Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ugh... not more of this. Someone just make it stop now.

Comment

It's like trying to push a grand piano through your front door.

Comment

Except the piano looked better where it was. And nobody has even really tried to move it yet. And the piano is now on fire. And everyone is utterly bored and wish they hadn’t even mentioned the piano in the first place.

Comment

One or two EU diplomat's take on May's pleas at the summit last night

“It was 90 minutes of nothing,” one EU source said. “She didn’t even give clarity if she is organising a vote. Asked three times what she would do if she lost the vote, she couldn’t say. It was ****ing awful. Dreadful. Evasive even by her standards.”
          “She very much dodged these questions,” a second EU source said
          “She was not convincing. It was not clear if she had a plan B; it was not clear if she had a plan at all.”

Comment

And th daily mail and farage are telling people to pour petrol on the piano and smash it up to get it through the door

Comment

Meanwhile, the government is trying to suppress what's going on with the no deal contingencies by forcing NDAs.

Sky's Adam Parsons reveals a culture of secrecy surrounding no-deal Brexit preparations by government departments.

Why would you want to hide what's going on there I wonder?

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                Meanwhile, the government is trying to suppress what's going on with the no deal contingencies by forcing NDAs.

Sky's Adam Parsons reveals a culture of secrecy surrounding no-deal Brexit preparations by government departments.

Why would you want to hide what's going on there I wonder?
                Sorry, but that report is utter bull****. Typical Sky News tabloid rubbish.

They have two data-points; the number of NDAs (not "gagging orders", FFS) and that some people have "felt frustrated" by them.

They've then spun that out into an entire fear-mongering article about a "culture of secrecy".

There are countless good reasons for NDAs to exist. The article acts like they've all been made to hold back a tide of juicy information that the government wants to keep from the people; in reality, I bet if you knew what they were about, 99.9% of them would be boring/inconsequential to practically everyone. I signed an NDA when I went on a business trip a few years ago, back when I worked for a car firm. Five guys at Suzuki in the mid-2000s would've loved to know what it was about; the rest of the world wouldn't care.

The government obviously shouldn't keep secrets from the people purely in its own self-interest or to protect its own hide, but I think the government does need to be able to keep some matters private just in order to function, and in this era of social media, that probably means people need to sign NDAs. That being said, I'd be keen to know if an independent body exists that has to audit all this.

Comment

That petition is at 2.6 million after a short time of crashing because so many people were trying to sign it.
                  With Brexit just days away, and the possibility of no deal looming large, a petition asking parliament to cancel Brexit has gone viral

Petitions Committee:
                  "Between 80,000 and 100,000 people have been simultaneously viewing the petition to revoke article 50. Nearly 2,000 signatures are being completed every minute.

The rate of signing is the highest the site has ever had to deal with and we have had to make some changes to ensure the site remains stable and open for signatures and new petitions. Thanks for bearing with us."

I'm trying to dip into comments section on Facebook on various articles to try and see what people are thinking outside my like-minded friends bubble and a lot of people are saying "We had our vote, leave means leave, no deal", which I just find so frustrating.

Firstly, the whole notion of "We had our vote" is ridiculous because that's like saying "We had our vote in 1832 in the Reform of Parliament. We must never ever have a change of mind about anything political, ever!" or "We had our vote in a referendum on whether the United Kingdom should remain part of the Community. This referendum was duly held in 1975 with a 67% vote in favour of continued membership. Remain means remain!"

Some people can regret their decisions:

Secondly, No Deal is an absolutely awful proposition and the information of 2016 differs significantly to what we know now. It just feels like May wants to achieve leaving, no matter what the cost.

Comment

It's an amazing play by the EU though to be fair.

MP's and May constantly try to shift the blame onto the EU so they turn around and say 'look, you've s*** the bed that badly on this that we'll even give you and extra fortnight for nothing to ensure you genuinely have the time to avoid the worst outcome'

It completely demolishes May's threat for her last vote by giving MP's enough time to defy her whilst at the same time if No Deal happens none of the UK MP's or May can pretend there wasn't time to think of an alternative thereby shifting all the blame for all parties squarely on May again. She's going to get utterly annihilated next week.

Also-What that petition sign up page is missing is a field to state how you voted in the referendum so they can evidence what % of people signing were previously Leave voters

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                      There are countless good reasons for NDAs to exist. The article acts like they've all been made to hold back a tide of juicy information that the government wants to keep from the people; in reality, I bet if you knew what they were about, 99.9% of them would be boring/inconsequential to practically everyone. I signed an NDA when I went on a business trip a few years ago, back when I worked for a car firm. Five guys at Suzuki in the mid-2000s would've loved to know what it was about; the rest of the world wouldn't care.
                      Normally I'd agree, but this is May's government who have a history of shadiness.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                        Also-What that petition sign up page is missing is a field to state how you voted in the referendum so they can evidence what % of people signing were previously Leave voters
                        Also also anyone can sign that petition as long as they have a valid email address, multiple times if they like. I have signed is because why not? but it is a totally pointless concept.

Comment

The results get filtered when the petition closes, if you listen to any of the debates that follow, they usually give numbers of displayed and actual.

Comment

After May's speech yesterday to Brussels, Macron has given her a 5% chance of passing her deal next week. Donald Tusk has said that Macron is being optimistic.

Comment

So much time wasting and now it seems with two weeks added, will May delay her third vote to kill the time?

A Tory MP has just indicated that if Indicative Votes are deployed and MPs vote in favour of options that go against the 2016 Referendum, the government will ignore them

Comment

It's just more of the same on the HoC at the moment, stock replies to all the points raised.

"the government intends to honour the results of the referendum"

21 Days till No Deal Brexit.

Comment

Working...
                                X