to those who will buy rather than change your product for those who never will. I don't believe reform or promises of reform would have undone any of the damage your media and personalities like Farage created and fostered over many years.
                            Last edited by Dogg Thang; 21-03-2019, 10:41.

Comment

I can get on it, now up to 767,623 votes

Comment

Frustrated that MPs never answer straight questions?

Media briefing notes for Kwasi Kwarteng instruct him to avoid saying MPs face a choice between backing the PM’s deal and a no-deal Brexit. | ITV National News

This is because they're given scripts.

Comment

Working...
                                X